Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats very much not cool. are they plugged in or just ICEing the spot? according to Car2Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they exclusively Smart Fortwo vehicle , and for san diego they are all the electric version. thats not cool if one company blocks all the public chargers across the city. the should be fined hardcore for doing so.

They were plugged in. I was so frustrated I signed up for their stupid service to see if I could move them my self and was told it would take up to a week to process my driving record. Based on the tons of complaints on plugshare about it, these guys do this every single day. Best part is I called them to see if they would come down and move them and they refused (potentially because of the holiday weekend). They said they have a "written agreement with the city and their customers are allowed to leave the cars there"... Hopefully they'll go bankrupt soon.

They were plugged in. I was so frustrated I signed up for their stupid service to see if I could move them my self and was told it would take up to a week to process my driving record. Based on the tons of complaints on plugshare about it, these guys do this every single day. Best part is I called them to see if they would come down and move them and they refused (potentially because of the holiday weekend). They said they have a "written agreement with the city and their customers are allowed to leave the cars there"... Hopefully they'll go bankrupt soon.

you signed up for their service just to move the cars out from blocking the EV chargers so you can charge your own car? LOL

- - - Updated - - -

you signed up for their service just to move the cars out from blocking the EV chargers so you can charge your own car? LOL

ah ok. "there are no hidden costs, security deposits, monthly fees or charges...only 41 cents a minute" so it'll cost you $0.41 to move their car so you can charge your own. LOL thats funny.

- - - Updated - - -

ah ok. "there are no hidden costs, security deposits, monthly fees or charges...only 41 cents a minute" so it'll cost you $0.41 to move their car so you can charge your own. LOL thats funny.

Haha, thanks...

You have to pay for them to pull your MVR record, $35.00 and that takes up to a week. I needed to get back over the hill to go home to AZ.

I get that they want their vehicles accessible and charged, but it's bogus that they take nearly every spot imaginable.

Nothing wrong with car2go. It's a huge success in Amsterdam and i hope they'll do well. San diego should just go ahead and build way more public chargers.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread but had a ridiculous experience in San Diego this weekend. There's tons of public charging locations but they're way too slow or wrongly used. A company called cars2go has cars spread out throughout the city and insists on blocking all charging locations.

Regardless, superchargers are a necessity in big cities, particularly tourist destinations. The argument that they will be abused seems pretty faulty at this point.

They have an agreement with the city to use those spaces. You can get a card from them for free to move those cars when you need the spot to charge. I got one, even though I am in San Diego only infrequently.

They have an agreement with the city to use those spaces. You can get a card from them for free to move those cars when you need the spot to charge. I got one, even though I am in San Diego only infrequently.
That's not good enough. How are people supposed to know they need to get a card from Car2go in order move their cars in order to use the public charging stations, especially visitors to the city?

That's not good enough. How are people supposed to know they need to get a card from Car2go in order move their cars in order to use the public charging stations, especially visitors to the city?

I agree that it needs to change for the betterment of the EV users as you say, especially visitors. Write to the SD city council! That said, you should apply now and keep the card for your next trip!

https://www.car2go.com/en/sandiego/

Car2go should install their own charge stations instead of blocking public ones.

They would never survive that! They could not offer these rates with that expense.
Simple Pricing

One time sign up fee $35 plus tax
Per minute $0.41 plus tax
Per hour $14.99 plus tax
Per day $84.99 plus tax
Per mi after 150 mi per trip 45 cents, plus tax

Last edited:

Well it is ridiculous. That's fine if they have an agreement, just use half the spaces. It was memorial day weekend, their cars didn't move all day long. On top of that they blocked the spots on either side of the chargers at the three parking lots I tried. They'll go bankrupt soon enough. They have to deliver and pickup the vehicles twice daily, I'm sure that's not cheap.

In amsterdam car2go cars have to be put in a charging station whenever the battery percentage goes under 30% or 20%. If the SoC is higher you can just park the c2g anywhere. It's a hassle to hook a car up to a charging station so you wouldn't do it if you don't need to. In Amsterdam a lot of them are taking up charing station spots but there's more then enough charging spots left over for other types of cars. If that's not the case in San Diego then the problem is that there's not enough charging stations.

I don't think cars have to be delivered and picked up. At least in Amsterdam it's a completely autonomous system.

A private company should not be given preferential access to public charging stations. If they don't install their own stations, they should at least be required to have employees move the cars away from the charging stations after they're charged. If they're allowed to keep the cars there semi-permanently it's no different than the spaces being ICEd.

Actually, knowing the nature of the Car2Go service, but not the details of implementation, I'm surprised that the chargers are for public use at all. In my mind is it similar to Bollore in Paris - they are put there for the use of the service and any other use is incidental and not to be relied upon. I was equally surprised to read the post on this forum describing how to sign up and use the Bollore pedestals in Paris to charge a Model S. They charge an hourly rate for charging that is less than the parking fee at a nearby parking lot.

In amsterdam car2go cars have to be put in a charging station whenever the battery percentage goes under 30% or 20%. If the SoC is higher you can just park the c2g anywhere. It's a hassle to hook a car up to a charging station so you wouldn't do it if you don't need to. In Amsterdam a lot of them are taking up charing station spots but there's more then enough charging spots left over for other types of cars. If that's not the case in San Diego then the problem is that there's not enough charging stations.

I don't think cars have to be delivered and picked up. At least in Amsterdam it's a completely autonomous system.

You're right. I'm sure Amsterdam has a much more substantial infrastructure and I would assume that travel distances are substantially lower than they are here in the US. The parking lots in question are only open from 4AM to 10PM, the cars were gone at night and re-appeared during the day. It was frustrating because I had to travel inland to the Tesla Service Center and wait 2 hours for my car to top off, instead of using the beach charging lots as intended.

Cars2go is comming to Los Angeles

:scared:

car2go Around the World

Surf’s Up – car2go L.A. Launches

Just in time to avoid June Gloom, car2gos will be hitting the South Bay on June 6th.

From the Strand to Lomita, all the car2go benefits you love are included like FREE parking, gas and insurance... because the 405 can be adventure enough.

That is not as "new" as the article claims. I think Tesla started that program last year.

Yeah, they definitely have had a program for a while... but my understanding is that it was a general program with the hospitality industry for a "but one get one free" HPWC offer.

This mentions a specific partnership with several Hotels, so I wonder if it's a slightly different plan.