Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging etiquette: non-Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our home fleet now includes a new Pacifica Hybrid PHEV which will serve as our family road trip vehicle. We have an upcoming trip to places that have Tesla destination chargers, and my question was regarding use etiquette when plugging in to these chargers with a non-Tesla vehicle using an adapter. I plan on unplugging and moving as soon as the charge is finished (2 hrs from empty) and only using them if no other chargers are available, and only at places where we are staying or visiting as legitimate customers.

Is this acceptable behavior? Do Tesla drivers expect first dibs on these chargers or is first come first serve the status quo? Asking as a Tesla owner since 2015 who never uses destination chargers.

Interesting that the adapter claims to work in all Tesla destination chargers..

In Europe, you don't need an adapter because destination chargers as well as superchargers use industry standard Type2 connector, which physically fits most EVs directly.

However, the charger detects if the car is s Tesla or not. Superchargers never work with other cars. Destination chargers have some kind of setting to allow other cars, but I think most are Tesla only..

Our home fleet now includes a new Pacifica Hybrid PHEV which will serve as our family road trip vehicle. We have an upcoming trip to places that have Tesla destination chargers, and my question was regarding use etiquette when plugging in to these chargers with a non-Tesla vehicle using an adapter. I plan on unplugging and moving as soon as the charge is finished (2 hrs from empty) and only using them if no other chargers are available, and only at places where we are staying or visiting as legitimate customers.

Is this acceptable behavior? Do Tesla drivers expect first dibs on these chargers or is first come first serve the status quo? Asking as a Tesla owner since 2015 who never uses destination chargers.

The adapters don't work on Gen 2 HPWC without flipping a DIP switch inside. Not sure about Gen 3 HPWCs. I attached an adapter to the HPWCs I installed in Roswell, NM... had to modify one of the HPWC to get it to work.

This DIP switch 2 is the culprit, I believe UP is Tesla only and DOWN is for regular use. In EU there are even two different colour signs used: white for Tesla only and red for Tesla and others (if I’m not mistaken) on the chargers.

F2B893AB-8EFB-4AAD-AC73-54939E6BBDDE.jpeg

Last edited:
The adapters don't work on Gen 2 HPWC without flipping a DIP switch inside. Not sure about Gen 3 HPWCs. I attached an adapter to the HPWCs I installed in Roswell, NM... had to modify one of the HPWC to get it to work.
Gen 3 HPWC have a Checkbox question on the configuration screen to allow or disallow charging by non Tesla vehicles.

In response to @Dukeybootie original question, I agree this seems like reasonable way to approach the situation.

That being said, there is no universal Tesla or EV etiquette book and what defines appropriate etiquette is likely in the mind of the individual. I could anticipate you may encounter a less than friendly reception from another Tesla owner wanting to use the charger, even to the point of disconnecting you. I frequently see attitudes expressed by many Tesla owners on various discussion platforms like this that suggest they feel some of most favored status in the universe and all others should obvious bow to their superiority. I would hope you don't experience this, but I'd probably always have a back-up plan in place if you should run into this unfortunate situation.

Hope you enjoy your Pacifica and many happy miles of road trips with your family.

Destination charging locations usually have both Tesla and J1772 charging options, so hopefully you won’t need to use the Tesla wall connector in most cases. Tesla subsidizes the installation of destination charging locations, but I don’t know if they have a policy about the use of the wall connector with non-Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: theothertom