Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deteriorating Range P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Batteries lose range. Hard fact. Studies I've read is 6% or so first year and then about 1% each year thereafter, and most complaints I read are in that ballpark, so in the first FIVE years expect to lose near ten percent. OR MORE, as you say, due to cold weather, driving in rain, driving in mountains, hot rodding, etc, etc.

People who buy 40 kW, 60 kW, 75 kW batteries are going to wish they had paid a little more for more battery, because it doesn't take too many years before your range really shortens. Even the Model 3 with 320 miles of range will soon give "only" 290. I know, <sob>. (Them's tears, not cussing)

I think this is why superchargers are filling in the gaps so chargers are only about 100 miles apart.

People who buy 40 kW, 60 kW, 75 kW batteries are going to wish they had paid a little more for more battery

You have missed the point of the thread. '90' packs seem to suffer worse degredation than any other battery packs Tesla have produced, it seems some '90' packs have barely any more usable kWh than a 75 once degredation starts, but the 90s are still handicapped by extra weight, so in real life use some 90 pack car will have less/similar range to 75 pack cars.

I forget the exact number of usable Kw’s on the 90 but I believe it’s 82 or 83?? The 75 has 75 and to the 100 battery pack has something like 101-102kw.

We just traded out our 2016 90d x to a 2018 100d x and it’s truly like going from a 75 to a 100. Massive change for us.

People who buy 40 kW, 60 kW, 75 kW batteries are going to wish they had paid a little more for more battery, because it doesn't take too many years before your range really shortens. Even the Model 3 with 320 miles of range will soon give "only" 290. I know, <sob>. (Them's tears, not cussing)

My x75 is two years old in one week, 65000km on the clock. Degradation is minimal, it charges to 321km typical out of 330 as new. Less than 3% drop.

you are lucky....mine dropped 11 percent with same age and distance...most of it during the software updates in June.
I am getting 210miles (337km) from originally 237

Whoa. What’s the pack version saying? This car was manufactured dec17-jan18 and the battery sticker says 1088790.

Few weeks ago there was a poll on the finnish owners forum (2k members) and no-one reported any numbers higher than 4% for the same age.

I'm sure this has been debated in the past but I do not think the range numbers Tesla provides is close to reality. The Tesla trips website shows a new MX SR with advertised 255 miles range can't make it from Atlanta to Augusta (150 miles) without stopping at the Athens SC. No idea what the algo assumptions are but 100 mile range buffer would seem sufficient.

Go Anywhere | Tesla

I'm planning a trip to Kiawah between xmas and NYE and it's a little sketchy fully loaded with kids and gear in cold weather. There is a destination charger at Kiawah but no SC at Charleston which is giving me hesitation.

I do have the v3 battery so that is a plus.

My range usually drops in the winter and comes back in the summer. Total degradation on my pack Dec 2016 X90D since I bought is about 8% at 63k miles currently. I charge to 90% usually and try to never go below 15%. Supercharge anytime convenient and never hesitated to charge to 100% for trips. The estimated range really fluctuates based on seasonal weather I’ve found and also with update versions (but less so)