TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

destination charging etiquette?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by crackers8199, Aug 24, 2018.

1. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

we're going on our first road trip with the 3 tomorrow, from so cal to KC (and back next weekend). been researching destination chargers, and we found a hotel in alberquerque that has a destination charger...but they only have one tesla HPWC and one clipper creek (so two chargers total).

ordinarily i'd just book it and take my chances...but i also have hyatt points i could use to stay down the street for free. my dilemma here is that paying for the hotel is really only worth it to me if i can charge overnight and not have to waste time in the morning stopping at the supercharger. if i get there and there are already two cars charging, i'd rather just use my points and stay for free, and then stop at the supercharger in the morning before getting on the road.

so, my question is this...is there an etiquette to making sure i have use of the destination charger (calling to reserve use of it or something like that)? does it vary by property? or do i have to just take my chances?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Just have to take your chances, but I've never seen another car charging at a hotel outside of California. I usually call the hotel a few hours before arriving to let them know I'll be needing to charge and ask if they can put a cone out to prevent an ICE from parking in the space-- most are accommodating in that way. Regardless I've never had a problem.

3. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I went to one in lake arrowhead and the valet person rotated all the Tesla’s on their 2 chargers. Pretty convenient

• Like x 2
  4. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

You can call the hotel before you get there and talk to the front desk. Let them know you'll need the destination charger. They can put a cone out, but I've found it more effective if hotels tell one of their own employees to park there. That way when you get there, the manager can have the employee move their car so you can charge ... prevents the charger from getting ICEd by another guest.

If you do end up needing to supercharge instead of charging overnight, best practice is to do your supercharge at night before you go to sleep at the hotel -- don't wait to supercharge in the morning. It's the end of summer, so this is not a concern right now, but in the winter what will happen is that your battery will get cold-soaked overnight, and then when you supercharge in the morning the charge will take a lot longer than normal because the car has to back off the charging rate for a cold battery. Charging at night before you go to bed allows a normal-speed charge since the battery is still warm from the drive. I like to arrive at my destination around dinner time, check into the hotel, then go supercharge and eat dinner at the same time.

This is especially important in the Model 3 since there is no battery heater. If you charge the S/X with a cold battery, the supercharge will eventually speed up as the battery heater gets the battery up to temperature, but I don't think this will happen in the 3.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  5. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Not quite true, the Model 3 does not have a *dedicated* battery heater, however it will happily warm the battery using the motor as the heat source by configuring it to zero torque mode.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Well, we know the motor can heat the battery when driving, and there's been speculation that there is a zero torque mode that can generate heat without generating torque, but I have not yet seen proof that this is true.

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

call the hotel and ask them to block the charger. more often than not they do. but i've never had an issue with charger availability at the dozens of hotels i've stayed at

8. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

I bet on a two spot destination charger on a trip and when I got there both had Teslas using them. When I came out 12 hours later Tesla’s still there. 24 hours later still there. 36 hours later, still there! I ended up going on PlugShare and a really friendly local Tesla owner let me charge at his house. He even drove me to and from the hotel.

I put notes on both cars’ windshields with my phone number to please call me as I needed a charge and was out of range of any Supercharger. 1 guy texted me a day later and the second person never contacted me.

Now, non-Tesla EV owners have figured out how to use destination chargers (but not superchargers) with an adapter they can buy online. So it will just get worse.

At work every day, EV owners plug in in the morning and don’t move their car all day until 5 pm. They don’t take their cars out of the spot after they’re charged up. Essentially using it as their private parking spaces. I spoke to one of them and he became belligerent so I dropped it.

• Like x 1
  9. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I would talk to the company about this. The chargers were installed for employees to use not abuse as a parking place. If they care about helping promote EV use then they will probably do something about it. I'd also mention how you were treated. The attitude should be addressed too.

10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

It’s even worse at my company. They installed chargers recently by the building premium parking spots, because that’s the easiest place to pull power. From the building.

Now every day there are ICE cars blocking the chargers and to make it worse EVs park there with out charging. I keep complaining to commuter services but they don’t do anything about it. And on top of that they said security are the ones complaining that commuter services took their spots and installed chargers.

What do u do when security themselves are the offenders?

11. forkee

forkee Member

unfortunately it is only going to get worse at 3rd party charging locations. because they are on private property/lots, only the owner can legally enforce compliance of parking spaces. If they are unwilling or choose to turn the other way, you are SOL. If you are lucky, there might be a towing company placard visible in the lot that you can call and see if they want to make some money towing an ICE car from a charging spot but only if the spot states EV charging only. I doubt they will tow an EV from a spot even if it is not plugged in, unless there is a time limit. Even supercharging spots in mall parking lots allow ICE cars to park at designated spots, blocking it's usage for a Tesla actually needing to charge.

12. SigNC

SigNC Member

If it's me, I'm staying at the hotel you can get for free with points and spending the $10 at the supercharger or whatever it's going to cost you to charge up. If you couldn't get a hotel for free I'd take a chance on getting a free juice up overnight.

13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

But the supercharger is out of the way he said. That’s the delema. However I would never count on destination charging. It’s nice to have but it’s always blocked.

14. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

At my work I am finding more electric cars that are not plugging in, just hogging a spot. We have a few Chargepoint and a few dedicated spaces near light posts with 120. I have complained to see if we can get enforcement. We have to have permits, and we have onsite security to ticket, tow, or boot cars. We will see.... I rarely charge at work and if I do I found a 120 outlet close to where I normally park.

I assume that destination chargers in California are going to be occupied, I see Leafs, Volts, Primes, and I3s plugged in all the time. I am planning a trip to Disneyland in the winter and I just planned on using one of the local superchargers in Buena Park or Santa Ana, but I have no clue how crowded these are.

15. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Disneyland has ample chargers. When you pay for parking tell them you have a EV and need to charge. They will slip a piece of colored paper indicating you can turn left into the prime parking area.

Don’t miss that turn. After you pay for parking go straight. When all the cars take the right curve to go up the parking structure. You make a left. There will be a attendant there to guide you. Go slow.

If you get there relatively EARLY, before 9:00 ish you will get one of those spots. It’s like $0.35 a kw. But it is PRIME PARKING! Very close to the tram and well worth it. You are allowed to park there all day. It will stop billing you once your car is fully charged.

I can’t wait to go back and use those chargers. Hehe

• Informative x 3
  16. SigNC

SigNC Member

Ah I missed that it's way out of the way. If that's the case I might try for the destination charging with a backup plan.

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

If it's the security themselves just call the security company. Regardless of charging spot an employee of the garage/company shouldn't be taking prime spots.

18. SigNC

SigNC Member

So checking plugshare the sheraton downtown Albuquerque matches one tesla and one destination charger and the SC is very close:
    PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
    PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

3 miles apart. I'd say go for the free hotel and hit the SC. Also, you can wait and book when you get there. I've booked a hotel in the parking lot after seeing the charger was free. Of course doing this you risk it being full.

• Like x 1
  19. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

Thanks for the info. We have been staying at the Doubletree in Orange and ubering to Disneyland. This will probably be a better solution for us.

20. rdlink

rdlink Member

Agree with this. Heck, the SC is in an Applebee's parking lot. Get the free room, stop at Applebees, plug in your car, go inside for a drink and an app. Come back out and go to your hotel. Easy peasy.

Oh, and on your way to the free room stop by the Sheraton and verify that the chargers are blocked, so that you can feel even better about your decision... :p