Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

blastStu

Jan 29, 2023
UK
Hi,

I've got a model 3.. in the past I've have a bunch of non-Tesla EVs...all with CCS.

I've not used a destination charger with my Model 3 yet. In the past when using destination chargers there were always one or more chargers only for Teslas and then maybe one for everyone else with a standard type 2. I always assumed the Tesla ones had Tesla's bespoke connector on them.

I'm wondering if my CCS based model 3 will be able to use those Tesla destination chargers (as in the ones for Teslas.. not everyone else). Is there a different plug on them that won't fit the standard type 2 in my CCS plug... Or are all the connectors the same with just some kind of identification of the vehicle (like on a supercharger)?

Thanks.

In the past when using destination chargers there were always one or more chargers only for Teslas and then maybe one for everyone else with a standard type 2

There's a jumper inside the (Tesla) destination charger which sets it to "Teslas only". From memory Tesla provided the hardware "for free" to landlord on the basis that X of them were reserved for Tesla.

So Teslas will happily charge on either