Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charger help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a small Family trip this weekend had a question about destination chargers. How do you know if you're allowed to use them? I'm in a situation that I must charge somehow but not sure how. I will be a Sandusky, OH. Any help would be great. We are still a little scared lol. Our hotel doesn't have any and wouldn't even get me access to 110v

#1 - Have you downloaded the Plugshare app? There are numerous charging options available around Sandusky.
#2 - Call the establishment with the destination charger. Some are limited to patrons.
#3 - Without details of your car or the trip you plan, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get to and from Sandusky from one of the nearest superchargers in northern OH. Check out evtripplanner.com for trip planning reassurance.
Have fun and travel safely.

After a while you plan your trip and stay at "destination" hotels that have chargers for RVs: 50 amp 220 volt. Maybe hotels/motels in OH don't have those, but Milli and I drove to Canada 5 years ago with our first S, before superchargers existed. Spent some time on the phone, but mainly checked the hotel amenities, which often would list "50 amp", so RVs can plug in. We used motels with 50 amp at night, RV parks with 50 amp during the day with pleasant long walks to town for coffee and pie as a bonus. Often your "destination" hotel will be within walking distance of 50 amp charging, sometimes at another hotel. Back in the day, some people packed a folding bike just for these occasions.

I travel that area pretty extensively. The holiday inn Express in Sandusky has chargers. Not sure where you staying but most hotels have some sort of plug but dont love the idea if theres a cord that may cause a trip hazard. Not sure how long you will be there, or which direction your coming from, but Sheffield, OH and Strongsville, OH superchargers just opened so those are options as well on the way in and out.

Lima, oh to Sandusky and then back. It said only 10% round trip and I don't trust it with the cold weather. We are staying at a water park but doesn't have any chargers. Not sure if other hotels will let you or not. It looks like I may have to go to Toledo on the way home.

If you're referring to Tesla's destination charging network, you're allowed to use the destination charging if the establishment which installed it is your destination. Seems self-explanatory.

Paid charging networks, such as ChargePoint, are a different animal. Those charging stations are open to whoever wants to pay the fee.

I see your dilemma.
There are a number of destination charger options in Sandusky but since it's not at or close to your hotel you'll have to sit with the car while it charges which would be a pain. Unless you're happy with an hour or so at the charger while you eat somewhere close.
If it becomes a problem I'd just plan a little longer drive home and come through Maumee.

EV Trip Planner shows you will use 30.3 kWh. Depending on your battery size, you could:
1 Try to make the round trip
2 Circle back by going to Supercharger in Strongsville, OH
3. Take a detour on your way back to the SC in Maumee, OH

If you drive somewhere while there that has L-2 or Tesla Destination charger you may want to use it while you are there. Make sure to get permission if they are the Tesla as you will not be charged. Any amount you recharge will give you that much more comfort in making the round trip. Also remember that SPEED will use a lot more energy and reduce your range. If it is a vacation, then slow down and enjoy the view. It is only a little over 100 miles so will not take that much more time to get there slower.

If it were me I would forget about slow charging and just take option 3 above. jmho

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Without knowing details about the car and exact addresses, I went with EV Trip Planner on a Model S with 21" rims from Lima to Sandusky and back, with a cabin temp of 70, 500 pounds of passengers, and 30 degrees outside. 72.7 kWh / 249 rated miles round trip, give or take for exact addresses. If you have an S60-S75, I'd plan on making a detour. With an 85-100, you're probably fine, but might want to make dinner plans for the ride home near a destination charger.

If it were me, I'd just plan on a quick trip to a destination charger to plug in temporarily after the water park. Drop the family off at the hotel and drive over to the Motel 6 in Milan, it's five miles away. Plug in until someone asks you what you're doing. They have four (!) destination chargers there at 16kWh, so something will be available and it shouldn't take long to hit a comfortable level.

Without knowing details about the car and exact addresses, I went with EV Trip Planner on a Model S with 21" rims from Lima to Sandusky and back, with a cabin temp of 70, 500 pounds of passengers, and 30 degrees outside. 72.7 kWh / 249 rated miles round trip, give or take for exact addresses. If you have an S60-S75, I'd plan on making a detour. With an 85-100, you're probably fine, but might want to make dinner plans for the ride home near a destination charger.

If it were me, I'd just plan on a quick trip to a destination charger to plug in temporarily after the water park. Drop the family off at the hotel and drive over to the Motel 6 in Milan, it's five miles away. Plug in until someone asks you what you're doing. They have four (!) destination chargers there at 16kWh, so something will be available and it shouldn't take long to hit a comfortable level.
Yes I have a 75. I just never used a destination charger yet. I didn't know if your allowed to use if your not a customer. That's the problem. Now I have to go from Lima to Tiffin and back. I can't do it. It sucks!!!.how would you do that?

Last week I went to Toledo and back. It said I could make it back no problem. Well I stopped at a supercharger for the hell of it for 10min. When I got home I only had 10 miles left. Im glad I did that or I would of been stranded. It seems like I just cant trust the planners.