Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Program: Submission review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what criteria must be met before Tesla considers a site (that has been submitted via their website (Destination Charging) for a destination charger location OR how long we should expect to wait before hearing about a site submission request? I have a friend who owns a business that is a hybrid gas station/market/tap room where the electricity supply is supplemented by solar panels (installed on an adjacent set of storage buildings) and is located in a very favorable location (less than a mile from a popular state highway and about 75 miles from the nearest SuperCharger). We (myself and the business owner) have both submitted the location on the website, but haven't heard anything regarding the status of the inquiry yet. The fact that there isn't a destination charger within 45 miles of the location and the business owner is very supportive of green energy initiatives (and also happens to the be the town mayor) should factor positively in the eyes of those deciding where to put destination chargers. Any advice on getting some positive attention? Thanks!

I think they favor hotel locations as those are far more useful to travellers. In general though they've commented that they just have a large backlog of locations that are requesting destination chargers.

And it is not without precedent. There are HPWC installations at both DuCard and Pearmund Vineyards (Wineries?) in VA. They are moderately strategic depending on how far away you are from the location.

At the meetups I've been to, someone is almost always glad of the availability to charge.

In South Lake Tahoe there is a real estate office that is listed as a "destination charger" and that sounds incredibly unexciting compared to a tap room so I don't see why they wouldn't list it.
It's not a matter of listing it. It's giving away one or two HPWCs and paying for most or all of the installation cost.

For some of the weird locations, I think they weren't really part of the Tesla destination charging program, meaning not provided by Tesla, rather someone who owns a Tesla installed a HPWC at their place of business and offered to make it available to others who need a charge.

That, ultimately may be what has to happen. For a business, it's not a tremendous investment and if it increases traffic, it could pay for itself over time (especially in terms of goodwill and environmental consciousness). It's too bad there isn't a hotel within walking distance because the beer and food are great at this place ;)