Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charge

Prowler

Sep 29, 2020
TEXAS
I am thinking of getting new car for wife but not sure new or pre-owed new. I can get one with 3200 miles on it for $5,000 cheaper than new but it has a $2,000 destination charge but I dont see were new ones have that. Can anyone tell me if new cars have a destination charge added to them.? That $2,000 difference could make a difference on which one i buy.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
I am thinking of getting new car for wife but not sure new or pre-owed new. I can get one with 3200 miles on it for $5,000 cheaper than new but it has a $2,000 destination charge but I dont see were new ones have that. Can anyone tell me if new cars have a destination charge added to them.? That $2,000 difference could make a difference on which one i buy.
The $2,000 delivery charge on the used car is what it costs to have it shipped from wherever it is to wherever you are.

All new Teslas have a mandatory $1200 destination/doc fee added to the price you see in the configurator.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and Prowler

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England

If you are willing/able to go to where the used car is located, you could avoid the $2k transportation cost e.g., fly to location and then drive it home. Otherwise, you would have to pay the $2k or so (it's an estimate). The fee is similar to what dealers like CarMax and Carvana charge to ship cars from a distant location. The further away the car is, the higher the cost. Also keep in mind that the transportation cost is non-refundable so if you don't like the car for whatever reason, you are still on the hook for the $2k unless it was significantly misrepresented in some way.

If the price difference, factoring in transportation cost, is only $3k I would suggest going new.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC