Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Cape Cod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's reasonable but unless they're fully utilized, why not make everyone happy by letting non-guests pay to use the chargers? Until EV infrastructure is ubiquitous, people will be relying on here-and-there chargers just as they do today with here-and-there gas stations. Seems like easy revenue. For drivers it's an availability problem, not a cost problem.

If others start calling the hotels with excuses about why they can't stay there but asking to charge anyway, or asking if buying a newspaper in the gift shop qualifies, hotels may decide it's not worth the hassle of offering it.

I hope this wasn't meant to imply that I shouldn't have called. We were all speculating what the details were and the only way to know for sure was to ask. I told him we saw the forum post requiring the two night stay and he volunteered the rest. And I do agree that we don't want to harass these mom and pop shops that are working to come to a mutually agreeable and beneficial solution. But sometimes the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked.

I hope this wasn't meant to imply that I shouldn't have called. We were all speculating what the details were and the only way to know for sure was to ask. I told him we saw the forum post requiring the two night stay and he volunteered the rest. And I do agree that we don't want to harass these mom and pop shops that are working to come to a mutually agreeable and beneficial solution. But sometimes the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked.

I can't speak for TexasEV but I definitely didn't read it that way. It was about avoiding future hassles, though it would be nice if these hotels could make chargers available for a fee if not in use by registered guests.

I didn't mean to imply that at all. I was replying to a post from big maple 1 who said at first he thought it should be available to everyone and then realized why it's just for registered guests. There have been posts in other threads here but mostly on the TM forum where some people don't understand the destination charging program and express varying degrees of entitlement that because they drive a Tesla they should be able to charge at any business that installed a HPWC. One poster on TM called Tesla to report that a hotel he wasn't staying at wouldn't let him charge there. Maybe it's a communication issue for the non-enthusiast (low information Tesla owner, if I can borrow a phrase). Superchargers are in business parking lots too so they don't understand the difference, especially now that HPWCs are on the Tesla find us map.

It's reasonable but unless they're fully utilized, why not make everyone happy by letting non-guests pay to use the chargers? Until EV infrastructure is ubiquitous, people will be relying on here-and-there chargers just as they do today with here-and-there gas stations. Seems like easy revenue. For drivers it's an availability problem, not a cost problem.
Look at it from the hotel's perspective. These are 4 or 5 star hotels and they're in the business of renting rooms, not providing electricity to EV drivers. If you can pay to use the charging station while you're staying elsewhere (probably at a less expensive place) having the charging station there isn't going to increase stays which was the reason they paid to install it.

Why pay for the cow when you can have the milk for free (or $10/night).

Look at it from the hotel's perspective. These are 4 or 5 star hotels and they're in the business of renting rooms, not providing electricity to EV drivers. If you can pay to use the charging station while you're staying elsewhere (probably at a less expensive place) having the charging station there isn't going to increase stays which was the reason they paid to install it.

Point taken. I was thinking more of the times when I'm not staying the night but would gladly stop for an hour for a meal and to pick up 50 miles range.

That's a good point. I can see why most 4/5-star hotels don't want to seem like a gas station.

I was thinking more of motel-type places or nicer establishments where you could charge while you do other things. For example, the Omni Hotel at Bretton Woods has two chargers. If they decide to restrict them to overnight guests, it rules out use by people who ski, hike or dine at Omni establishments. My hope is that the business motives of such places keep them publicly accessible.

New Destination Charging Station on Cape Cod- The Palmer House Inn

The Palmer House Inn, luxury Select Registry lodging is now a destination charging location on Cape Cod.

Stay two or more nights in a premium king whirlpool room and we will charge your Tesla upon arrival and keep it charged until you depart.

The Palmer House Inn is located in the historic district of Falmouth Village. It is within easy walking distance of Main Street with its unique shops and international, award winning "restaurant row".

Book and recharge on your Cape escape by calling 1.508.548.1230. Or book on our website www.palmerhouseinn.com

-The Palmer House Inn
81 Palmer Avenue
Falmouth, MA 02540

Note to Tesla’s visiting Falmouth, Cape Cod destination charging: I have a house on Cape Cod, and never thought I would find myself at the Palmer House Inn supercharging... A storm-related power outage knocked out the Sagamore SC abd left us nearly stranded and The Palmer Inn stepped in to help. What a beautiful, charming place, with awelcoming and knowledgeable team. Mary was wonderful and helped us find a great restaurant nearby. We charged at 40A with the dedicated Tesla cord. This is definitely the place to stay to be near Falmouth center, with shopping and nearby beaches, staying in an elegant and welcoming Inn, and leaving each day with a “full tank”!
Perfect!