Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charger no longer there

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Destination Charger at La Quinta hotel, Mission Bay, San Diego is no longer there!!
Be aware, before making a reservation at this hotel. I was careful and called before booking a room there (middle on Nov 2022) and the front desk informed me that they had removed the charger.
This brings up important issues-
1. Are the Chargers maps accurate?
2. At this point it is still in both the Tesla map as well as at the Supercharger Reviews | nowyouknow
3. how do you notify (both) that a charger isn't there?

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge is definitely the way to go for stuff like this. I would not rely on the Tesla map. I bet no one actually manages it. PlugShare is "crowd sourced" data so people like you are checking on these things and updating the community database of EV plugs. And it includes a lot of Tesla plugs that aren't on Tesla's site as well as J1772 plugs that obviously aren't on Tesla's site. You can even narrow down the results by plug type and features available at the location.

1668310335999.png

That said, still call ahead if charging at the hotel is critical ;) I used to do that, but have gotten out of practice.

Reactions: MXn00b and RTPEV
Yes, great recommendation to call ahead for hotels. The front desk people may be clueless about the charging station's status (or even that it's there!) but many times they can give you good information and sometimes even cone the spot off for you so you can be relatively confident it will be available when you get there.

I even call ahead when I know they don't have a charging station so they at least hear that people are looking for one in the hopes that they will at some point in the future install one.

I even call ahead when I know they don't have a charging station so they at least hear that people are looking for one in the hopes that they will at some point in the future install one.

Oh I like that. I'm not sure how to guarantee the info gets to the managers (or whoever decides to install that kind of equipment) but it's good to have the conversation going.

There is no guarantee, but if you repeat it often enough, it will likely reach the right ears.
I like to think that I was (very) partially responsible for getting Tesla Superchargers installed at Yosemite View Lodge. Back in Fall 2019 I was there and asked the front desk if they had any charging stations on the property. They said that I could use an outlet in the parking lot (I believe it was a NEMA 5-15). I ended up using the Destination charger inside the park while we were there. I would hope to think that there were other people asking the motel staff about EVSE that it finally pushed the powers-that-be into hosting a Supercharger site there.

Reactions: LoudMusic and RTPEV