TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Destination Charging Rates don't add up.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Garlan Garner, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Quick question:

How does a destination charger ever get to 16kw?

220 volts X 48AMPs = 10,560kw

Find Us | Tesla

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

Well 240volts is standard 208 is common too, and HPWC can be installed at I think 13differnt amperage settings from 12-80amp though not all cars can take 80amps early model S with dual chargers can these days even the S and X cap out at 72amps.

Maybe you didn't understand destination chargers deliver AC current meaning you are limited by the onboard charger, Supercharger delivers DC and what the car can take is software limited to what is healthy for the battery

3. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

It doesn't. Model 3 support 11kw for a HPWC (240v * 48a)

What you are seeing is the max capacity of the charger itself. because other models support higher amperage HPWC charging.

4. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Exactly. The 100 kWh S/X models support 240V x 72A = 17.2 kW max (15 kW on a 208V commercial install). [Edit - And some older models supported 208V x 80A = 16.6 kW)

• Informative x 1
  5. SSedan

SSedan Member

I feel I should have been clearer above. Internal to the HPWC there is the ability to set to I think it is 13different maximum amperage settings so it can be used on a variety of different circuit sized. Just because a place installs a destination charger doesn't mean they have to install it at maximum capacity.

Honestly I think it would be great if place you spend a lot of time at like hotels always did banks of 4 load sharing on a 100amp circuit but that wont always be the case. One place I stayed had it adjacent to a cabin and had it at I believe 80amps but if they had limited it to 20-30amps so as not to have to upgrade service to the cabin I would have been just as happy to have it.