TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Destination Chargers - Mackinaw City, MI

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by tomsModelS, Apr 11, 2018.

1. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

#1 tomsModelS, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    February 1, 2018 City Council Meeting
    Permit has been approved to pursue “...three Tesla car charger stations for marina grounds at Tesla expense and to allow Manager Wyman to ask Attorney Lane advice on matter.”

The Marina grounds are located at:
    107 S. Huron Ave
    Mackinaw City, MI 49701

See paragraph VIII, page 2
    http://mackinawcity.org/Portals/22/Village Council/2018 Minutes/MIN 02 01 18.pdf

February 15, 2018 City Council Meeting
    “Motion Glenn seconded Newman to adopt Resolution 2018-06 to allow Tesla to install three charging stations at the Village Municipal Marina with contract.”

See paragraph IX
    http://mackinawcity.org/Portals/22/Village Council/2018 Minutes/MIN 02 15 18.pdf

This is now officially under permit!

• Informative x 2
  2. bwestlak

bwestlak Member

I suspect these might be destination chargers because of the number of them and the location.

3. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Cool! But with the station count of 3, are these perhaps destination (HPWC) plugs and not superchargers?

Ninja-ed by @bwestlak, but that's cool since I live in Saline too...

4. timf

timf Active Member

Perhaps they mean 3 chargers with 6 pedestals? Destination chargers usually aren't installed by Tesla, but rather provided to private businesses who install and maintain them independently.

5. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Good point, Tesla will provide destination HW but usually not the install. Maybe three urban chargers?

6. ElectrifyAB

ElectrifyAB Member

Tesla hasn't installed less than 8 stalls in one place for quite a while now.

• Like x 1
  7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

There have been a few in other countries but certainly not in the USA or Canada. Unless you count a couple of oddball ones in Jersey City and Manhattan which (according to the threads here) are so hard/expensive to access that they may as well not exist :p

So no, it's not impossible that it means 3 SCs with 6 stalls, but the city government would be talking about the number of stalls, primarily.

More information needed!

8. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

FYP

9. ElectrifyAB

ElectrifyAB Member

So I emailed Mackinaw City's "general info" email, and got this response. These are confirmed destination chargers. IMG_1377.jpg

• Informative x 6
  10. timf

timf Active Member

Thanks for the information. Hopefully this does not impact or represent a change from the planned Supercharger installation.

11. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

This is an ideal spot for destination chargers. Mackinaw is a destination, and these charger will be within easy walking distance of hotels, restaurants, and the ferry to the island.

12. rabar10

rabar10 Model 3 >> Focus Electric

Mod note: renamed the thread per OP's request.

• Like x 2
  13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Yesterday (6/18/2018):

Question: Hello, a friend and I are planning a trip through MI. Can you tell me for sure if the Tesla Destination chargers are installed at the Marina?

Answer: Hi, The chargers have been installed and approved by the electrical inspector. We are just waiting on the power company to hook up the meter. Sounds like this should be done by the end of the week.

• Informative x 5
  14. mapatni

mapatni New Member

Can anyone confirm that the Mackinaw City destination chargers are officially ready for use? I’m planning a mid July trip to the area and wondering if I can plan on using these.

15. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

I checked out the chargers this morning, July 2nd, and they appeared to be fully installed however the power indicators on all units were offline. There were 3x HPWCs and a Clipper Creek J1772 charger installed in the North West corner of the lot. I will post a couple of photos in a reply to this post soon.

• Informative x 3
  16. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

Here are the photos. The spaces are presently not marked as EV spaces nor were poles installed for signs to be installed upon. This could likely end up being ICED during popular days even if signed because the lot they are is popular for parking with marina traffic. I included a satellite image showing the charger location circled in red.

ORG_DSC04446-reduced.jpg
    ORG_DSC04445-reduced.jpg
    ORG_DSC04444-reduced.jpg
    ORG_DSC04448-reduced.jpg ORG_DSC04449-reduced.jpg ORG_DSC04447-reduced.jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 11.22.00 AM.png

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  17. TomServo

TomServo Member

are the cords long enough to allow someone to temporarily park and make a connection to charge. It could be the difference between a family having a safe and enjoyable trip or getting stranded. I wish communities would start adopting strict laws on EV parking and then enforce them.

• Like x 1
  18. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

Sorry, I did not uncoil any however they looks like the longer HPWC cables which I think are 24 feet long. If so, that might work since they are mounted in a place that puts them directly between each parking space.

19. mapatni

mapatni New Member

Thanks sdoorex! Headed up there next week. Wondering if they'll have them powered up by then.....

20. gonzo

gonzo Member

#20 gonzo, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Good News! Phone call from Klaus at the Marina yesterday (Friday July 13) and he said that all four chargers are operational.

No fee for charging but there is a flat fee of $5.00 for parking.

All folks working at the Marina are super friendly and helpful!!

• Informative x 2