Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still at least a year away from my Model 3, but one of the questions on my mind is about destination chargers. If I'm taking a family road trip during the holidays, when many others are doing just the same, what happens if the hotel is short on destination chargers? So maybe they have 2, and both are in use? Is there some coordination to have the hotel move the charging cord at night from one vehicle to another so more can get charged? Or is this just not a problem yet?

It hasn't been a problem yet, at least outside of California. If it does become a problem, I wouldn't expect the hotel to get involved unless it's one with valet parking. You'll have to work that out among yourselves.

Could someone clarify for me how that works? Specifically, I thought the charging cable was locked into the car when the car was locked. Does it unlock when the car reaches its desired SoC? Otherwise how would it be possible (at least with a tesla charger) to unplug someone else's car?

Could someone clarify for me how that works? Specifically, I thought the charging cable was locked into the car when the car was locked. Does it unlock when the car reaches its desired SoC? Otherwise how would it be possible (at least with a tesla charger) to unplug someone else's car?

Yes, if it’s a Tesla-specific cord in a Tesla charge port, they are locked in. No, it doesn’t become unlocked when it’s finished charging. If it’s a J1772, through an adapter in a Tesla charge port, then only the adapter is locked into the port. The J1772 handle can be unhooked from the adapter while the adapter stays in the port.

Protocol depends on each location, as @TexasEV mentioned. Right now, it’s so rare that it’s not much of an issue, but it might be good practice to make sure to leave your phone number with the front desk, so they can contact you if there needs to be some sharing of the plug.

Yes, if it’s a Tesla-specific cord in a Tesla charge port, they are locked in. No, it doesn’t become unlocked when it’s finished charging. If it’s a J1772, through an adapter in a Tesla charge port, then only the adapter is locked into the port. The J1772 handle can be unhooked from the adapter while the adapter stays in the port.

Protocol depends on each location, as @TexasEV mentioned. Right now, it’s so rare that it’s not much of an issue, but it might be good practice to make sure to leave your phone number with the front desk, so they can contact you if there needs to be some sharing of the plug.
That sounds like a good solution for popular destinations. Maybe eventually we'll have an option in the software that allows you to unlock it if you're at a certain percentage.

It hasn't been a problem yet, at least outside of California. If it does become a problem, I wouldn't expect the hotel to get involved unless it's one with valet parking. You'll have to work that out among yourselves.

It is a problem. I have experienced full chargers at the airport which is particularly a problem if you drive a long distance to get there and will be out of town for a long time (charge will drop while unplugged). The solutions are:

1) More charge points, especially cheap outlets in the airport scenerio. I don't need a high power charger at the airport if I am out of town for days. A 110 outlet would be fine.

2) More Superchargers. If there are plenty of superchargers, an extra 30 minutes before or after is easy to accommodate.

3) Valet system for EVs. Many of the Tesla destination chargers are at nicer hotels/Inns and are in an are only accessible to the Valet. While that is a pain if you prefer to self park, it can help the problem of charger congestion. Tesla has also demo'd an automated charging system (robotic snake-like charge cable) that could do the work of a valet automatically when coupled with the Tesla summon feature (very cool).

4) Leave your contact information on the dash. That way if someone shows up and needs a charge and you are done, they can unplug you. You can actually use the Tesla app to remotely unlock the charge port allowing someone to unplug you and plug themselves in. This only works if the charge cable is long enough/designed to service multiple parking spots but many are. Some folks have actually developed apps to do this.

5) Call ahead and speak to the hotel staff. I have had instances where I know I arriving very late and will definitely need a charge. The staff can put a cone in the space to prevent it from being blocked by a Non EV.

6) Real time status of chargers. Knowing someone is already plugged in can help you make alternate plans ahead of arrival and avoid a problem.

7) Have a plan B. Scope out an alternate charging location when possible. Carry adaptors and/or extension cords for use when needed. Even a 110 outlet can get you a nice charge when parked overnight.

8) Be an advocate. Choose hotels, restaurants with EV charging and let them know that's why you patronized them. This encourages the build out of infrastructure.

Reactions: TaoJones and Booga
It is a problem. I have experienced full chargers at the airport which is particularly a problem if you drive a long distance to get there and will be out of town for a long time (charge will drop while unplugged). The solutions are:

1) More charge points, especially cheap outlets in the airport scenerio. I don't need a high power charger at the airport if I am out of town for days. A 110 outlet would be fine.

2) More Superchargers. If there are plenty of superchargers, an extra 30 minutes before or after is easy to accommodate.

3) Valet system for EVs. Many of the Tesla destination chargers are at nicer hotels/Inns and are in an are only accessible to the Valet. While that is a pain if you prefer to self park, it can help the problem of charger congestion. Tesla has also demo'd an automated charging system (robotic snake-like charge cable) that could do the work of a valet automatically when coupled with the Tesla summon feature (very cool).

4) Leave your contact information on the dash. That way if someone shows up and needs a charge and you are done, they can unplug you. You can actually use the Tesla app to remotely unlock the charge port allowing someone to unplug you and plug themselves in. This only works if the charge cable is long enough/designed to service multiple parking spots but many are. Some folks have actually developed apps to do this.

5) Call ahead and speak to the hotel staff. I have had instances where I know I arriving very late and will definitely need a charge. The staff can put a cone in the space to prevent it from being blocked by a Non EV.

6) Real time status of chargers. Knowing someone is already plugged in can help you make alternate plans ahead of arrival and avoid a problem.

7) Have a plan B. Scope out an alternate charging location when possible. Carry adaptors and/or extension cords for use when needed. Even a 110 outlet can get you a nice charge when parked overnight.

8) Be an advocate. Choose hotels, restaurants with EV charging and let them know that's why you patronized them. This encourages the build out of infrastructure.
Your situations are spot on with the situations where you arrive with just enough charge and so you're counting on being able to plug in.

And do call the property beforehand and do your best to ensure that you speak with someone who has a clue.

Despite one property in Tucson being listed in Marriott's green list, when I called to confirm (because I'm that guy), the manager was baffled and stated unequivocally that they neither had, have, or as far as she knew were scheduled to get EV chargers of any kind. Given that Tucson, a city of more than 1,000,000 people (greater metro area) and the 2nd-largest city in Arizona, has been long-neglected insofar as getting an SC (nearest one is 75-100 miles away), and given that the available Chademos are either throttled or broken or restricted or some combination thereof, this could have been a significant problem.

There's been at least one case in which a guest was told in advance by the concierge that a property (not a Marriott) had an EV charger. Upon arrival, it was found to be long inoperable. Oops.

Ergo, a Plan B and Plan C can be useful as noted above. I carry adapters enough to charge from 50A to a wall outlet. In the end, all one needs is enough juice to get to the next faster charger.

I have an idea for destination/Supercharging, at high volume locations, such as an airport, that could use the Summon feature.

Picture, up against a far wall of an airport parking garage, 5 or 6 spaces marked off for Teslas.

On this wall are 2 rails, on at about 3 feet off the ground, another at approximately 6 feet off the ground. On each of these rails, rides an apparatus that holds 2 "robot snake" chargers......meaning 4 Teslas could be charged at any given time, as coordinated by the onsite Supercharger system.

When you arrive at the garage, your car asks for your return flight information. You can park anywhere in the garage, but ideally, there would be "not-currently-charging EV only" parking.

Using current flight info(delays, etc), your vehicle backs into a spot and gets plugged in and heats/cools the car as necessary, while you're taxiing to the terminal and collecting your bags. Then, Summon could bring the car to the passenger pickup point in the terminal, where you could continue on your way via manual control or Autopilot....

I think the bigger issue with EV charging spots, is non-EVs parked in them. I think 50% of the time I've seen an EV charging/parking spot it is occupied by a SUV/Truck. But hopefully wouldn't be an issue at hotel destination chargers. I know there was a push for whole home AirBnB hosts to be offered free Tesla charger installations; however, currently haven't seen anyway to filter those locations on AirBnB, outside of going to a map view of the world where they did the filtering of Tesla ready hosts.

I know I've begun looking into options for a road trip possibly next summer after I have my Model S. I worked multiple summers as a backpacking guide, so I also enjoy camping in a tent for road trips, so RV campsites offer a possible travel option as can charge at the RV hookup + could just sleep in the back of the Tesla if I'm not carrying too much gear.

I have an idea for destination/Supercharging, at high volume locations, such as an airport, that could use the Summon feature.

Picture, up against a far wall of an airport parking garage, 5 or 6 spaces marked off for Teslas.

On this wall are 2 rails, on at about 3 feet off the ground, another at approximately 6 feet off the ground. On each of these rails, rides an apparatus that holds 2 "robot snake" chargers......meaning 4 Teslas could be charged at any given time, as coordinated by the onsite Supercharger system.

When you arrive at the garage, your car asks for your return flight information. You can park anywhere in the garage, but ideally, there would be "not-currently-charging EV only" parking.

Using current flight info(delays, etc), your vehicle backs into a spot and gets plugged in and heats/cools the car as necessary, while you're taxiing to the terminal and collecting your bags. Then, Summon could bring the car to the passenger pickup point in the terminal, where you could continue on your way via manual control or Autopilot....
This is a solution looking for a problem. Rube Goldberg would be proud. (Google it if you're under 60).