Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers - Seek and ye shall receive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago I emailed the Westin Hotel in Richmond, VA and asked if they had a Tesla Wall Charger. They responded that they had contacted Tesla and were turned down. I gave them the phone number to call and suggested that they try again because TM is encouraging hotels to install destination chargers. We are going there this weekend and I just got an email from the hotel manager that they have installed 3 HPWC's, they are free for guests, and they are looking forward to seeing my MX this weekend. Moral to the story - keep pushing hotels and restaurants to install destination chargers.:biggrin:

Agreed - great work. Westin is HPWC-friendly, and I'm guessing they have some kind of internal "process" for allowing them. I've stayed at a number of Westin with HPWCs. Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton also have done a good job adding them to many of their locations. Tomorrow I'm staying at a Best Western that has one as well!

About a month ago I emailed the Westin Hotel in Richmond, VA and asked if they had a Tesla Wall Charger. They responded that they had contacted Tesla and were turned down. I gave them the phone number to call and suggested that they try again because TM is encouraging hotels to install destination chargers. We are going there this weekend and I just got an email from the hotel manager that they have installed 3 HPWC's, they are free for guests, and they are looking forward to seeing my MX this weekend. Moral to the story - keep pushing hotels and restaurants to install destination chargers.:biggrin:

Nice work on that one. The more Hotels that are EV friendly the better.

Can you send me the phone number or PM to me? We have a small boutique hotel and they didn't respond to us.

We have a few restaurants in the Florida Keys. We contacted Tesla about destination charging and they turned us down. We have a friend who is a major investor who made a call on our behalf, and lo and behold, we received an HPWC and a J1772 Charger free of charge and an offer to reimburse us $1500 for installation costs at each location. They've only been installed for a few weeks, but we are receiving a steady stream of EVs.

in Europe there are no tesla wall chargers but I contacted a hotel in Chamoix, France a moth before I went there and they immediately responded with questions of inlet and voltage. when I got there the charge point was installed and free of charge. done the same thing with our next driving destination in Tuscany. however, they were not as interested initially, but seems like there are finally turning around and will also install a chargepint. and in Tuscany they are sorely needed. :)

There is a Hilton garden inn with 2 Tesla chargers near where I live. Occasionally, I pull into the parking lot just to see if any Teslas are there, but most of the time the parking spaces are occupied with ICE vehicles. They don't do a good job of clearly marking these as reserved at all. If I was a customer who NEEDED that charge and couldn't get the ICE moved, I would be very displeased.

Here is an example of a letter I recently wrote which had a positive response and confirmation of Tesla chargers being installed (Bishop Creek Inn, Bishop, CA). For @frebay, it includes the links to Tesla's Destination Charging form and information.

My Letter to Hotel Management said:
My family had a lovely stay at the Bishop Creek Inn recently. During the stay, we found ourselves in need of a charge for our Tesla Model X. I was told you do not offer charging at this time, but I wanted to reach out to make sure you hear that your customers would like it. There are a few reasons that I think Bishop Creek Inn is in the “sweet spot” for Tesla chargers:

1. The Tesla provided Superchargers are in Lone Pine and in Mammoth Lakes. This is easily close enough for a road trip, but side trips rapidly make it difficult to stretch the distance. An overnight charge at a hotel between them is perfect for exploring the area.
2. Your hotel is definitely in the realm of the type of hotel that owners frequent. I saw another Model S at the hotel during our stay, and the owner said they were charging at the local RV park.
3. There are already over 100,000 Teslas on the road (many of which are in California) and there are over 400,000 reservations for the more affordable Model 3.
4. Most importantly, Tesla will often provide the equipment free of charge, and you’ll be added to the onboard map on all Tesla vehicles. Someone looking for a charge will find your hotel.

Here is the information related to the Tesla Destination Charging Program: Destination Charging | Tesla

And here is a link for hotel managers/owners to apply: Destination Charging

I hope you’ll consider the suggestion. I think it will be a win-win for owners and for your hotel.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Three weeks ago I was at Lake Louise and decided to park at Fairmont Lake Louise so that I can charge there. Lo and behold, all three EV spots were ICE'd out. I let the concierge know but unfortunately he couldn't do anything to move those cars. However, when I returned I saw a Easel sign saying "Reserved for Electirc Cars only". In addition, Fairmont comp'd my parking fee because I couldn't charge ( I wasn't staying there). Thank you Fairmont Lake Louise, first for providing the chargers, second for taking action to keep the spots open for electirc cars, and third for your kind consideration for not charging me a parking fee. I'm staying at Farimont Lake Louise on my next visit.
IMG_8293.JPG IMG_8335.JPG

Reactions: Roentgen and ohmman