Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination route based autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else hoping for this?

Although I'll admit I don't have FSD fever I'd be satisfied for a while with DRBA.

I'd like to say, "navigate to destination X" and have the vehicle autopilot the exact route shown on the display so I don't have to stress over missing a turn or detail with all the commotion that exists on one of our typical road trips.

For now this would hold me over even if it was necessary to have my hands on the wheel and intervene at various points along the route.

Even better if it was interactive via speech for the occasional last minute audible or when the vehicle needs to consult the driver on an alternate route or up coming situation.

.....probably make my life 1% better.

FSD is just that, FULL SELF DRIVE. Meaning it will handle all intersections, stop lights, stop signs, traffic, pedestrians, etc. etc.

What the OP is asking for is AP being able to negotiate a predetermined route by making the necessary turns and such itself. But still have human intervention every 1.6 miles, and still have humans negotiating stop lights and the like.

Remember when we purchased our AP2 cars we were promised that AP would take the proper on and off ramps, negotiate lane changes, etc. to merge onto the correct interstates and so on when driving across country? This is fairly close to what the OP is asking for and would be quite nice to have. I’ve driven millions of miles on virtually every interstate in the US and it’s still nerve wracking sometimes trying to get into the correct lane to take the correct exit to get on the correct highway to continue my journey in major cities. I can only imagine how stress inducing it is for someone seeing that area for the first time.

Reactions: onlinespending
If I understand what you're looking for correctly, it has already been promised.

Once eAP gains the ability to autonomously change lanes in the freeway, they'll add code so it picks the correct lane and the right side of a split.

Since we know FSD is years off I think a little taste of it could be accomplished.

So the car could attempt to follow the route by changing lanes and speeds on freeway and with verbal cues prior to allow for a clean exit that's approaching .
Maybe turing on blinker as well.
Taking exit ramps would be big where the car actually exits. Now on the streets it helps you figure out the correct lane so you don't miss a turning lane, provides blinker support, and possibly some steering support or stopping recognition of signs.
Or even offer a highly interactive mode option where the car reminds you to be in a certain lane, nudges and prompts you, and gives you feedback or options along the way, all while you have your hands on the wheel but not staring down at the nav screen.
This along with TACC would be a nice touch for now and prevent the driver from sudden stops and from missing turns and misinterpreting the nav route especially in unfamiliar territory.
It would also be neat to get interaction on traffic and alternative routes ahead of time and be able to change route verbally. With the proper info the car can calculate ETA based on traffic, speed limit, construction, weather, along with distance in order to recommend best route and then basically ask you what you think or decide for you based on your preferences and previous history. So basically a car that's more interactive and intuitive as we slowly head toward FSD.
For example, the vehicle tells you it needs to change lanes and slow down to make this exit since it's raining and your speed seems too fast to get all these things done in .1 miles as it attempts to safely change lanes with blinker support for you. You can take over anytime and have the can resume anytime with a simplye button press on the wheel or verbal cue. Basically it would be like having a person in the car with you that is an expert in every location on geography, weather, traffic, constantly advising you and bouncing things off of you to build a preference model that can be used to make future decisions. And while we're at it throw in tour guide support as well. There's just so much that can be done by these cars prior to FSD that would make the driving experience that much better.

I'd settle for automatic lane changes in traffic, but obviously the system needs to be very robust on spotting vehicles coming up behind at speed - which it isn't right now! If it could safely change lanes by itself without risk of getting hit from behind, that would be a huge step forward. Basically needs to match or exceed human judgement of vehicles approaching from behind and that means ALL vehicles.

The current signal based auto-lane change is a pretty good compromise, but doesn't work on many UK roads where it would be very useful. So have to put up with switching in/out of AP while lane changing, which is quite irritating with all the bing-bongs and music volume suppression.

Edit: actually it would be great if you could simply switch off the bing-bongs with AP activation. TACC doesn't have them, so don't see why AP should really. It's one of those pointless nannies we are forced to accept!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteybabes
Ahh well thats might be it but for the ones it does on TACC it doesn't seem to on auto steer even though its the same one on both tests. In for a service visit today so hopefully I will get 18.20.5 and will be able to do some more testing.

Ahh well thats might be it but for the ones it does on TACC it doesn't seem to on auto steer even though its the same one on both tests. In for a service visit today so hopefully I will get 18.20.5 and will be able to do some more testing.

I'm fairly sure mine is consistent with TACC and AS, but I'm not 100% certain of that. But it definitely slows for some roundabouts in AS, that I do know. The other thing I've noticed is that AS slows for changes in speed limit, but TACC doesn't. I presume that's simply because AS has it's own imposed speed limits on certain roads.

AP1 is supposed to go on-ramp to off-ramp.

AP2/EAP is supposed to (eventually) add highway intersections, so the software will handle the ramps between limited access highways on your route.

FSD is supposed to handle everything. As Tesla makes progress on the FSD software, I expect we'll see the FSD software operating in "driver assist" mode - and do what the OP wants.

Once Tesla does the promised coast-to-coast demonstration FSD drive (with a human monitoring), Musk has indicated we'll start seeing that software (in driver assist mode) distributed in a software update a few months later. Which could be late this year or next year.

Remember when we purchased our AP2 cars we were promised that AP would take the proper on and off ramps, negotiate lane changes, etc. to merge onto the correct interstates and so on when driving across country? This is fairly close to what the OP is asking for and would be quite nice to have. I’ve driven millions of miles on virtually every interstate in the US and it’s still nerve wracking sometimes trying to get into the correct lane to take the correct exit to get on the correct highway to continue my journey in major cities. I can only imagine how stress inducing it is for someone seeing that area for the first time.
Remember when we purchased AP1 cars we were [promised?] that AP would do on/off ramp AND advanced summon on private roads.

To be honest I can't see FSD until ALL cars are FSD. They have to be able to talk to each other as well otherwise it will never be safe enough. I really think consumer level FSD is still 5-10 years away.
Do you really think that all of the motorcycles and non-FSD vehicles (including semi-trucks and military vehicles) on the road are going to be banned from all roads in 5-10 years? That would be un-American to say the least. FSD has to work without that, and there isn't any good reason it shouldn't.

Reactions: Enginerd
Not sure where I said vehicles should be banned? I actually think FSD is a good 10 years away if not more.

Every single drive something happens where I think ‘how would the car have dealt with that’. Tree branches fallen into the road (but around 1m from the ground sticking out), massive potholes, fallen over road cones, pedestrian crossings, zebra crossings (uk thing), bicycles, blowouts, roundabouts, the list goes on....

It might be a bit quicker in the US due to the road structure but it’s almost inconceivable for it to be able to manage a start to finish drive in the uk, every time, without input for many many years.

Reactions: Peteski