Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deteriorating falcon wing door moon roof gasket on early model X’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so disappointing. I just bought my 2019 Model X about 3 weeks and I use the carwash often. Had I known this were an issue I would have never bought it. Tesla should really be ashamed of this but apparently not. What need we do to initiate a class action lawsuit? There is no way this is industry quality. Sorely disappointed.
I've been referred to a local Firm here in Montgomery, AL. I hope to to talk to them this week. My fear is, since there is no "liability" involved (no injuries, no deaths, not a safety issue), they will not be interested. Even if they can win, besides recovering their hourly fees, there probably isn't any real money in such a suit. We'll see.
Is your rubber trim deteriorated? If not, do they look brand new? Maybe the previous owner already had the repair done?

which service center in vegas did you go to? the one on E Sahara is telling me to pay $2400 eventhough i have ESA...
W Sahara. Maybe just leave alone, my car was in service on 2/28,3/12,3/14,3/20 & 3/22. Some how after they replaced the roof panels, after three years, seven months of zero issues, this happens (see photos), the service manager accused me of damaging the car!?! Parts order, scared to even take to the service centers now.

Attachments

• 39FF01AA-4260-49A3-AC53-A25AF452812C.jpeg
    39FF01AA-4260-49A3-AC53-A25AF452812C.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 258
  • C0A4CEB5-8E05-43A4-91FC-EBBB5841CCA0.jpeg
    C0A4CEB5-8E05-43A4-91FC-EBBB5841CCA0.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DF2A8850-3EB7-42B2-A332-89D8E46B921D.jpeg
    DF2A8850-3EB7-42B2-A332-89D8E46B921D.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 139
  • 2E3918D9-589B-40C7-BC57-C7A695F2A9D0.jpeg
    2E3918D9-589B-40C7-BC57-C7A695F2A9D0.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 165
Not much hope for class action suit. Made contact with a firm here in Montgomery, AL, they were already familiar with the issue. I guess with over 150,000 Model X’s on the road with this issue (2016-2019 total production), they have been contacted about this many times before. They say the Tesla arbitration clause is a hard-stop for any class action suit. So, I’m off to arbitration.

Reactions: Dcam
W Sahara. Maybe just leave alone, my car was in service on 2/28,3/12,3/14,3/20 & 3/22. Some how after they replaced the roof panels, after three years, seven months of zero issues, this happens (see photos), the service manager accused me of damaging the car!?! Parts order, scared to even take to the service centers now.
From your pictures, I can't tell how serious this is? The first, third and fourth look like the (cosmetic) plastic/rubber cover at the inside edge of the flex point of the door is just somewhat pulled off. The second looks like the interior trim is a little loose? Does the door (doors?) still open and close smoothly? Is it seating properly when closed?

I complained about this exact thing under warranty for my late 2017 Model X to my service center 3 times. After the service writers refused, I asked nicely for escallations to the service center and district managers who all told me I'd have to pay $2400, and that they could not guarantee that it would not happen yet again. They all said it was a "Wear and Tear" item and not covered under warranty. (How can water entering the cabin not be a major concern for Tesla!) I would love to join a class action lawsuit to lend my support, especially since my claims were done under warranty and they refused. They tried pointing to a current warranty statement which was modified with this sort of thing back in 2020. I had to point out thy my warranty my 2017 car is covered under the warranty language stated at the time of purchase, and that there were no exclusions on rubber gaskets. I'm not the sort to start legal battles, so I'll vote with my $, leave the brand and make sure all of my friends know about the horrible quality and service issues that Tesla has. The overall service experience with Tesla is the worst of any car I've ever had - including Toyota! I already have a 4WD Cadillac Lyriq on order and will replace our second Tesla Model X with (and don't laugh at my mid-life crisis choice), the Cadillac Celestiq. Please DM me if you need any support with your class action lawsuit.

I complained about this exact thing under warranty for my late 2017 Model X to my service center 3 times. After the service writers refused, I asked nicely for escallations to the service center and district managers who all told me I'd have to pay $2400, and that they could not guarantee that it would not happen yet again. They all said it was a "Wear and Tear" item and not covered under warranty. (How can water entering the cabin not be a major concern for Tesla!) I would love to join a class action lawsuit to lend my support, especially since my claims were done under warranty and they refused. They tried pointing to a current warranty statement which was modified with this sort of thing back in 2020. I had to point out thy my warranty my 2017 car is covered under the warranty language stated at the time of purchase, and that there were no exclusions on rubber gaskets. I'm not the sort to start legal battles, so I'll vote with my $, leave the brand and make sure all of my friends know about the horrible quality and service issues that Tesla has. The overall service experience with Tesla is the worst of any car I've ever had - including Toyota! I already have a 4WD Cadillac Lyriq on order and will replace our second Tesla Model X with (and don't laugh at my mid-life crisis choice), the Cadillac Celestiq. Please DM me if you need any support with your class action lawsuit.
I contacted a local firm here in Montgomery, AL. They were already familiar with the situation (apparently contacted by many MX owners) and they say the Tesla arbitration clause is iron-clad, no avenue for a class action. An owner's only recourse is Arbitration. I'm doing it now.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I'm wondering what I should do. As I posted on another thread, the seals on my 2017 MX 75D are in bad shape with some outright holes.

I got the car used from a dealer who told me they would fix it, but they can't and I seriously doubt they had this cost in mind when they wrote "fix seals" on the due bill.

I am wondering what action to take but I may be more inclined to come up with my own fix.

I'm wondering what I should do. As I posted on another thread, the seals on my 2017 MX 75D are in bad shape with some outright holes.

I got the car used from a dealer who told me they would fix it, but they can't and I seriously doubt they had this cost in mind when they wrote "fix seals" on the due bill.

I am wondering what action to take but I may be more inclined to come up with my own fix.
What kind of “my own fix” do you have in mind? I keep looking at time and thinking there has to be an easier way but not getting any good ideas.

I would not press the used car dealer. I'm certain they thought "fix seals" would mean use some off-the-shelf weather stripping and peel the old stuff off. I thought the same thing when I first started trying to get this fixed. Low-n-behold we all come to find out the seals are integrated into the glass and the only way to replace the seals is to replace the glass (bad design - manufacturer's defect - in its own right). No way the used dealer could have know this, even us owners did not know this until it was too late. As I've said in above posts, only recourse is to go to arbitration. Put in the service request, get the estimate, ask for warranty replace (they will deny) then go to arbitration. Don't attempt any fix on your own, you run the risk at arbitration of Tesla lawyers saying "you voided the warranty" or you "destroyed" the seals off your own accord, and they are not responsible for any damage you do the vehicle.

This is so disappointing. I just bought my 2019 Model X about 3 weeks and I use the carwash often. Had I known this were an issue I would have never bought it. Tesla should really be ashamed of this but apparently not. What need we do to initiate a class action lawsuit? There is no way this is industry quality. Sorely disappointed.
I contacted a local firm here in Montgomery, AL. They were already familiar with the situation (apparently contacted by many MX owners) and they say the Tesla arbitration clause is iron-clad, no avenue for a class action. An owner's only recourse is Arbitration. I'm doing it now.

I would not press the used car dealer. I'm certain they thought "fix seals" would mean use some off-the-shelf weather stripping and peel the old stuff off. I thought the same thing when I first started trying to get this fixed. Low-n-behold we all come to find out the seals are integrated into the glass and the only way to replace the seals is to replace the glass (bad design - manufacturer's defect - in its own right). No way the used dealer could have know this, even us owners did not know this until it was too late. As I've said in above posts, only recourse is to go to arbitration. Put in the service request, get the estimate, ask for warranty replace (they will deny) then go to arbitration. Don't attempt any fix on your own, you run the risk at arbitration of Tesla lawyers saying "you voided the warranty" or you "destroyed" the seals off your own accord, and they are not responsible for any damage you do the vehicle.
Sound advice but…. I want to see what someone can do with a tube of black RTV;) My grandfather was an RTV artist but he preferred the orange and really was more of modern abstractonist than a realist or impressionist. Ok just gobbed it on like a kindergartner but maybe in The hands of a true artist you could fix the seals for cheap!

I know nothing about arbitration or class action. When the SC quoted me to replace the seal, one had to purchase the glass as the seal is bonded to the glass (if course it is bonded). So I looked for alternatives. In my case, the seal is ripped about 6 inches from the outside edge. There are no cracks in the seal. I noticed that the alignment of the glass to the aft trim piece was not good and was putting extra pressure on the seal and most likely caused the rip in the seal. Replacing the glass/seal without correcting the alignment would not accomplish anything. Believe it or not, crazy glue works very well on rubber. As an interim measure I crazy glued the two pieces together. That was 3 months ago, and it is still secure. Mind you, the 'look' is not perfect but at least it is secure. I ordered and received the rubber seal from my SC and intend to replace it in the near future. There is a bonding strip on the new seal so install on the glass should be straight forward. Details on how to remove the glass are in the Service Manual. Somewhat tedious but mostly removing interior trim that are secured with numerous clips. Alternately, one could take the vehicle to an experienced body shop (perhaps a Tesla approved shop) to have the work done. But as I already said, in my case, properly shimming of the glass is critical to preventing a reoccurrence.

I tried one sided tape of various types, and premium rtv silicone adhesive. None of them worked. It is kinda hard to explain but where it ripped was at the spot where it connects at 90 degrees to the rest of the seal so there is really nothing to tape to. Perhaps some tape that had a manufactured ninety degree bend to it might work but I could not find a suitable product. The crazy glue works just fine. I used the Guerilla gel product as it is easier to manage the flow. And, make sure you cover the interior in the event of any drips.

Design isue that they claim is normal wear and tear. File a class action lawsuit and I'll join you. The whole glass needs to be replaced and Tesla being who they are 90% of the time break the glass removing it so even if it could be reworked, they'd screw it up and replace the glass at $1k a pop
Here here. We like the company, but darn it if their service philosophy won’t be the end of their market domination before long. We’d be willing to enter a class action too. ‘17 MX with extended warranty and multiple denials of coverage as “cosmetic.”

Hi HockeyPlayer:

I have had the same issue you describe below with the falcon wing seals on the top windows. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of my original warranty statement (as you pointed out, Tesla modified the language in 2020). Would you have a copy of the warranty from when you purchased the vehicle that you could email me?

Thank you