Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging — Gateway, Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[I put some of this in the "Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging" thread but it might be more useful in this subforum for those looking for places to explore in this area.]

Way off the beaten track: Gateway, Colorado.

Charging at Gateway1878sf 4-22-17.jpg

^ Destination charging at Gateway Canyons Resort with "The Palisade" as a backdrop.

Charging at Gateway1880sf 4-22-17.jpg

I went to Gateway to hike some of the nearby BLM trails that I helped to build with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado some years ago. Gateway is highly scenic and the Tesla Destination charging is available for those passing through. Some suggestions for those visiting:

• Daytrippers ought to plan to arrive with enough charge to get to Grand Junction in case both HPWCs are in use. There is no "Plan B" for charging otherwise.

• The Destination Charging is located across from the Auto Museum, a world class collection of antique cars and well worth a visit.
Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

• State Highway 141 south toward Naturita travels along the Dolores and San Miguel Rivers through gorgeous red rocks canyons. SH 141 east toward Whitewater is also very scenic but the geology is completely different. Planning a route that includes both is best. One possibility: Grand Junction to Gateway and then to Moab via SH 90.

• A map of the BLM trails is available from the Adventure Center at the resort. The trails are open to mountain biking in addition to hiking.

Some more pictures from the trip:

Charging at Gateway1876sf 4-22-17.jpg

^ For a few minutes I was sharing the charge stations with another Colorado Model S.

The Palisade at Gateway1883sf 4-22-17.jpg

^ The Palisade, viewed on a trail. The bush at the right with pale yellow flowers is cliffrose; they were in full bloom along the trail and filled the air with their scent. Late April/early May is a good time for a visit here because the wildflowers are blooming and it isn't hot yet. Elevation is about 4190 feet, which is rather low by Colorado standards.

Sclerocactus whipplei1881cropsf 4-22-17.jpg

^ Sclerocactus whipplei

Gateway Panorama1884-87 edsf4-22-17.JPG

^
Panorama from a trail.

SH141 near Gateway1896-98sf 4-22-17.JPG

^ Panorama from State Highway 141, which follows the Dolores River, looking south. The absence of other cars is typical of this remote area.