TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Destination Charging program for Europe (mentioned in Q4 2014 Shareholder Letter).

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Benz, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Benz

Benz Active Member

Q4 2014 Shareholder Letter:

"Our charging solutions are becoming even more widespread,
    helping our customers to conveniently travel much further away
    from home. In Q4, we installed a quarterly record of 125
    Supercharger stations, and now have 380 Supercharger stations
    energized globally. As an extension of our Supercharger
    network, hotels and popular destinations have been installing our
    high-powered wall connectors at such a rapid pace that we are
    now coordinating these efforts as a Destination Charging
    program. Almost 900 locations in Asia and North America
    currently have 1,600 Tesla connectors installed. We plan to
    expand the Destination Charging program into Europe in Q2 of
    this year."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    progress.gif
    Let's create a list of all the locations in Europe (per country) where such a Tesla high-powered wall connector has been installed, and/or where there is an indication that such a Tesla high-powered wall connector will be installed in the near future.

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

That would be really great. Although I'm interested to see how they are going to do this.

Since the European Model S has a Type 2 socket other vehicles could charge there as well.

I know the Type 2 socket on a Model S is slightly different, so they could make a connector which fits on Tesla vehicles only.

3. mblancom

mblancom Member

Perhaps this is the only way to have Tesla Chargers in Spain if any...

4. JoeNe

JoeNe EU P 1662

My charger is open for use. It even has a Tesla sticker designed by Xfrank.

2015-03-04 09.02.55.jpg

5. Benz

Benz Active Member

There was another important detail during the March 19th announcement.

Elon Musk also said that there is a huge network of Tesla Destination Chargers.

And regarding the question of Destination Charging relative to Supercharging, Elon Musk replied: "We will probably see longterm maybe a factor of ten more Destination Chargers than Superchargers. I mean they will be virtually everywhere."

It sure would be convenient to have a Tesla Destination Charger network that's about ten times bigger in total number of locations than the Tesla Supercharger network.

I think that this detail is actually going to really help to end the perception of range anxiety (on top of the Tesla Supercharger network and Range Assurance and Trip Planner).

6. rdias

rdias Member

It´s really strange what is happening in europe.... Tesla is forgetting destination charging program and forgetting country from south of Europe... like Portugal...Spain...

7. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

rdias, TESLA is not forgetting it is just really hard to get the necessary permits in France, Spain, Italy and probably Portugal as well. So it is taking MUCH longer, to implement the supercharger network in those countries, than initially expected. They will come but you will have to be patient....... Me as well since I would like to drive to Portugal as I used to do with my ex ICE..... I know hardcore EVfiles will say this is doable even today, but with a family of 7 such a trip needs to be painless so no superchargers=no trip!

8. rdias

rdias Member

i dont think so... my friend.... something is happening... the burocracy in portugal is not a problem in our days... we do everything very quickly because we need external investiment...

Tesla is recruting since two years ago to open Madrid Shop and Barcelona Shop... and Lisbon ? they already send two technicians to repair two Model S and they have said that there is nothing for Portugal... really strange....

9. pvh

pvh Active Member

I think they will use the same protocol to check at the SuC if you have the option "Supercharging" enabled. The car coommunicates with the charger and identifies itself, and via GPRS/3G the charger checkes with the Tesla Database. There must be some kind of monitoring also to check the availability of the chargers.

10. Inverse

Inverse Member

That not really the truth, is A investment problem, the same problem because they don't open service centers and shop in Spain, Portugal, Etc.

11. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Well its actually all of the above. :)

12. pcdefl

pcdefl Member

there is a vacancy for an intern to work on the destination charging network in Spain and Portugal
    http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/careers/job/destination-charginginternspain-33021
    question: does anyone know if there is any place with it implemented, regardless (or not!), of the said intern already hired, and (another question) if anyone knows if only Tesla vehicles can charge in the destination chargers