Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to make these accommodations to drive an EV. Not most people though.

I am of the same mind. My intended point was that there are loads of chargers across the country, but not reliably useful - which includes the fact that thy are often useless in practice too, including not convenient for where I want to visit. Also, if I book a hotel for the night which offers charging how can I be sure the Charger is both working and available? I can reserve it (in fact I would) but I never consider that a guarantee, so I make sure I arrive with say 40% charge to enable me to get to a Supercharger following morning in extremis. But I would much prefer to arrive at 10% and not have also had a splash-and-dash / longer-stop at Supercharger on the way ...

Same with chargers in car parks. They may very well all be occupied when I get there (assuming not broken ... )

[Reading Plugshare for RHS Wisley they haven't bothered to get the 2nd, of only 2, points fixed in years ... literally years. Comments saying "more chargers coming 2019" and now new posts "Expected late 2020" ... and apparently they are putting in 8 points, for a car park that must take considerably more than 1,000 cars ... atrocious for an organisation like that]

For business meetings I expect client to provide a charger for me :) and I make a fuss about it. In general my meetings are all day, and even 13 AMP is useful over that period (and I have dangled an extension lead out of a hotel bedroom too ...); hopefully I am encouraging the laggard companies to get on with providing facilities ... rather than losing clients!

With an M3 check your charge rate before you walk away

I do that at Superchargers too. Some stalls don't always ramp up (I've had to move stalls a few times), and I've had more than one location where the arrangement of the stalls meant I hadn't twigged I was paired - Grantham has a pair either side of the entrance road, for example.

Perth Supercharger looks a decent place to stop, 12 bays and just a couple of minutes off the motorway. You should get to Edinburgh and back to Perth within your range, or a 10 minute stop on the way there and the same on the way back would save any range anxiety.