Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charger at Raidis Estate in Coonawarra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used this one? I've checked the website and it looks like a cellar door but without overnight accommodation. What's the etiquette on charging in situations like this? I'd buy some wine but a full charge is costing them money. Do they charge for the service? If not, should one offer to pay??

It is a draw to get you to buy wine. In practice, buy a bottle sit and drink and enjoy. If they do snacks or food so much the better. Do NOT offer to pay for the power. Should you choose to buy more, that is your choice. Did much the same in the Hunter valley.

Vineyards and all the other regional business play a part in the take up of Electric vehicles in this country, now unless the operators of such an establishment are EV fanatics it's highly likely theyve installed a charging point to attract customers, and well played too them I say, just like operators offering pay TV, free wifi or any other hook EV Chargers will become the norm.
even if the business charge cost price for the electricity I'd be happy to pay for it, a Model S costs about $40-$60 less per 400 km than a petrol car, I would be more than happy to spend that savings at the establishment that provided the charge facility in the first place as long as the service was reasonable.

Hi Blue Heaven,
I have a similar issue with regional trip ranges that I am now contacting hotel/motels wineries etc on the presumption that most will have a 440V 3phase power requirement for their everyday operations. I carry a new portable 3 phase charger(care of Timpoo) ,means that even a short exposure will load 22Kw is very helpful. Most Caravan Parks have 10A/ some 15Amps available but needs an overnight stay in many cases depending on charge levels etc. In my case I cover huge Kms per day in runs -so pausing for charge is a major factor. As I get confirmed info for country Victoria and Tasmania I will share...:biggrin:

Hi Blue Heaven,
I have a similar issue with regional trip ranges that I am now contacting hotel/motels wineries etc on the presumption that most will have a 440V 3phase power requirement for their everyday operations. I carry a new portable 3 phase charger(care of Timpoo) ,means that even a short exposure will load 22Kw is very helpful. Most Caravan Parks have 10A/ some 15Amps available but needs an overnight stay in many cases depending on charge levels etc. In my case I cover huge Kms per day in runs -so pausing for charge is a major factor. As I get confirmed info for country Victoria and Tasmania I will share...:biggrin:

looking forward to driving around Tasmania, the sooner the better, we've been all the way around the rest of the country many years ago but not the Apple isle.

Hi Blue Heaven,

Hey Keiron,
Just had the sparky here who installed my HPWC (for a ride), say that he has now installed 2 HPWC at the Richmond-Henty in Portland and will be upgrading them to 3 phase when Tesla makes them available.

Hi Brewster,

Thats good news - just done the Calcs with EV tripplanner. Says I need 65KwHr from Richmond to Portland- easy.!

I will contact the Richmond-Henty and quiz further re rates etc and 3 phase Plug accessibility options.

The reality is that an overnight stay on HPWC is more than enough anyway.

Will pass on Country data as I get it.. Thanks again

Hi Brewster,

Thats good news - just done the Calcs with EV tripplanner. Says I need 65KwHr from Richmond to Portland- easy.!

I will contact the Richmond-Henty and quiz further re rates etc and 3 phase Plug accessibility options.

The reality is that an overnight stay on HPWC is more than enough anyway.

Will pass on Country data as I get it.. Thanks again

I have used a full charge with range mode from Richmond SC and ~30km remaining when I get to Portland. I actually did the trip but dropped in to wpapua in Warrnambool and charged ~30km while we had a chat and got home ~60km remaining.