TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Destination Charging location with no signage on spaces

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Zeromus-X, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Needed a room for the evening to avoid severe weather on I-44 and wanted one that had charging to save some time on my trip. Booked a room at the Best Western Plus Springfield Airport (Missouri), confirmed with front desk that they "rarely" see anyone use the chargers. I get here and both spaces are ICEd. But it's hard to blame them -- there are no signs or paint on the spaces to indicate they are EV spots, only the chargers mounted to the wall behind them (which, if you are unfamiliar with EVs probably mean nothing to you).

I've already contacted Best Western Plus customer service to find out about getting signage/paint/whatever and to express my concern about this being a Tesla Destination Charging hotel yet there's no indication at the hotel that the charger exists. I don't know the relationship that Tesla has with their Destination hotels -- is this something worth bringing to their attention if BW doesn't return an adequate response?

The front desk was considerate and sympathetic, but unable to really do anything about the situation aside from call me if the vehicles move tonight.

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

this is a problem that the property involved with needs to address.
    the front desk crew is probably clueless regarding the charging spots and your concerns should be made to the management or operator of the hotel. they made the investment to provide the charging amenity and they should be made aware that their investment is being wasted because of the poor markings of the units.

3. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

So... We can all, uselessly, express opinions in this thread.... or... we can individually express our concerns to Best Western Corporate. If they get significant feedback on such issues they are far more likely to develop policy to address said concerns.

Consider this a personal challenge for each of us: Are you a ''take action doer" or just a "forum potato"?

Best Western Customer Service Contact Information:

Customer service: 1 (800) 528-1238
    [email protected]

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I don't think it's an issue for corporate. Best Westerns are individually owned. The charging stations are a local decision, not part of the brand standard. You should address this to the general manager of the hotel.

• Like x 1
  5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

I suggest Tesla revise its policy of giving Tesla High Power Wall Chargers to hotels to include a requirement the hotel:
    1. marks each stall with a Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging ONLY signs provided by Tesla
    2. deploy tall traffic cones in these EV charging spaces as a deterrent
    3. locate the stalls in spaces that aren't in high demand locations on their property
    4. requires the hotel to also have these spaces lit properly
    5. mandates the hotel maintain these "free" HPWCs (We found several on our UT / CO road trip that were inoperative)
    6. agree to a policy of towing ICE cars in EV charging spaces after trying to contact the guests from their license plate provided when they registered at the front desk
    I know its a big "wish list" but probably easily implemented in return for Tesla "donating" HPWCs.

• Informative x 1
  6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No. That would kill the destination charging program. It's difficult enough to get hotels to take the free equipment. Hard for us to believe but it's true. Add these requirements and the hotel would just say forget it.

If hotels see it's bringing in customers, they'll do some of this because they want to, not because they have to. All but the towing part that is.

• Like x 1
  7. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Good news! I received a call from this location tonight out of the blue. They let me know that as a result of the email to their corporate office they're going to be installing signs on those spaces AND there's a company coming out to paint the spaces to clearly designate them as EV spots.

Hopefully this will be a positive change for anyone who needs to use these chargers in the future. A special thanks to anyone from Best Western who reads this for actually taking these ideas into consideration and taking action!

• Like x 6