TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Destination Chargers - Seek and ye shall receive

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by ptsagcy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

About a month ago I emailed the Westin Hotel in Richmond, VA and asked if they had a Tesla Wall Charger. They responded that they had contacted Tesla and were turned down. I gave them the phone number to call and suggested that they try again because TM is encouraging hotels to install destination chargers. We are going there this weekend and I just got an email from the hotel manager that they have installed 3 HPWC's, they are free for guests, and they are looking forward to seeing my MX this weekend. Moral to the story - keep pushing hotels and restaurants to install destination chargers.:biggrin:

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Great advice, great story.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Agreed - great work. Westin is HPWC-friendly, and I'm guessing they have some kind of internal "process" for allowing them. I've stayed at a number of Westin with HPWCs. Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton also have done a good job adding them to many of their locations. Tomorrow I'm staying at a Best Western that has one as well!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

We are taking our maiden voyage in Nicky, our Sig X this month from PA to Key West and back. Making extensive use of destination chargers (and superchargers, of course). Story and pics on our return.

• Like x 3
  5. KJD

KJD Member

Nice work on that one. The more Hotels that are EV friendly the better.

6. frebay

frebay Member

Can you send me the phone number or PM to me? We have a small boutique hotel and they didn't respond to us.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Here's the web page: Destination Charging

8. frebay

frebay Member

We sent a message there and no luck.

9. Slappy32

Slappy32 Member

We have a few restaurants in the Florida Keys. We contacted Tesla about destination charging and they turned us down. We have a friend who is a major investor who made a call on our behalf, and lo and behold, we received an HPWC and a J1772 Charger free of charge and an offer to reimburse us $1500 for installation costs at each location. They've only been installed for a few weeks, but we are receiving a steady stream of EVs.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. guidom

guidom Member

Do you have the direct phone number to speak to the people in charge of destination charging? Have a similar situation

thanks

11. McManX

McManX Member

Contacted the owner of my local ski resort (China Peak out of Fresno) asking for some destination chargers. He applied through the online forum and was approved within a couple days. He says the chargers will be installed this summer/fall and be reading for 16/17 winter.

• Like x 1
  12. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

in Europe there are no tesla wall chargers but I contacted a hotel in Chamoix, France a moth before I went there and they immediately responded with questions of inlet and voltage. when I got there the charge point was installed and free of charge. done the same thing with our next driving destination in Tuscany. however, they were not as interested initially, but seems like there are finally turning around and will also install a chargepint. and in Tuscany they are sorely needed. :)

13. frebay

frebay Member

Besides the online forum is there another way to contact Tesla for destination charging?

14. ldgrmnmc

ldgrmnmc Member

There is a Hilton garden inn with 2 Tesla chargers near where I live. Occasionally, I pull into the parking lot just to see if any Teslas are there, but most of the time the parking spaces are occupied with ICE vehicles. They don't do a good job of clearly marking these as reserved at all. If I was a customer who NEEDED that charge and couldn't get the ICE moved, I would be very displeased.

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Here is an example of a letter I recently wrote which had a positive response and confirmation of Tesla chargers being installed (Bishop Creek Inn, Bishop, CA). For @frebay, it includes the links to Tesla's Destination Charging form and information.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  16. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

Three weeks ago I was at Lake Louise and decided to park at Fairmont Lake Louise so that I can charge there. Lo and behold, all three EV spots were ICE'd out. I let the concierge know but unfortunately he couldn't do anything to move those cars. However, when I returned I saw a Easel sign saying "Reserved for Electirc Cars only". In addition, Fairmont comp'd my parking fee because I couldn't charge ( I wasn't staying there). Thank you Fairmont Lake Louise, first for providing the chargers, second for taking action to keep the spots open for electirc cars, and third for your kind consideration for not charging me a parking fee. I'm staying at Farimont Lake Louise on my next visit.
    IMG_8293.JPG IMG_8335.JPG

• Like x 2
  17. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Member

We just put in a request to add a destination charger at our vacation rental...we may be too small a fish to get any interest, but we figured it was worth asking.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Stasla

Stasla Member

In this case you might get better traction through the Tesla/AirBnB arrangement, especially if you are already renting out via AirBnB: Request a Tesla charger

19. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Member

Interesting, thanks. We've purposely avoided AirBnb and use VRBO, but it's worth a look.