Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging in Dallas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S M.D.

Ludicrous Radiologist
Oct 31, 2015
TX
Will be headed up to Dallas soon (from Houston) and wanted to see if there were any new destination charging options?

I was planning on staying at either NYLO or the Hyatt but am open to other suggestions, especially in North Dallas (Frisco, Plano, Carrollton)

Did you look at PlugShare? You aren't limited to just what's shown on the Tesla map. For example, the Embassy Suites in Frisco has some Blink EVSEs (you'd need a Blink card, but that's free if you don't use it)

Reactions: Model S M.D.
the info found on plugshare is "crowdsourced" if it incorrect, note the inaccuracy in the comments for that location and also contact plughshare, if nothing else the comment would serve as a warning to those looking for a charge. according to the maps on the tesla maps there are 2 hpwc units available at the farmers branch service center.

Last edited:
In hopefully a year the school I work for (Alcuin School) will be building a new Upper School and we are going to put chargers from Tesla in our new parking lot. We have several families that have a Model S and I'm sure like me, will be getting a Model 3. We are off of 635 and Preston, which is very close to the Galleria.

Just stopped by New Dallas Service Center @ Love Field.
Good news are there are some 110/120 V outlets in some of the light poles (did not check if any actually had power).
Bad news is there is NO sign of any HPWC or a 14/50 outlet in their parking lot.

No, I would not sign it up on Plugshare.

Note: There are two existing large transformers toward the far SouthWest corner of the lot, might need those just to power the building.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
@Model S M.D. :

I stay in DFW area every weekend and I have stayed in NYLO many times. Beware this is the place where those charging spots can be ICE'd easily. One night I have to wait for one hr for someone to move their vehicle.
have you ever made the management of the hotel aware of your issues with the problems the "ICING"?
You should remind the managers there that the that amenity (ev charger) was installed there to attract EV drivers. you need to make them aware that their allowing others to block that amenity will cause you to seek lodging elsewhere

@Model S M.D. :

I stay in DFW area every weekend and I have stayed in NYLO many times. Beware this is the place where those charging spots can be ICE'd easily. One night I have to wait for one hr for someone to move their vehicle.

I've stayed here a few times and this has happened to me too. The parking spots aren't right up front; they are on the side but not too far from the front and I guess that's why they get ICE'd fairly easily. I've seen a Tesla or two charging here almost every time. In addition to the Tesla HPWCs, they also have J1772 Clipper Creeks as an option if the HPWCs are taken or ICE'd.

• Informative
have you ever made the management of the hotel aware of your issues with the problems the "ICING"?
You should remind the managers there that the that amenity (ev charger) was installed there to attract EV drivers. you need to make them aware that their allowing others to block that amenity will cause you to seek lodging elsewhere

I've mentioned it and asked if they have a way to contact the person ICE'ing the spot and they don't - as expected. The person I spoke with didn't seem to know or care much about those spots so I gave up.

I have emailed their manager and have not received any reply.

This is why I quit staying at NYLO.

I prefer staying at other hotels where NR EVGO stations are close by.

This is very concerning! Is there any way to call the front and have them cone/block off a spot for me before I arrive?

The only other decent hotel I saw with destination charging was the Ritz ($$$$) and Hyatt downtown.

@taurusking Where else in Dallas would you recommend staying? I'd prefer the hotel itself to have charging, but may have to resort to somewhere with nearby EVGO to use chademo.

@Model S M.D. :

I've stayed here a few times and this has happened to me too. The parking spots aren't right up front; they are on the side but not too far from the front and I guess that's why they get ICE'd fairly easily. I've seen a Tesla or two charging here almost every time. In addition to the Tesla HPWCs, they also have J1772 Clipper Creeks as an option if the HPWCs are taken or ICE'd.

@Model S M.D. :

Depends on where you are going. I believe your first preference is Plano or Frisco area. If you are in town only for couple of days most certainly you can stay in NYLO Plano. That will be your first bet. Have your chademo adapter just in case. I like NYLO Irving/Las Colinas area as well.

I was just giving my thoughts about how NYLO does not care if their EV charging spot is ICE'd.

I have noticed that if you reach hotel close to 6 or 7pm then those spots are less likely to be ICE'd compared to late night check ins.

If you are visiting DFW frequently then use plugshare and priceline websites to book and they would be your best bet.

I work part time in a clinic in Fort Worth and hate to spend $$$$ in destination charging. I have saved a bunch of money by booking through priceline but careful to book at hotel where Chademo stations are close by.