Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly it's such a no-brainer to put chargers in towns.
If you're in a town for a few hours you'll be shopping. dining etc. That's money coming into their town's businesses, and much more than the electricity costs.
Hell, the last time I was at Goulburn supercharger I spent $60 at the visitor's centre, a place I'd have never visited in a million years.

Reactions: GSP
Great to hear that Warrnambool will be installing Tesla Destination chargers in the CBD

That's great news - but very interesting wording:

Two “destination chargers” have been provided free of charge by Tesla, who have also offered to contribute to the installation cost.
Type 2 chargers are suitable for a range of electric cars.

Which other vehicles in Australia use Type 2 connectors?

Also, I was under the impression Tesla is against other vehicles using destination chargers, and that newer version of the HPWC have some sort of authentication to prevent non-Teslas using them?

Also, I was under the impression Tesla is against other vehicles using destination chargers, and that newer version of the HPWC have some sort of authentication to prevent non-Teslas using them?
Newspaper doesn't know.

Great to hear that Warrnambool will be installing Tesla Destination chargers in the CBD - Liebig Street. Looking forward to when they are installed and available for use. A handy top up if needed travelling on the Princes Highway or at the end of The Great Ocean Road.

Electric car chargers arrive | www.cbd.warrnambool.vic.gov.au

I definitely think this is a good investment for communities to attract traffic to a regional centre rather than to a specific hotel or restaurant.

I spoke with the service centre about upgrading my charger from 11 to 16.5kW.
They told me my charger was already capable of 16.5kW but was locked to 11kW, and the fee to unlock would be $2,800.
It seems bizarre to me that Tesla chooses this particular feature to generate revenue. It just exacerbates one of the few weak points of electric vehicles (slow refueling).
Just pay it and enjoy ! It cuts charging time by 1/3 !

I

I haven't heard that before, surely preventing non Teslas EVs from using the destination chargers is against Teslas/Musk's core mission of "Accelerating Sustainable Transport". Sure, Tesla has paid for these things, but they aren't paying for the electricity. It only has potential to create more consumer confusion when another Type 2 EV hits the road in Oz.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Type 2 is the norm. The 90Ah BMW i3 has an onboard 11kW 3ph charger with the type 2 port, and BMW NZ is retro fitting its existing fleet.

And what happens if you buy your own wall connector? Is that rigged to not allow you charging other EV brands too?

I

I haven't heard that before, surely preventing non Teslas EVs from using the destination chargers is against Teslas/Musk's core mission of "Accelerating Sustainable Transport". Sure, Tesla has paid for these things, but they aren't paying for the electricity. It only has potential to create more consumer confusion when another Type 2 EV hits the road in Oz.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Type 2 is the norm. The 90Ah BMW i3 has an onboard 11kW 3ph charger with the type 2 port, and BMW NZ is retro fitting its existing fleet.

And what happens if you buy your own wall connector? Is that rigged to not allow you charging other EV brands too?

@dpeilow and others discovered that in Great Britain Tesla is providing a different type 2 HPWC for their destination charging program than the HPWC sold to consumers.

The special destination charging HPWC will not connect to vehicles other than the Model S and X. Tesla even inadvertently prevented Roadster owners from charging!

GSP

It is the same one, but there is a switch inside that seems to generate a non-standard pilot signal.

20160710_155427.jpg

20160710_155416.jpg

20160710_155345.jpg

Moderators note.
Unfortunately I had to delete Dianned's post.
Whilst it's is great that more and more destination chargers are being installed in hotels, resorts and other accomodation properties, this is not a place to advertise the properties themselves.
If a property owner wants to advertise on TMC you need to contact the owners by clicking the contact us link at the bottom of any page.

Last edited:
Moderators note.
Unfortunately I had to delete Dianned's post.
Whilst it's is great that more and more destination chargers are being installed in hotels, resorts and other accomodation properties, this is not a place to advertise the properties themselves.
If a property owner wants to advertise on TMC you need to contact the owners by clicking the contact us link at the bottom of any page.

Another option is when a Tesla driver makes use of they location they provide their opinion on the quality of service that is provided so other drivers can support the establishments that are installing electric vehicle chargers.

How do people approach a business or chamber of commerce with a proposal
to install a Tesla destination charger in their town, I was wondering if there is a
pamphlet or something to hand out to prospective locations explaining the benefits
of having a charger in their town.
If I had something in my car when I travel around that I could hand out then we could
get a charger set up in a lot more locations.

How do people approach a business or chamber of commerce with a proposal
to install a Tesla destination charger in their town, I was wondering if there is a
pamphlet or something to hand out to prospective locations explaining the benefits
of having a charger in their town.
If I had something in my car when I travel around that I could hand out then we could
get a charger set up in a lot more locations.

make a few copies of the linked brochure and keep them in your car, the art is to hand over the information to a person that is more likely to follow up rather than file it for later.

Attachments

• Destination Charging Intro Brochure Australia.pdf
    572.2 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Chuq and Jays200