Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging - free or what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
I've had a diverse experience with Destination Chargers on a recent trip.

Villa Dufot, Perpignan, France - free
Hotel Les Elmes, Banyuls, France - free
Mas deTorrent, Torrent, Spain - free
Palau Mirador, Montgri, Spain - free
Najeti Chateau Tilque, France - free
Hotel Logis - Le Moulin des Gardelles, Malauzat, France - €10 (north of Clermont Ferrand)

It should be noted that the Moulin was the, er, most modest of the stop overs on this trip. Lovely fresh painted decor, comfortable bed, adequate local cuisine at a fair price.

The 11Kw Tesla charger was around back, loads of parking but the charger was somewhat occulded by a bush. There were chargers for lesser vehicles not far away.

Given the location in an industrial estate with few other attractions this lodgement might not be on a future agenda. We did find a good bakery not far away (Alas, only had black coffee)...

Sounds like a reasonable charge. Private business would like to recover their costs of electricity as well as costs of installation.

Some like to offer it as "free" but charge more for their rooms to cover their costs.

The pay model is more fair, as only those using the services are charged. Those not plugging in will get slightly less expensive lodging.

Sounds like a reasonable charge. Private business would like to recover their costs of electricity as well as costs of installation.

Some like to offer it as "free" but charge more for their rooms to cover their costs.

The pay model is more fair, as only those using the services are charged. Those not plugging in will get slightly less expensive lodging.

Needs to be advised in their web/adverts/check in if that's the case. We could have got more Kws for less dosh at a Supercharger. Only found out about the charge at checkout.

I thought that Tesla destination charging was free everywhere, including France.
I have only used them 3 times (pre-lockdown) and only in the UK and there was never a hint that payment was required if you were a customer of the establishment. The presence of a destination charger was in fact the reason I chose to visit these places instead of 'the other place down the road'.
I have to say the pub and the 2 hotels that we visited were a cut above the rest and we have decided that the presence of a destination charger would swing the decision in any future travel decisions. This is supported by the fact that when we look at 'places what we have stayed at and enjoyed' in the past often feature a destination charger.

Reactions: M3noob and Roy W.
Typical. Before submitting the above I was looking for an article I had read on this and couldn't find it. Within 20 seconds of posting i found it and the reason I couldn't find it was because it was about the Porsche Destination network.

Much like Tesla’s own Destination Charging network, Porsche offers partners four chargers for free, and it will list the location in its navigation system.
In exchange, the location partners need to pay for the installation and give access to the parking spots and charging for free to Porsche drivers.

I assume the Tesla deal is the same.

Reactions: M3noob
Stumbled across a Tesla destination charger today in the car park adjacent to the Vue cinema in Stirling.

Never used a destination charger before so wasn't sure if I would be charged, turns out it was free! 7 kW charge point, Arrived with 65%, watched a movie and left with 100%.

Stirling Council still free for charging for EVs so really this just meant not faffing about with authentication.

In my excitement I totally forgot to pay to use the car park. Not sure if it uses ANPR or relies on manual checks so will find out soon.

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
My recent Destination experiences:
Seaview Hotel, IoW - free but sometimes duff
Najeti Chateau Tilques, Tilques - free but sometimes duff
Najeti Golf - free but sometimes duff
Hotel L'Angleterre, Chalon en Champagne - free but you pay €10 for off street parking (worth it)
Ibis Styles Mulsanne - free
Logis Auberge de la Tour, Marcoles - free
Mas Torrent, Torrent -free
Palau Lo Mirador, Torella de Montgri - free
Hotel Emporda/El Motel , Figueres - free in front (but garage parking with charger is €10) Their Porsche charger works fine for Tesla ;-)
La Costa Beach and Golf Resort, Pals - free but pay for inside parking (worth it in hot summer)

TANSTAAFL