Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
sorry for hijacking this thread, but I would love more destination chargers in the SW Florida area now that we are getting a service center.

My condo board would rather I drop dead than install an EVSE in the garage in my building. I only spend a week at a time in SW Florida 2-3 times a year, so i am usually not there with my Model S, but that could change to a more permanent relocation at some point which would make a more stable charging situation necessary.

When I was there with my Model S in January I used the Ft Myers supercharger once for some extra juice. I live 5 minutes from a destination charger near Marco Island (GEM Remotes), and the hosts there were gracious enough to allow me to use their HPWC, but I never did.

When I scoped out the setup earlier in the week, it turns out their HPWC is set up right by the garage where they load their trucks, and my Model S would block their operations unless I picked it up at 6 or 7 am before they opened for the day. I did not want to inconvenience them (or myself if I'm being totally honest) so I used the Ft Myers supercharger while I picked up a few supplies and a cappuccino at Target/Starbucks near the SuperCharger.

If the destination charger at GEM Remotes was somewhere in their parking lot where it did not disrupt their operations, I would have of course used it instead of the Ft. Myers supercharger which is a 40 minute drive from my home,each way. :(

I have not given up on the condo board yet.

** New Tesla Charging Station **

In 2017, the Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort on St. Pete Beach installed an EV and Tesla charging station for hotel guests. It's perfect if you're looking for a hotel with a charger that isn't priced through the roof for a suite room. The charging station is also available for guests staying at the sister properties; the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort and The Plaza Beach Hotel.

Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort
4321 Gulf Blvd
St. Pete Beach, FL 33706

Bay Palms Waterfront Hotel and Marina
4327 Gulf Blvd
St. Pete Beach, FL 33706

Plaza Beach Hotel Beachfront Resort
4506 Gulf Blvd
St. Pete Beach, FL 33706

Refer to Hotels in Florida with Charging Stations

Larry