Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I lift vertically or pull back?
You just swivel it, ie lift it by the end closest to the cable. No need to press the button, it's just a piece of plastic holding it in place.

This slot at the bottom of the plug:

slot.png

sits on this plastic tab:

tab.png

This is the plug held in place:

resting.png

And with the end lifted so it's released:

released.png

What is the current deal with Tesla for destination chargers? I know they can provide a free charger to suitable businesses but what about installation costs and power usage? I wonder what would be the cost of tesla wall charger and installation versus 32A three phase plus adapator plus euro tail for UMC. It appears that charging speed is similar for 32 amp and Tesla wall charger.

What is the current deal with Tesla for destination chargers? I know they can provide a free charger to suitable businesses but what about installation costs and power usage? I wonder what would be the cost of tesla wall charger and installation versus 32A three phase plus adapator plus euro tail for UMC. It appears that charging speed is similar for 32 amp and Tesla wall charger.

Yes strangely enough I was thinking about that myself today while charging at Gin Gin Showgrounds. Not certain but I think Tesla will cover installation costs as well as the cost of the HPWC. I think power costs may not be covered though not sure.

BTW 3 phase 32A without an EVSE will only charge at 3 phase 16A so ~50 kph instead of the 100+ kph charge rate with a 3 phase 32A HPWC.

Yes strangely enough I was thinking about that myself today while charging at Gin Gin Showgrounds. Not certain but I think Tesla will cover installation costs as well as the cost of the HPWC. I think power costs may not be covered though not sure.

BTW 3 phase 32A without an EVSE will only charge at 3 phase 16A so ~50 kph instead of the 100+ kph charge rate with a 3 phase 32A HPWC.

I don't understand what you mean by that. If you want to plug into a 32A 3Ø socket then you need to have a portable charger. The rate that you will get will be 11kW or 16A 3Ø with a single charger or 22kW 32A 3Ø with dual chargers and 17kW for an upgraded facelift car. The portable charger has the same capabilities as the HPWC.

I don't understand what you mean by that. If you want to plug into a 32A 3Ø socket then you need to have a portable charger. The rate that you will get will be 11kW or 16A 3Ø with a single charger or 22kW 32A 3Ø with dual chargers and 17kW for an upgraded facelift car. The portable charger has the same capabilities as the HPWC.
No it doesn't. It's maximum throughput is 11kW.
Have a look at Tesla Charging Options for Australia for the best charging info I've yet come across.

My car is 2015 Model S 85 with single charger. From Tesla Charging Options for Australia "A single onboard charger is limited to 11kW max charge rate – this equates to approximately 55km per hour of charging time added to your range." Also "Even though the 3 phase HPWC is capable of more, you will not be able to charge above the max 11kW rate of the single car charger." And 'Note though that via the UMC, you will not be able to draw more than 16A current, single or three phase, which equates to 11kW from either a 20A or a 32A three phase outlet."
From this I conclude that for my pre 2016 single charger Model S I will get the same rate of charging from 3 phase HPWC as from 32A UMC plus adaptor/Euro tail.
How does the cost of installation of HPWC compare with cost of installation of 32A power socket plus buying adaptor/Euro tail?

The latest DCs added:

Standpipe Motel
Address: Daw St Port Augusta SA 5700

Stockland Cammeray
Address: 450 Miller St Cammeray NSW 2062

Stockland Balgowlah (P3)
Address: 197-215 Condamine St Balgowlah NSW 2093

The Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Address: 11 Jamison St Sydney NSW 2000

Watergardens Town Centre
Address: 399 Melton Hwy Taylors Lake VIC 3038

Tamburlaine Organic Wines - Pokolbin NSW
Built in maps listed, there are 2 long cable chargers in the public car park.
Staff immediately came over, they said I'm the first car to arrive since their install in late December and were all super keen to see what it's all about.
Follow car gps directions, and head to the public car park, chargers are easily visible on the left!

Attachments

• 2017-01-18 15.45.47.jpg
    2017-01-18 15.45.47.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 52
More new dc's

Rockhampton Carpark - 4 x 22kW (public)
164 Quay St Rockhampton QLD 4700

Koala Tree Motel - 2 x 22kW
179 Gordon St Port Macquarie NSW 2444

Shaw Vineyard Estate - 2 x 22kW
34 Isabel Dr Murrumbateman NSW 2582

Rental Prop - 2 x 22kW
Lutwyche, QLD 4030

Abercrombie House - 2 x 22kW
311 Ophir Rd Bathurst NSW 2795

I think the Rocky one will be interesting for anyone travelling north till there are more superchargers or other DC chargers in QLD.

Has anyone tried parking a Model X at the Burnside Village destination charger. There is a plumbing pipe which runs over the parking spaces (see photos on post #22 this thread). I wonder how the falcon doors would cope with this. Not sure if parking forwards or reverse would make a difference. Also the smalller park is already very tight for a Model S and the X is wider so may not fit.

More new dc's

Rockhampton Carpark - 4 x 22kW (public)
164 Quay St Rockhampton QLD 4700

Koala Tree Motel - 2 x 22kW
179 Gordon St Port Macquarie NSW 2444

Shaw Vineyard Estate - 2 x 22kW
34 Isabel Dr Murrumbateman NSW 2582

Rental Prop - 2 x 22kW
Lutwyche, QLD 4030

Abercrombie House - 2 x 22kW
311 Ophir Rd Bathurst NSW 2795

I think the Rocky one will be interesting for anyone travelling north till there are more superchargers or other DC chargers in QLD.

All these 22kW chargers yet Tesla seems intent on reducing onboard charging capabilities of its vehicles, first to 16.5kW and now the high powered charger is',t even an option on the latest 75kW cars. All seems a little odd.

I really think Tesla should think about making 22kW an option again. I Have also never quite understood why the UMC was never rated to 32A three phase.

Adam.

All these 22kW chargers yet Tesla seems intent on reducing onboard charging capabilities of its vehicles, first to 16.5kW and now the high powered charger is',t even an option on the latest 75kW cars. All seems a little odd.

I really think Tesla should think about making 22kW an option again. I Have also never quite understood why the UMC was never rated to 32A three phase.

Adam.
I spoke with the service centre about upgrading my charger from 11 to 16.5kW.
They told me my charger was already capable of 16.5kW but was locked to 11kW, and the fee to unlock would be $2,800.

It seems bizarre to me that Tesla chooses this particular feature to generate revenue. It just exacerbates one of the few weak points of electric vehicles (slow refueling).