Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailing advice required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my car is almost 10 months old. I had planned on a full wrap but never did it. Nor did I get Opti-coat. Now I have a few light marks in the clear coat from people brushing up against the car. I am now considering my options and looking for advice as I've never really mastered the science of car care. So for example, if I go someplace like Metropolitan Detail what services am I likely to need? Is Paint Correction needed or is that just for swirls? Is a good hand wash, clay bar and Opti-coat treatment the baseline choice? I'd love a full wrap but $10K is probably not going to cut it. A full front wrap doesn't protect the doors and that seems to be where the marks occur.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, my car is almost 10 months old. I had planned on a full wrap but never did it. Nor did I get Opti-coat. Now I have a few light marks in the clear coat from people brushing up against the car. I am now considering my options and looking for advice as I've never really mastered the science of car care. So for example, if I go someplace like Metropolitan Detail what services am I likely to need? Is Paint Correction needed or is that just for swirls? Is a good hand wash, clay bar and Opti-coat treatment the baseline choice? I'd love a full wrap but $10K is probably not going to cut it. A full front wrap doesn't protect the doors and that seems to be where the marks occur.

Thanks in advance!

These questions can really only be answered by you.

If you were coming to my studio, we'd:

1. Assess the current condition of your model s: Interior/Exterior
2. Measure your paint thickness. This helps us understand how aggressive we can get with your paint should there be imperfections in it that would require paint correction
3. Ask how do you plan on maintaining in the future...car wash, you doing it yourself, or perhaps having us do maintenance. This is crucial as the washing and maintaining are the achilles heal of every program. You can spens $1000s and have your car look better than new, but it only takes 1-2 washes to completely ruin it all
4. Based on above assessment, we'd see if your model s has imperfection in the clearcoat that would require paint correction
5. Recommend either a Phase 2 or Phase 3 service...2 focuses more on exterior and 3 is a complete interior/exterior service
6. If there are imperfections in the paint such as swirls, scratches, water spots, etching, factory imperfections, etc. we'd advise paint correction. Crucial to do since this perfects the paint's appearance and prepares for a solid foundation for any wax or coating
7. I'd point you away from opti-coat as I firmly believe nanotechnology is far superior... we'd recommend CQuartz Finest or Modesta
8. As for clear bra protection, we'd definitely recommend doing the front end while there's still time and hopefully you don't have a ton of rock chips. If you do, try and touch them up, then wrap
9. If your budget allowed, and you were going to keep model s for many more years, we'd recommend a full wrap

Hope this helps. But, you have a great company to work with since John and Ben are some of the most talented guys in the country. Trust what they recommend and give them as much data as you can so a custom recommendation can be made for you

Hope this helps

Could you describe why you would recommend CQuartz or Modesta over Opti-Coat? I have a final surface correction and front wrap scheduled immediately after delivery next month and I'm interested in a permanent coat and I understand the other two wear off after a while and would require re-application. I'm more interested in protecting the original factory clear rather than greatly enhancing appearance, and when I wash I almost never use anything but pressure wash and air-dry (I almost never physically touch the paint with a towel, except when I really need it or I have to clay, etc.).

I've done my own amateur polishing work on my older car so I have an understanding of the effort requiring in maintenance, although I suspect some amount of swirling is inevitable given enough time over various driving conditions. Ultimately I just want to be able to save factory clear.

These questions can really only be answered by you.

If you were coming to my studio, we'd:

1. Assess the current condition of your model s: Interior/Exterior
2. Measure your paint thickness. This helps us understand how aggressive we can get with your paint should there be imperfections in it that would require paint correction
3. Ask how do you plan on maintaining in the future...car wash, you doing it yourself, or perhaps having us do maintenance. This is crucial as the washing and maintaining are the achilles heal of every program. You can spens $1000s and have your car look better than new, but it only takes 1-2 washes to completely ruin it all
4. Based on above assessment, we'd see if your model s has imperfection in the clearcoat that would require paint correction
5. Recommend either a Phase 2 or Phase 3 service...2 focuses more on exterior and 3 is a complete interior/exterior service
6. If there are imperfections in the paint such as swirls, scratches, water spots, etching, factory imperfections, etc. we'd advise paint correction. Crucial to do since this perfects the paint's appearance and prepares for a solid foundation for any wax or coating
7. I'd point you away from opti-coat as I firmly believe nanotechnology is far superior... we'd recommend CQuartz Finest or Modesta
8. As for clear bra protection, we'd definitely recommend doing the front end while there's still time and hopefully you don't have a ton of rock chips. If you do, try and touch them up, then wrap
9. If your budget allowed, and you were going to keep model s for many more years, we'd recommend a full wrap

Hope this helps. But, you have a great company to work with since John and Ben are some of the most talented guys in the country. Trust what they recommend and give them as much data as you can so a custom recommendation can be made for you

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice Moe, I really appreciate it coming from an expert. As I said I am relatively inexperienced at car care but I would to learn. I will probably setup an appointment to get a diagnostic recommendation. I too would be interested to hear the reasoning on Opticoat vs. other choices.

Could you describe why you would recommend CQuartz or Modesta over Opti-Coat? I have a final surface correction and front wrap scheduled immediately after delivery next month and I'm interested in a permanent coat and I understand the other two wear off after a while and would require re-application. I'm more interested in protecting the original factory clear rather than greatly enhancing appearance, and when I wash I almost never use anything but pressure wash and air-dry (I almost never physically touch the paint with a towel, except when I really need it or I have to clay, etc.).

I've done my own amateur polishing work on my older car so I have an understanding of the effort requiring in maintenance, although I suspect some amount of swirling is inevitable given enough time over various driving conditions. Ultimately I just want to be able to save factory clear.

Sorry for the long rant in advance...I'm passionate about what I do and how I unbiasedly educate the consumer in our industry.

To first clarify, there is no such thing as a "permanent" coating. The only "semi-permanent" layer you can add to the vehicle that is safe, effective, and protects, is clear bra. I say "semi" because the film will age over time, 5-10 years, and you'll eventually replace it. But, in that time, you don't have issues with rock chips, swirls, scrapes from shopping carts at Costco ;)

Now, if you want to protect the actual paint without putting on clear bra, then products like waxes, sealants, and nano coatings are the answer. These products will last a few weeks, to a few years. I'm not going to focus on sealants much, because IMHO, now that there's nano coatings, that category doesn't serve a purpose any more. You either want carnauba wax because it gives a certain look and "glow", or you want extreme protection, hence nano.

I will first address why I'm a fan of nanotechnology, such as Cquartz Fienst and Modesta, as opposed to a product like opti-coat. I'm not a chemist by any means, but I don't believe opti coat is a nano coating, according to their MSDS, it's a polymer resin. I'm not an expert, but from doing a little searching on google, polymer resins are plastics that become very hard and durable and have a nice gloss. I was solid on nanotechnology about 4 years ago when I first played with a product from Germany that was carnauba-based and infused with nano. The shine, protection, and how clean the vehicle was after a few weeks, sold me on the technology. But that company, BlueChem, never advertised it as a "permanent" coating.

So, that leads me to why I never jumped on opti-coat bandwagon. I felt that the consumer was being given False Expectations. We all in the industry know NOTHING is permanent...think about it, why would you need us any more? You have the detailer "coat" a car, then all you do is wash it for the rest of its life. So, fundamentally and ethically, could never sell something making such a false and misleading claim. This issue is now finally addressed, as Optimum Car Care, makers of opti-coat, released this week that they will no longer have a lifetime warranty, and have now limited the warranty to 5 years. I commend them for that and I think their installers should now feel better being associated with the brand that is doing the right thing.

I'm old school...I dont care how great a product is, it's the people behind it that I form a relationship with. From that, you'll know if you're working with a guy that is making a solid product or someone out to make a buck.

As for nano, CQuartz Finest and Modesta in particular, you first are dealing with some of the most skilled installers in the country. Both manufacturers have strict guidelines and screening process. They only want the most talented and professional installers. They know their product will sell because it is proven, quality control is extremely high, and the skill needed to install it is only for those experienced enough to use it and troubleshoot should anything go wrong. Since there's already a wide demand for these brands, they also know how easy it is for installer to upsell. So, it's basically like giving ice to a vendor in the middle of desert and giving him a geographic area to use/sell it. The rest is up to the installer to care for his customer, apply product correctly, and constantly evolve and educate. Also, there's one great and crucial aspect to working with both CQuartz and Modesta....if for any reason, the installer is not doing applications correctly, misleading client, or simply doesn't provide customer service to the expectations of the manufacturer, installer license can be terminated. And when it comes to CQuartz, I've actually seen a handful of guys lose their license because of doing practices that weren't motivated by integrity and honor. That should be a huge deal for the end-user to know.

I've been doing this for 20 years...as a career, not a hobby or part-time gig. Nano is a game changer and the technology is proven. But as always, seek out the best detailers you can afford. In the end, he/she will use the right products, and products change. Your detailer and the relationship you build, that, should be lasting.

I appreciate the explanation. My main concern is longevity. While I know these products haven't been out for a long time, based on your experience how would you consider general durability differences between Opti-Coat / Modesta / CQuartz in terms of estimated years?