Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having any problems with Destination Chargers? I have used them over 50 times without a problem before this weekend. At two different hotels (Hotel Californian in Santa Barbara, and Hyatt Regency in Indian Wells) I have had this exact problem. You plug the cable in...for a brief second it shows 40 amps (I don't have twin chargers on my old MS). Then there is a "click" noise on the charger and the amperage immediately goes down to 12 (and only charges at 7mph.) This happened at three chargers at each location. The reason I can't imagine it's my car is that in between I used Destination Chargers at four other locations in California without a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
IMG_5846.PNG

One other thing, we don't know how old and mistreated (weather? who knows) these units are. I was at the Skyland location on Skyline Drive and it has one of the original units; so, age could be a factor if the installations were back when. Some of the destination chargers, like any shared device, don't get treated very well. We also don't know the quality of the wiring. Who knows who installed them and how.

One other thing, we don't know how old and mistreated (weather? who knows) these units are. I was at the Skyland location on Skyline Drive and it has one of the original units; so, age could be a factor if the installations were back when. Some of the destination chargers, like any shared device, don't get treated very well. We also don't know the quality of the wiring. Who knows who installed them and how.
I'd check the state of the connector before plugging in (any visible moisture/debris). It makes whole of a difference.

The handful of DCs I have used so far (TX, TN, NC) all provided steady rate of charge at 40 amps or more.