Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen 1 Destination Chargers DO NOT Charge Post 2018 Model S. Per Tesla wall connector support team (877) 961-7652 or [email protected]

I thought they told me all Teslas but now have seen 3 &Y successful where my model S won’t.

They don’t tell you when you buy! My model s in car map shows chargers they know won’t charge the car!

Yep. Been a known issue for awhile:
Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?.
HPWC Problem, Gen 1 not working on Late 2019-2021 S & X.

We ran into this at my work with very early gen 1's. I posted about it at Not all Tesla chargers will work in my M3?. I pointed to means of identification at Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S. I noticed you replied that thread.

Is a bummer and would be nice if Tesla filtered out incompatible destination chargers. You could make a note of it on the Plugshare entry.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
How is it 3 and y models work and S does not?
Do 2021-22 S work?

Simply

It is an ethical issue.

Hotels don’t know and mislead customers.

Tesla knows and will not recall or notify customers.

Tesla does not even label their devices - (except with serial numbers that cannot be deciphered by service centers. only after persistent questioning will the wall charger team reply with number group info)

Irresponsible.

Reactions: cwerdna
Hotels don’t know and mislead customers.
While I understand your frustration, the two things you say say above are mutually exclusive.

Either hotels don't know, or they mislead. They can't do both (to mislead, you have to have some knowledge!)

And believe me, if you have found a hotel that actually knows how the chargers work (or in some cases know that they even exist)--especially enough to be able to "mislead"--they you have found a unicorn.

Any hotel that installed a Gen 1 destination charger (likely many years ago), is not out to "mislead" newer Model S owners. They are lucky if they advertise EV charging at all on their web sites, but even if they do, I certainly am not expecting them to (a) understand the intricacies of what models, models years (and even build dates in the case of Tesla) work with their chargers and (b) find a way to communicate that on their website which even if you're luck only has a single "EV charging available" line on the list of amenities on their website.

It's appropriate to be upset with Tesla over this, and they really should work to address the issue. But I can't really find fault with hotels that are only trying to provide an amenity to their customers and are getting caught up in what is an engineering tradeoff (or blunder?) gone bad.