TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Destination Charging problems

Discussion in 'Model S' started by randygts, Mar 20, 2018.

1. randygts

randygts Member

Anyone having any problems with Destination Chargers? I have used them over 50 times without a problem before this weekend. At two different hotels (Hotel Californian in Santa Barbara, and Hyatt Regency in Indian Wells) I have had this exact problem. You plug the cable in...for a brief second it shows 40 amps (I don't have twin chargers on my old MS). Then there is a "click" noise on the charger and the amperage immediately goes down to 12 (and only charges at 7mph.) This happened at three chargers at each location. The reason I can't imagine it's my car is that in between I used Destination Chargers at four other locations in California without a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? IMG_5846.PNG

2. aollivierre

aollivierre Member

In Texas this is what I get when u plug into these destination charger.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Could be a bad load connection on the HPWC side. I’d have the owner reset the breaker. Other option perhaps to try first is to reset the HPWC not much else since the HPWC is just a power conduit to the car’s charger (as you probably know!).

4. hacer

hacer Active Member

There is a reset button on the lower right side of the HPWC. You could try pressing that. It probably won't help but it's worth a try.

5. randygts

randygts Member

I did reset 3 or 4 of the 6 that didn't work correctly. Also told one of the employees at each site. It just still seems strange that this happened at two different locations two days apart.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

One other thing, we don't know how old and mistreated (weather? who knows) these units are. I was at the Skyland location on Skyline Drive and it has one of the original units; so, age could be a factor if the installations were back when. Some of the destination chargers, like any shared device, don't get treated very well. We also don't know the quality of the wiring. Who knows who installed them and how.

7. arcus

arcus Active Member

I'd check the state of the connector before plugging in (any visible moisture/debris). It makes whole of a difference.

The handful of DCs I have used so far (TX, TN, NC) all provided steady rate of charge at 40 amps or more.