TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Destination Charging - Corpus Christi, McAllen, Palestine, College Station

Discussion in 'Texas' started by SoTX_WestTX, Feb 15, 2015.

1. SoTX_WestTX

SoTX_WestTX Member

I admit that I haven't been on here as regularly as I used to be, but never did I think I would get "scooped" on something Tesla by MY MOTHER using that not-all-that-much-more-modern equivalent of mailing me an article clipped from the newspaper! :biggrin:

3478.jpg

I had no idea these chargers were even planned, let alone live. After getting this, I did some searches on here and didn't find any mentions. When I checked the Tesla charging map, lo and behold, I saw that Mcallen, College Station, and Palestine also have "Destination Charging" participants with publicly available HPWC's.

A while back I emailed Tesla to suggest the Overton Hotel here in Lubbock (halfway between possible future superchargers around Amarillo and Abilene/Sweetwater, nicest hotel around, seems perfect). Someone in the California office emailed back within a few weeks saying he'd would reach out to them, mention that he happened to be working on Texas that week. This was back in October. I'm sure these HPWC's have been live for a while now so it looks like it didn't take all that long for them to find some willing participants and work out the details.

Slowly but surely the network is growing!

2. BerTX

BerTX Member

Excellent! I have looked at the destination charging list and got frustrated because they all seemed to be at hotels I didn't want to stay at, and were for guests only.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

How about calling hotels you would want to stay at and suggest they inquire about the destination charging program?

Of course they're for guests only, why else would a hotel pay to install the HPWCs and pay for the electricity?

4. BerTX

BerTX Member

I wasn't criticizing the hotels for their policy! I'm certainly delighted that they are putting in the chargers and think it's a smart business decision. I just meant that there are times that I have other plans, and it is nice to see a business other than a hotel with a charger. Many, if not most of the other businesses request patronage to use their charger as well. I have no issue with it, although it might be frustrating if it is not a business I need at that particular moment.