TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Deteriorating Range P90DL

Discussion in 'Model X' started by PM90D, Dec 2, 2019.

1. PM90D

PM90D Member

Range was about 255 miles in late August and several updates later I'm down to 236 miles. MX is 2016. Anyone else experience the same issue?

2. forkee

forkee Member

Yea I'm down to 217...... :confused:

3. Tberk

Tberk Member

I have a 2016 MX P90D. My range has dropped but I'm thinking it mostly from the cold weather. It's 35-40 in Boise lately.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

Batteries lose range. Hard fact. Studies I've read is 6% or so first year and then about 1% each year thereafter, and most complaints I read are in that ballpark, so in the first FIVE years expect to lose near ten percent. OR MORE, as you say, due to cold weather, driving in rain, driving in mountains, hot rodding, etc, etc.

People who buy 40 kW, 60 kW, 75 kW batteries are going to wish they had paid a little more for more battery, because it doesn't take too many years before your range really shortens. Even the Model 3 with 320 miles of range will soon give "only" 290. I know, <sob>. (Them's tears, not cussing)

I think this is why superchargers are filling in the gaps so chargers are only about 100 miles apart.

5. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Have you got a OBD tool? Must be worth checking usable kWH.

6. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

You have missed the point of the thread. '90' packs seem to suffer worse degredation than any other battery packs Tesla have produced, it seems some '90' packs have barely any more usable kWh than a 75 once degredation starts, but the 90s are still handicapped by extra weight, so in real life use some 90 pack car will have less/similar range to 75 pack cars.

7. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

I forget the exact number of usable Kw’s on the 90 but I believe it’s 82 or 83?? The 75 has 75 and to the 100 battery pack has something like 101-102kw.

We just traded out our 2016 90d x to a 2018 100d x and it’s truly like going from a 75 to a 100. Massive change for us.

8. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

9. _jmk

_jmk Member

My x75 is two years old in one week, 65000km on the clock. Degradation is minimal, it charges to 321km typical out of 330 as new. Less than 3% drop.

10. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

you are lucky....mine dropped 11 percent with same age and distance...most of it during the software updates in June.
    I am getting 210miles (337km) from originally 237

11. snorp

snorp Member

I thought these were only rated at 250 miles range brand new? You say you were getting 255 miles?

My 90% is 218 and 100% is 238. In real life I get about 100-120 miles actual range from 100% charge driving 80mph on the interstate.

12. greginfinity

greginfinity Member

Wow. Is that really how bad it is with a 90D, even in good weather?

13. _jmk

_jmk Member

Whoa. What’s the pack version saying? This car was manufactured dec17-jan18 and the battery sticker says 1088790.

Few weeks ago there was a poll on the finnish owners forum (2k members) and no-one reported any numbers higher than 4% for the same age.

14. snorp

snorp Member

I'm sure this has been debated in the past but I do not think the range numbers Tesla provides is close to reality. The Tesla trips website shows a new MX SR with advertised 255 miles range can't make it from Atlanta to Augusta (150 miles) without stopping at the Athens SC. No idea what the algo assumptions are but 100 mile range buffer would seem sufficient.

Go Anywhere | Tesla

I'm planning a trip to Kiawah between xmas and NYE and it's a little sketchy fully loaded with kids and gear in cold weather. There is a destination charger at Kiawah but no SC at Charleston which is giving me hesitation.

I do have the v3 battery so that is a plus.

15. _jmk

_jmk Member

I get almost the advertized epa range out of the 75. It does 360km (epa 384) during the summer if the max speed is 63 or so.

16. Emanmdphd

Emanmdphd Member

My range usually drops in the winter and comes back in the summer. Total degradation on my pack Dec 2016 X90D since I bought is about 8% at 63k miles currently. I charge to 90% usually and try to never go below 15%. Supercharge anytime convenient and never hesitated to charge to 100% for trips. The estimated range really fluctuates based on seasonal weather I’ve found and also with update versions (but less so)