Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on my Model X to arrive, and my wive and I are planning a very long trip in it shortly after it does. (Nothing will be locked down prior to delivery.) I am planning the trip and foreseeing a few SuperChargers and then a stay at a hotel with a Destination Charger. Same thing the next day. And the next. Etc.

Here's the question: How do I know that there will be an open Destination Charger when I get there? What if they have one or two and some of you guys get there first that night? And you plan to charge all night like I am? Do I just stay another night and try to get to the charger before someone else gets there?

What's the protocol for such things?

First come first served. Some places with a valet are very knowledgeable and will swap cars once charging is complete (others have no clue). If no valet, leave a note on the wiper with your phone number and ask for a text when they are done with the charger. Odds are destination charger will be available if it is not in a very well travelled area (Yosemite valley, vegas, NYC, etc) but here Superchargers should have you covered.

Also before your trip check for chargers around the hotel to see if you actually need the destination charge. Backup plan if it is unavailable: maybe local charger near a breakfast place or charge a little more at a Supercharger the night before to make it to the next one the next morning.

Reactions: JHWJR
We've made several road trips including a 2,000 mile multi-state CA NV UT CO road trip last week which included several destinations with Tesla High Power Wall Chargers ("HPWC") at our motels.... and NEVER had anybody else using these chargers. Yes NEVER. However we HAVE had a couple of motels which had 2 HPWCs but only 1 was working... and another where their HPWC wasn't working (Breckenridge) which wasn't an issue since they had a 48A / 207V Clipper Creek J1772 charger.

In addition we've always found plenty of Tesla Superchargers on our route using EVTripPlanner.com and our Tesla's navigation. 26,000 miles and several long "road trips" and never came close to running out of power even though we take back roads and drive FAST. :cool:

I'm waiting on my Model X to arrive, and my wive and I are planning a very long trip in it shortly after it does. (Nothing will be locked down prior to delivery.) I am planning the trip and foreseeing a few SuperChargers and then a stay at a hotel with a Destination Charger. Same thing the next day. And the next. Etc.

Here's the question: How do I know that there will be an open Destination Charger when I get there? What if they have one or two and some of you guys get there first that night? And you plan to charge all night like I am? Do I just stay another night and try to get to the charger before someone else gets there?

What's the protocol for such things?
This is really simple. Don't leave it to chance and wonder and worry and fret. Call ahead and ask to reserve it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Racerx22b
This is really simple. Don't leave it to chance and wonder and worry and fret. Call ahead and ask to reserve it.

I didn't know you could do that, and that's somewhat helpful, but here's what's going on...

I am going to be in the southwest where it can be large stretches between SuperChargers. Lets say I book a hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas, at Lookout Point Lakeside Inn. I have a reservation. I'm staying there. But their Destination Charger is full already. You say "call ahead," but that doesn't mean that the clerk will say it's available. The clerk might just say that someone already reserved it. And it's a long way to the next SuperCharger (at the moment) and I don't want to spend 8 hours charging at some other hotel or grocery store because the Destination Charger was booked before me at the Lookout Point Lakeside Inn.

And let's say I intend to stay somewhere 100 miles from a SuperCharger and use the Destination Charger every night for 5 nights. What if YOU show up with the same plans?

And I guess the answer(s), from what I glean from above, are:

1. Know that these Destination Chargers tend to be open, and you can largely count on luck;
2. Make sure you have enough charge left when you get to your hotel that you could get to the next SuperCharger if possible;
3. Try to work it out if someone else needs the Destination Charger too.

I might leave a note on my car letting someone who really needs the charger get a hold of me if I'm taking up the spot. It would be great if others did that as well.

I didn't know you could do that, and that's somewhat helpful, but here's what's going on...

I might leave a note on my car letting someone who really needs the charger get a hold of me if I'm taking up the spot. It would be great if others did that as well.

You should also consider using the PlugShare app to Check In to each public charging station so other PlugShare users can contact you through the app: How do I message another user? - Frequently Asked Questions

When traveling to Boulder Co in October, I specifically reserved a night at a motel with destination charger (Best Western plus). Due to remodeling there was no charging available. The desk attendant didn't even know that chargers had been disconnected. Call ahead. and have a plan B. We had enough juice to go to Denver and charge but it added an extra 1/2 hour to our trip. It was still a nice ride to Santa Fe that day. You have to take some of this in stride. Superchargers in Green River UT. not operating drove at 60MPH while other passing me by at 80MPH. to Grande Junction, how embarrassing. Glad I had a 30%reserve. We used it.

The staff at some hotels are blissfully unaware of the destination chargers, so don't count on the front desk to be knowledgeable. I have called a few, and they direct me to maintenance--good luck getting the maintenance man to answer the phone!

But, check PlugShare, have a back-up plan in case the charger is broken, and if by some reason the charger is in use, or is ICE'd, ask the front desk to try to track down the owner so you could arrange a compromise charging time.

Only once did I experience competition for a destination charger. I was lucky that I saw another Tesla in the parking lot as I was driving up to the charger. The other owner and I worked out charging times--he could use it for 5 hours, and I could plug in overnight after 10PM.

Reactions: Rocky_H and JHWJR
My wife and I just got back from a 2700 mile road trip from Loveland, CO to Homer, LA. We only saw 1 other Tesla at 2 of the numerous Superchargers; we were the only Tesla at all other Superchargers. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Dallas DFW South for a few days for business. They did not have a Destination charger. We chatted with the General Manager and encouraged him to install a Tesla Destination charger. We charged one day at the Irving public library that was 1.5 mile away; very slow, 200V 24A. We ended up using a Destination charger at a Hampton Inn that was 4 miles away (220V 40A). I called up and received permission (even though I am sure the person I talked to had no idea what I was talking about). There is a Tesla Supercharger currently under construction in Irving so should not have a problem in a few weeks. In Homer, LA we stayed with relatives for a few days. They had a 6-20 outlet (220V 20A). I made several adapters and have now used 2 of them; http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

And let's say I intend to stay somewhere 100 miles from a SuperCharger and use the Destination Charger every night for 5 nights. What if YOU show up with the same plans?.
Seems unlikely that one person would plan to use the same destination charger every night for 5 nights in a row, much less two people. That's a lot of daytime driving for going back to the same hotel each night.

Reactions: gavine and JHWJR

I am going to be in the southwest where it can be large stretches between SuperChargers. Lets say I book a hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas, at Lookout Point Lakeside Inn. I have a reservation. I'm staying there. But their Destination Charger is full already. You say "call ahead," but that doesn't mean that the clerk will say it's available. The clerk might just say that someone already reserved it. And it's a long way to the next SuperCharger (at the moment) and I don't want to spend 8 hours charging at some other hotel or grocery store because the Destination Charger was booked before me at the Lookout Point Lakeside Inn.

And let's say I intend to stay somewhere 100 miles from a SuperCharger and use the Destination Charger every night for 5 nights. What if YOU show up with the same plans?

1. Know that these Destination Chargers tend to be open, and you can largely count on luck;
2. Make sure you have enough charge left when you get to your hotel that you could get to the next SuperCharger if possible;

We took our X on its maiden voyage from central PA to Key West and return, stopping at various points overnight. Most of the time we used Superchargers which were either totally empty or had one other car. The only one that was inconvenient was Savannah which is in a pay parking lot at the airport.

We used destination charging a lot - a B&B on Amelia Island where we were the first guest to ever use their HPWC, the Belmond Charleston Place where the valets delivered a fully charged car each morning, the Aloft Raleigh where we were the only ones using the HPWC, the Fairfield Inn in Key West where we were nearly ICEd but got it resolved. I'm a fan of destination charging because it's just like charging at home; plug in and and have a good night's sleep then start off fully charged with no waiting!

Reactions: vrykolas and JHWJR
I have a reservation. I'm staying there. But their Destination Charger is full already. You say "call ahead," but that doesn't mean that the clerk will say it's available. The clerk might just say that someone already reserved it. And it's a long way to the next SuperCharger (at the moment) and I don't want to spend 8 hours charging at some other hotel or grocery store because the Destination Charger was booked before me at the Lookout Point Lakeside Inn.
Uh huh. But that is information you now have to figure into your plans. See how that's better than not knowing anything and just wondering and worrying?

Seems unlikely that one person would plan to use the same destination charger every night for 5 nights in a row

Ever go to the beach? New Orleans? Key West? Sedona? White Sands? There's all kinds of great places I'm likely to go and stay a week at one cool place, and I would expect my choices to be influence by the presence of a Destination Charger. (I've driven across the country 17 times now. I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere...)

[QUOTE="JHWJR, post: 2012278, member: 57482"

[/QUOTE]

Even here in California at top line hotels when we arrive the L2 Tesla charge spot is (or spots are) open.
The only exception was a TMC Connect weekend so the Monterey Hyatt was swarming with Model S's but even then the valet folks took care of us overnight. Just FYI.

Ever go to the beach? New Orleans? Key West? Sedona? White Sands? There's all kinds of great places I'm likely to go and stay a week at one cool place, and I would expect my choices to be influence by the presence of a Destination Charger. (I've driven across the country 17 times now. I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere...)
And while there you drive >100 miles each day so you would need to use the destination charger every night? You couldn't just charge every other night or every third night?

ARKANSAS caught my attention.... a super charger black hole as I found out when I borrowed a friend's Tesla and went across I40 into Tennessee. Rocky_H maybe you have had better luck reserving destination chargers, but we had zero luck trying that. The line we always got was "First come first serve, and we have no way to reserve one."

• Disagree
Reactions: Swift
ARKANSAS caught my attention.... a super charger black hole as I found out when I borrowed a friend's Tesla and went across I40 into Tennessee. Rocky_H maybe you have had better luck reserving destination chargers, but we had zero luck trying that. The line we always got was "First come first serve, and we have no way to reserve one."
Every place does their own thing of course. I have heard of several hotels that keep a couple of orange traffic cones available, and if someone calls to ask to get one of the spots, they will put the cone out in one of the spaces to hold it for them. The one time I did stay at a hotel and used charging was before there was an official destination charging program, so it was just a 14-50 outlet the hotel had put in. That interstate didn't even have Superchargers on it yet, so I didn't bother to call to reserve, because it was really highly unlikely for anyone to coincidentally be wanting to use it the same day as we would be there, and it was empty.

Reactions: FlyF4
On my first trip to central Georgia the hotel said they had electric car charging spots reserved, but when I got there I discovered that it was just courtesy parking. There was only a 15 amp outlet that was black and melted. When I finally got up with the maintenance person he directed me to the golf cart parking area which had outlets rated at 20 amps - but the adapter tells the car to only use 13amps, and can't be raised. That charged the car at 4 mph which was all I really needed.