Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination chargers Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I'd be interested to know just how the destination charging system works.
My model S was bought without my knowing that unlimited free supercharging was included (it was a brief offer recently).
But who pays for the juice from a destination charger? Tesla? The owner of the property?
I have several times picked up a few KwH from public carparks such as Greenhills mall near Maitland: just plug in, shop pull the plug and go. I'm not charged on my Tesla account so is this part of my deal or is it free for every Tesla owner? Or does the mall pay?

My model S was bought without my knowing that unlimited free supercharging was included (it was a brief offer recently).
But who pays for the juice from a destination charger? Tesla? The owner of the property?
I have several times picked up a few KwH from public carparks such as Greenhills mall near Maitland: just plug in, shop pull the plug and go. I'm not charged on my Tesla account so is this part of my deal or is it free for every Tesla owner? Or does the mall pay?

They're free for everyone ... and depending on how the charger has been configured, other brands can use them too.
I believe that destination chargers are supplied by Tesla for free, but it's up to the owners to pay for installation and ongoing usage costs ... but beware, some (as in very few) may want you to pay them some $$$ ... it's always handy to check Plugshare and read existing comments.

Destination Charging | Tesla Australia
Charging Partners | Tesla Australia

Last edited:
Two points that owners should never forget;

1. Tesla destination chargers are not free they are complimentary, that is to say the establishment paying for the electricity would expect the EV owner to make a reasonable purchase, even a Coffee and a thank you for supporting EVs is often sufficient.
2. Any business with a Tesla destination charger that is now asking for a fee to charge is doing so due to EV owners not following point 1.

Agree on Point 2.

Saw a post on FB about a pub in Vic with a $25 flat charging fee.
Rather expensive unless you've got a 100kW model and charging overnight.

I think it's fair enough to charge for someone looking to charge for say 2+ hours on an 11kW charger, but any less or on 10A wall plugs should be complimentary

Two points that owners should never forget;

1. Tesla destination chargers are not free they are complimentary, that is to say the establishment paying for the electricity would expect the EV owner to make a reasonable purchase, even a Coffee and a thank you for supporting EVs is often sufficient.
2. Any business with a Tesla destination charger that is now asking for a fee to charge is doing so due to EV owners not following point 1.

While I agree with that, I am not sure it completely answers the OPs question.
Destination chargers, as you mention, most often supply the juice as paid for by the establishment, but there are some occasions where Tesla supplies (pays for) the electricity or subsidizes the cost. So in a few cases, they are "free". :) How do I know? I used to help companies plan and get them installed. But yeah, many businesses want to attract customers by making them available. Nice to see more of them being installed every day.

Oh, and a late edit..... in a few cases, destination chargers are paid for by the establishment, yet they don't expect you to buy anything. Best to ask if you are not sure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ARMARM
While I agree with that, I am not sure it completely answers the OPs question.
Destination chargers, as you mention, most often supply the juice as paid for by the establishment, but there are some occasions where Tesla supplies (pays for) the electricity or subsidizes the cost. So in a few cases, they are "free". :) How do I know? I used to help companies plan and get them installed. But yeah, many businesses want to attract customers by making them available. Nice to see more of them being installed every day.

Oh, and a late edit..... in a few cases, destination chargers are paid for by the establishment, yet they don't expect you to buy anything. Best to ask if you are not sure.

If that's the case in Australia that Tesla may be covering electricity costs it will be in very limited numbers, I've used dozens of destination chargers across every state and territory in Australia and have only seen one power consumption meter connected and that was to try and recoup some of the $1500 install cost that Tesla no longer covers.

If that's the case in Australia that Tesla may be covering electricity costs it will be in very limited numbers, I've used dozens of destination chargers across every state and territory in Australia and have only seen one power consumption meter connected and that was to try and recoup some of the $1500 install cost that Tesla no longer covers.
yes, agree it would probably be limited. I'm not familiar with your area. Mainly I was referring to my experience here in the USA. :) I've never seen a power consumption meter on a destination charger here, but I guess they might exist somewhere.

Agree on Point 2.

Saw a post on FB about a pub in Vic with a $25 flat charging fee.
Rather expensive unless you've got a 100kW model and charging overnight.

I think it's fair enough to charge for someone looking to charge for say 2+ hours on an 11kW charger, but any less or on 10A wall plugs should be complimentary

I read that post yesterday, I think it's very unfair for that was posted without the visitor knowing the history of previous behavior from EV owners, Victorian business owners need all the support they can get at the moment not negative gripes about a service they don't have to use.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve arranged the installation of a few destination chargers across SA.
Here is the deal;
1. Tesla supply the hardware at no cost
2. The property arranges and pays for the installation. This often means the full power cannot be achieved.
3. The property pays for all power consumed.
Destination chargers are seen as a competative advantage to properties to attract a growing number of tesla owners.

Here is the deal;
2. The property arranges and pays for the installation. This often means the full power cannot be achieved.
Destination chargers are seen as a competative advantage to properties to attract a growing number of tesla owners.

Can you expand on your 2nd point. Is that because the property owners or the installers are unaware of the requirement, or is it intentional as a sort of dishonest advertising.

Can you expand on your 2nd point. Is that because the property owners or the installers are unaware of the requirement, or is it intentional as a sort of dishonest advertising.
Property owners are made very aware that they have to pay for the installation and ongoing power costs as part of the deal to supply a free connector. There is no misleading conduct.
You will generally see these pop up in shopping centres and tourist accomodation as a means of attracting tesla customers. The destination charger output is sometimes restricted in amperage simply because the facility does not have the capacity to offer full amperage in their electrical connection

Reactions: baillies
Here is the deal;
We did a getaway for our anniversary, went to put favorite place (Cambria) of 38 years but pick the hotel because it had a destination charger (and a J1772) which only Teslas can use without an adapter which is about $150 USD.
The superchargers remain only ours which I like. Lots of charger hogs don't drive Teslas so we have to contend with fewer of them

It was my impression that you could use a Tesla HPWC for any Type 2 equipped vehicle with a setting in the wall box. Is that true?

YES, NO, MAYBE

*There's a legacy setting inside the HPWC (destination charger)
*Not all HPWCs in Australia are able to be set in legacy
*A Hyundai Kona may charge successfully from a HPWC then a same build year Kona will not charge from the same charger
* Tesla has a goal of dragging legacy auto into mass EV production, allowing other brands to charge from Tesla supplied chargers is a good marketing exercise.
* Its noted that in some other countries Tesla allocate 2 HPWCs and appropriate signage, both work on Tesla's, only one works for legacy auto, this keeps one free for Tesla drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Nope, our plug is different. The standard level 2 is the J1772 for which we have an adapter

Qinshan you are posting in an Australian subforum. In Oceania and Europe, Tesla use a Type 2/ Mennekes port for the HPWC and Type2 is the standard for all EVs (a few older models have Type 1)

And the Model 3s have Type2/CCS built in, the S/X have a customised Type2 port.

Reactions: ARMARM