Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charger Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I'm well past any limited range anxiety I had when I first got my Model S. However, these days I'm having a new kind of anxiety - destination charger anxiety. I'm increasingly worried I'm going to arrive somewhere that has 1-2 HPWC or 14-50s and find them occupied for the night. I've run into this at two hotels before, and the valets did their best to shuffle me in, but as I'm getting to the hotel I continue to be worried.

It doesn't help that the majority of MS and MX are of the 40A/48A charger variety, which means they'll be taking up any 80A HPWCs for longer durations.

Hopefully this is like range anxiety - something I really shouldn't worry about. But today I arrived with a limited charge and was pretty worried upon arrival. Both chargers were vacant, so it was misplaced worry. Still, I think as the production numbers keep increasing, my concerns are unlikely to go away.

A good reminder for all of us that we should leave our contact information on our car when away from it for extended periods of time (like overnight) - even a note saying 'I've let the front desk know to contact me if another owner needs to charge, they'll ring my room'.

Agreed, Bonnie.

I had a disturbing encounter with the valet at the Ahwahnee in Yosemite. He instructed me to drive around and connect my car myself, so I offered to give him my cell phone and room number in case it was needed. He said, "you're a guest of the hotel, and you got here first. It's first come first served." I don't know if that means that they just don't feel like dealing with it, but I wasn't expecting the response. I wound up just charging to a minimum needed range and then moving the car immediately thereafter. In the morning, I moved it back and "topped up" before we left.

Agreed, Bonnie.

I had a disturbing encounter with the valet at the Ahwahnee in Yosemite. He instructed me to drive around and connect my car myself, so I offered to give him my cell phone and room number in case it was needed. He said, "you're a guest of the hotel, and you got here first. It's first come first served." I don't know if that means that they just don't feel like dealing with it, but I wasn't expecting the response. I wound up just charging to a minimum needed range and then moving the car immediately thereafter. In the morning, I moved it back and "topped up" before we left.

I probably would have just left my cell phone number on the car and slept thru the night :). Very nice of you.

I'm well past any limited range anxiety I had when I first got my Model S. However, these days I'm having a new kind of anxiety - destination charger anxiety. I'm increasingly worried I'm going to arrive somewhere that has 1-2 HPWC or 14-50s and find them occupied for the night. I've run into this at two hotels before, and the valets did their best to shuffle me in, but as I'm getting to the hotel I continue to be worried.

It doesn't help that the majority of MS and MX are of the 40A/48A charger variety, which means they'll be taking up any 80A HPWCs for longer durations.

Hopefully this is like range anxiety - something I really shouldn't worry about. But today I arrived with a limited charge and was pretty worried upon arrival. Both chargers were vacant, so it was misplaced worry. Still, I think as the production numbers keep increasing, my concerns are unlikely to go away.

I am confused as to why you are so averse to calling them beforehand to notify them you will be needing the charger and having them reserve the spot that day.

Well, I understand this perfectly and have experienced it as well. Last year I had a trip to northern LA and searched around for a destination charger since my last charge would be at Tejon Ranch. I absolutely needed destination charging since a return to Tejon ranch would be impossible, Burbank hadn't been built, Rancho Cucamonga was 30 miles to the east, and LAX wasn't an enjoyable choice. Well, I made the mistake of believing Tesla's info as follows:

Pacific Palms Resort

This sound great, FOUR HPWC's should easily be no problem, even in Southern CA with Teslas on every street corner. Unfortunately, I didn't check Plugshare (BIG MISTAKE). So it turns out that these four HPWCs magically turn into ONE and a bunch of very expensive J1772's (up to $3.50/hr). Oh, there was a 2nd HPWC but it was locked and in a FIRE ZONE specifically restricted for the resort owner). I was fortunate that there was a P85 just finishing up when I arrived and graciously relinquished the HPWC. I charged to 100% overnight, just to be on the safe in case I wasn't able to get another charge the next night, left my room number on the dash and said to call if anybody needed the HPWC (my charge wouldn't finish until 1-2am). The J1772's were populated with a BMW i3, and Leafs so charging there wasn't even an option. Now, I don't know if anyone here knows this resort owner, but please inform him that I will never again stay at his resort.

I used more than a dozen Destination chargers on a 33 day road trip in 2015. Most were located at hotels. Some in valet, and some in self parking. I didn't have a single problem. In every case, I was the only car charging. I also planned to use a few public Level 2 chargers (overnight). Those were more of an issue. I one case, I had to join a new network to gain access. In another case I couldn't "wedge" into the parking space. Some equipment was inoperative, and another stall was occupied. Plus, 18 miles of range per hour (30A), is a joke. On a road trip, you'll need all night to fill up. I now avoid public Level 2 chargers, but I have come to trust Tesla's Destination chargers. However, I prefer to pick locations with 2 or more HPWCs, and locations with 64A to 80A service. And if you have a backup plan to the HPWC, it requires more planning, but it will completely remove any anxiety.

Agreed, Bonnie.

Ohmman, tsk, tsk! All the cool cats and kittens have been following the dispute between Delaware North and the National Park Service and Aramark with the pending trademark litigation that concerns the historic names of many places withing Yosemite. You were at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel.

(Sorry, you are one of the more informed and well-reasoned posters on this site, so I could not resist giving you a small nudge.) :biggrin:

I am confused as to why you are so averse to calling them beforehand to notify them you will be needing the charger and having them reserve the spot that day.

Have you had luck with hotels doing this? I'd be surprised if they'd want to be involved in scheduling. It also seems slightly unfair to do this, then have someone else show up expecting the charger and find that I'd only beaten them to it by calling ahead. There's maybe room for a solution here but I think it'd have to be driven by the hotel.

Ohmman, tsk, tsk! All the cool cats and kittens have been following the dispute between Delaware North and the National Park Service and Aramark with the pending trademark litigation that concerns the historic names of many places withing Yosemite. You were at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel.

Indeed. Delaware North... which explains the food. <sob>

Have you had luck with hotels doing this? I'd be surprised if they'd want to be involved in scheduling. It also seems slightly unfair to do this, then have someone else show up expecting the charger and find that I'd only beaten them to it by calling ahead. There's maybe room for a solution here but I think it'd have to be driven by the hotel.

I spend most of my time on the other forum at Tesla’s website and have read many accounts from other people doing that, so yes, that is pretty commonly done. I generally use AirBNB, since the destination charger hotels are usually more expensive than I want to use. And I am going to be sending a message to the host of the AirBNB I’ll be using at the end of April to see if they have an outdoor outlet I can use. I did stop by to check out one of the hotels here in my town that got HPWCs set up on Tesla’s destination charger program, and they have that prepared very nicely. They have two orange traffic cones that they keep in the flower bed across the sidewalk from the charging spaces, when they aren’t being used for charging most of the time. Then, when people book a room and let them know they will need to charge there, they move a cone into one of the spots to make sure it’s ready for the Tesla-driving guest.

Also, I don’t see how it’s unfair. That’s being wise and prepared. If everyone called ahead, it would be better all around for everyone. If you are the first one to book, you get it reserved. If someone books later and says they want the charger when they book a room, they get to find out that it is already reserved, and they will know that ahead of time to make arrangements, rather than getting an unpleasant surprise.

(Sorry, you are one of the more informed and well-reasoned posters on this site, so I could not resist giving you a small nudge.) :biggrin:

The really cool cats and kittens will always call it the Ahwahnee. :)

Always have a backup plan.

I was staying at a cottage in northern Michigan and was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a 110 charge while I was parked there for the week. Even though I would only get 2 miles per hour, that would satisfy my daily usage driving around as long as I was plugged in when not driving. I drove to a plugshare location in town and made sure I could charge there as a last resort.

I spend most of my time on the other forum at Tesla’s website and have read many accounts from other people doing that, so yes, that is pretty commonly done. I generally use AirBNB, since the destination charger hotels are usually more expensive than I want to use. And I am going to be sending a message to the host of the AirBNB I’ll be using at the end of April to see if they have an outdoor outlet I can use. I did stop by to check out one of the hotels here in my town that got HPWCs set up on Tesla’s destination charger program, and they have that prepared very nicely. They have two orange traffic cones that they keep in the flower bed across the sidewalk from the charging spaces, when they aren’t being used for charging most of the time. Then, when people book a room and let them know they will need to charge there, they move a cone into one of the spots to make sure it’s ready for the Tesla-driving guest.

Also, I don’t see how it’s unfair. That’s being wise and prepared. If everyone called ahead, it would be better all around for everyone. If you are the first one to book, you get it reserved. If someone books later and says they want the charger when they book a room, they get to find out that it is already reserved, and they will know that aheayd of time to make arrangements, rather than getting an unpleasant surprise.[/QUdOTE]

Cones should be used to stop a HPWC spot from being ICEd, not to stop another hotel guest with a Tesla from charging because it's being saved for someone else who called ahead.

Cones should be used to stop a HPWC spot from being ICEd, not to stop another hotel guest with a Tesla from charging because it's being saved for someone else who called ahead.

That’s mostly what it’s for of course, but if they called ahead, the hotel could let the guests know of the upcoming conflict of multiple people wanting to use it, so plans could start being arranged of who could use it during the day or who might really need it that night, etc. Still really valuable to call ahead, rather than just show up and hope everything is good.

Many locations have at least 2 HPWCs, plus a public L2 charger. Although, some of the older HPWC installations only have a single charger. I would like to see many more vendors installing Destination chargers. I wish the Tesla owners had literature to hand out to vendors so hotel managers and other vendors could learn about the benefits, and who they could contact for more detailed information.

Many locations have at least 2 HPWCs, plus a public L2 charger. Although, some of the older HPWC installations only have a single charger. I would like to see many more vendors installing Destination chargers. I wish the Tesla owners had literature to hand out to vendors so hotel managers and other vendors could learn about the benefits, and who they could contact for more detailed information.
Tesla DOES have brochures that can be handed out to hotels, restaurants, etc. They sent me a pack of them and I just received last week. Send an email to "[email protected]" and request that they send some to you.

destination1.jpg
destination4.jpg
destination2.jpg
destination5.jpg
destination3.jpg
destination6.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla DOES have brochures that can be handed out to hotels, restaurants, etc. They sent me a pack of them and I just received last week. Send an email to "[email protected]" and request that they send some to you.

If ever a single post deserved Reputation Points, ^THIS^ does. Thanks!!
(When I'm traveling I don't usually dress to make as good an impression as a slick glossy book can)

View attachment 114572View attachment 114571View attachment 114570View attachment 114569View attachment 114568View attachment 114567

Dave,

I have a couple of packages of the brochure that gavine references. The next time we get together I can give you serveral. I have asked my Tesla contact if a pdf version was available and the answer is not yet.

It is not feasible for me to mail these brochures out to our club membership, but I can hand them out at club events to those members who are active in promoting destination charging.

Larry