Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging at Hotels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to disagree about 30A. It's not enough.

Most hotels barely crack 200V, due to 3 phase supply. A NEMA 14-50 at 40A gives you 8 kW, which will do the job in about 10 hours. That's an 8 hour sleep and an hour before/after.

I suppose if you're completely flat. I'm still rockin' the 20 amp (16 amp continuous) 240 volt outlet at home and rarely have any issues charging overnight in the off peak periods.

I suppose if you're completely flat. I'm still rockin' the 20 amp (16 amp continuous) 240 volt outlet at home and rarely have any issues charging overnight in the off peak periods.

I'm talking about destination charging, not charging at home. If you arrive home from a trip empty, you'll certainly get enough overnight for the next day's in-town driving. But if you arrive at a hotel low on power (likely), and only have 30A available, the next morning you're going to be driving to the closest high power station, and then sitting and waiting for it to charge.

How many per hotel? One? Four? The idea first is "how can I charge?" But it is more like how can we charge. Something like 40A capable J1772 would do it for almost everyone until a small, tidy DC fast charge standard is implemented in years to come.

the general topic is why should a hotel supply fuel for some travelers and not others. A metered, Fairly priced charging solution is possible. It should be time based so someone doesn't camp out their plug in Prius overnight on a charger port. Charging say $1/hour and .11/kWh would be fair and beat the national average of home kWh pricing. This is the 111 plan. It even handles EREV owners who want to charge a Volt or Energi for a couple hours. Those driver can choose to keep their trip going on gas but might want to have in town electric driving. A dual metered 40A solution allows someone paying their $1 hour connect fee plus drawing at 40A to add 30 or more miles per charging hour. A full charge of 80 kWh would be $8 plus $8.88 for electricity. Not bad, priced under gasoline and solves off the beaten path charging. Some have paid $20 for a campsite refill. Similar price. If a Tesla is only down 50 miles of range, a two hour charge fills it.

A metered, Fairly priced charging solution is possible. It should be time based so someone doesn't camp out their plug in Prius overnight on a charger port. Charging say $1/hour and .11/kWh would be fair and beat the national average of home kWh pricing.

Here in Canada at least, only licensed electricity distributors (basically, utilities) can legally sell electricity, and the metrology is federally regulated. Having said that, I think a time-based fee that would allow the operator to recover some or all of their costs is perfectly reasonable. It does, as you say, discourage camping out at these stations.

First off, I think it's really poor form to show up here, make some grand announcement and then disappear. I don't expect to gain much from "Queen TSLA"'s involvement in EVs.

That said, this is a really important topic and every EVer (and wannabe EVer) should be contributing to the rising chorus of "we want to charge at hotels". The best way to do this is very much what others (as well as I) have said many times, ask for a charger every time you talk to hotels.

Here are the things I do:
- If I check into a hotel that has a charger, I make it clear that it's the reason I chose the hotel. let's reinforce that they made the right decision.
- If am calling about reservations, I ask for a place to charge my car. If they say no, I usually politely decline to stay and say that I'd prefer a hotel where I can charge. Let them see they have lost business. I don't ask for a 110 VAC outlet, it's not sufficient IMO.
- For those hotels without chargers, I try to explain the simplest, lowest cost approach which is an RV Outlet (NEMA 14-50). Don't ask for the NEMA outlet. Calling it "just an RV outlet" makes it easy for them to understand and non-threatening. I can't imagine a road tripping EVer without a charger that can handle a NEMA 14-50.

The last point is important. While we debate J1772 vs HPWC vs NEMA 14-50, we are losing sight of the hotel owner's point of view. They see all this stuff as confusing, high tech and alien - easier to say no. If you say "just an RV outlet" they get it and it becomes something they can remember. It's not some exotic thing they don't have a clue how to get. RV outlet - they can ask their electrician who will very likely know exactly what it is.

Every major host chain should install charging stations (Tesla SuperCharger would be best, Blink works for overnight charging) hotels that I know have them are:
Hampton Inn, Gallup, NM
Marriott Courtyard, Flagstaff. AZ
Beverly Garland Hotel, North Hollywood, CA

We live in Taos, NM and the the only city that inhibits our travel is Albuquerque, NM
Use your powers to get a hotel in ABQ to get with the program!

We appreciate your efforts.

I'm a Model S owner and just ordered a Model X (#7448)

The best way to do this is very much what others (as well as I) have said many times, ask for a charger every time you talk to hotels.

I do that every time, and thank them if they do have charging stations in place. Sometimes my company will make reservations, and even though I know the place doesn't have charging, I'll call and ask just so they know that people are, in fact, asking about it.

Every major host chain should install charging stations (Tesla SuperCharger would be best, Blink works for overnight charging) hotels that I know have them are:
Hampton Inn, Gallup, NM

We live in Taos, NM and the the only city that inhibits our travel is Albuquerque, NM

Perhaps I'm misreading your comment but it's not up to someone else, it's up to you. Use YOUR powers to get a hotel in ABQ. Your power as a consumer. Call the hotels, let them know that you will stay at hotels that support EVs.

Hampton Inn, Gallup, NM

Confused. That can't be model x vin, no orders. Just ordered, do you mean reserved? Thought reservation orders were higher than that

First reply here (giddy inside). Places in Ohio for one are severely lacking any kind of charging stations at all, let alone at hotels. Plans to add them have been scrubbed before from "lack of usage". I would love a EV but would have no place to top up if I wanted to do anything over 30miles away.

First reply here (giddy inside). Places in Ohio for one are severely lacking any kind of charging stations at all, let alone at hotels. Plans to add them have been scrubbed before from "lack of usage". I would love a EV but would have no place to top up if I wanted to do anything over 30miles away.

Why are you worried about a 30 mile radius? The Model S (or X) can go substantially further than that. Ohio is sparse, but it is not without options. PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 7.19.02 PM.png

Like a bunch of people MS and MX are a little out of my price range. I would be closer to the lower range EVs like the Leaf, new Fiat or Soul. With PS, The Cleveland/Akron area is mostly dealerships or not near areas I go.

Ah, sorry. I thought you were talking about an S. It's difficult to do distance driving with the lower range EVs. But there are people here on this forum (and other forums) who do that. You definitely can help your cause by pushing to get EVSEs installed in places that would be convenient to you. Many of us have done that over the years, long before superchargers were even mentioned.

Like a bunch of people MS and MX are a little out of my price range. I would be closer to the lower range EVs like the Leaf, new Fiat or Soul. With PS, The Cleveland/Akron area is mostly dealerships or not near areas I go.

Yes, the current crop of compliance EVs aren't exactly the right fit for the EV-hinterlands. Blame that on the short sighted car makers. However, there are options that will get you "EV-heaven credit". Like the Volt or BMW i3 with REX. Not sure the i3 is sold in OH but the Volt is. And the Volt has a very high satisfaction rating among it's owners. Long range is gas but local will all be E.

Interesting thread and responses. So how many of you want to get involved in installing chargers? I know some of you (like roblab, for instance) already are involved. How about the rest of you? I have some ways we can get involved ... J1772s, different level amperage, etc.

Hi Bonnie,

I am the president of a Florida Tesla club. We have over 330 families enrolled across the state. I have asked my membership to pursue destination charging as a priority club objective by speaking with hotel management about the benefits whenever they have an opportunity. If member a has a serious lead I ask them to provide me with the contact information.

I will contact the management in my capacity as president of our club. I describe our club and the fact that I am in a position to directly notify our hundreds of members of the availability of their hotel’s charging equipment and arrange club events at their hotel. I describe the Model S and why it fits the hotel/resorts' market demographic and I discuss Tesla’s Destination Charging Program and the fact that I can introduce them to a Tesla representative if they are interested, along with an equipment distributor/installer if they need one.

After the hotel management has been fully briefed by a Tesla representative regarding the Destination Charging Program, if the hotel management is interested, if feasible, I will meet with a hotel decision-maker. We will go into a bit more detail and I will usually recommend that in addition to the Tesla High Power Wall Connectors that the hotel also install “universal” charging equipment.

After that I will arrange for a charging equipment distributor/installer to do a walk through with the hotel representatives. If it is feasible I will join them on the walk through. The installer will provide quotations and hopefully this will result in the hotel installing the charging equipment. After that I send an email to each one of my club members announcing the availability of the charging equipment. I will update a TMC thread that I started listing Hotels in Florida with Charging Equipment and I will also advise the hotel management how to register their charging equipment with the various charging location applications.

Larry

Some good thoughts in this thread. Pulling from several recent posts, I:

- Agree in principle with the "111" charging idea... not only does it help prevent "charge station campers", but it also removes a bit of the "EV owners are elitist" sentiment that sometimes exists when it seems they are getting preferential treatment. Paying $5-10 for a charge at a destination is more than fair... and a lot better than a $75 tank of gas.

- Think the reference to the preferred electrical outlet as an "RV Plug" makes great sense. Easy to refer to and remember for hotel staff.

- Agree that making sure to make it known to hotel staff that EV charging options are a discriminating factor that led me to choose their establishment is important. I also try to seek out survey/feedback avenues (online or paper) that will reach the corporate offices and indicate similar there as well.

Last edited: