TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Details on the Front Motor

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mdevp, Oct 10, 2014.

1. mdevp

mdevp Member

So the S85 DM has two 188hp motors, is it a completely new motor or a detuned version of the 380hp rear motor in the S85? Haven't read any details on this motor, like, is it new from the ground up or does it have any improvements compared to the old one.

2. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

It is very possible that this motor could be put in a Model 3, and they have been developing that motor for the AWD X too. It most likely is new.

3. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

May be some weight savings.

4. mdevp

mdevp Member

I'd really like to know if they made any significant improvements with this (possibly) newer smaller motor. I'm surprised no one has heard any details or rumors.

5. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

It's also possible the motors are all the same, with different inverters. That's my guess.

6. invisik

invisik Member

We were discussing this possibility over here as well. Makes sense to start putting it through the paces now so it's real-world tested for a few years for the Model 3. Seems like it would be smart.

-m

7. thelastdeadmouse

My assumption, which I have no evidence whatsoever to supports, is that the motor and inverter are the same as or derived from the one Tesla provided for the front wheel drive electric Mercedes B Class.

8. ra-san

ra-san Member

#8 ra-san, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    I was told the new motor is a new design, but upon reflection they may have meant new vs the current S motor instead of completely new (though that seemed obvious, so I took it to mean all new). When I asked if it was the new RAV4 motor (which I'd heard from some thread here I think) I was told no. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it were based on something they've already engineered but they didn't volunteer any more answers. It is physically smaller than the current Model S motor. It wasn't directly said, and was apparently forbidden to actually talk about, but from the way the various employees described things, it's pretty clear that these were the motors that will be in the X. I suspect these new chassis and motor configs are exactly what the X will be offered with - but no one would confirm that of course.

The new smaller motors are the same across all the models except I was told they were slightly de tuned for the 60, due to power available from its battery.

9. mdevp

mdevp Member

Thanks for the good info. I wish they'd made a S85D with the old 380hp in the rear and the new motor in the front (instead of two 188hp motors) so people could get that performance but still choose the 19in wheels...I bet they prototyped one but the performance numbers were too close to the P85D and they thought it'd siphon sales away.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Shall we call this the frotor? Or fromotor?

:)

11. NoMoDinos

NoMoDinos Member

Just Fro' (and the back motor is the Bro)

Hey Amped, I just realized how many posts you have on the TMC forums, too. You been cheatin' on us? :)

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Frodo-frodo-11310711-1024-768.jpg

13. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Does anybody know if frunk space is different On a a D? Any open frunk pics?

14. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The "microwave" is gone.

15. Olle

Olle Member

From the weight specs of the new cars one can deduct that the new front and DUs weigh about 110-115kg each, and the old rear /P85D rears weigh about 150kg

16. maz4278

maz4278 Member

the 2 motors definitely do not have to work as hard as one single motor. I think this design is going to increase engine life longevity.

17. KalOrtPor

KalOrtPor Member

I think they've clearly drawn a line now between the performance and non-performance versions.....The people who go with the performance version will pay a bit more of a premium than before, are now forced to get 21" wheels (dealbreaker for many), air suspension (there is no P85D non-plus), along with the existing red calipers and alcantara.....Be grateful they didn't do what Mercedes did with the W222 S550 and force pano roof too! So I think it will benefit more people who opt for the S85D to get the 295 mi range instead of extra performance, since if performance is a concern they would step all the way up to the P85D.....Or P85, but really, with such a difference in performance for minimal additional cost, who's going to order a P85 anymore if they were already willing to spend the amount a P85 costs? Especially with the $6,000 of the former + option rolled up into the P85D price (and I remember the uproar of how many P85 owners wished they could have gotten the + instead when it came out).....Watch it get dropped soon enough!

18. Vger

Vger Active Member

Good point, but perhaps more to the point, gearbox longevity. From the descriptions of people's drive unit failure symptoms, it sounds like many or most of the failures were from the gearbox, not the motor itself. I would guess that the motors are fairly indestructible.

Remember this was the achilles heel of the original Roadster 1.0. I guess it is STILL a hard problem to solve, dealing with that massive instantaneous torque onset!

19. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Hey, this also means they won't heat up as quickly... maybe the D is more like a track car, just like it is more like an autobahn car!