Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Determining cause of storm watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way in the Tesla app or elsewhere to determine what specifically triggered a storm watch event? The area I’m in has no incoming weather, and although it has been a bit smoky, there are no nearby wild fires. I’m trying to figure out if the storm watch is a mistake, or if Tesla knows something I don’t.
1F3C4F49-45DA-445E-93C4-8DAF3DCEE794.jpeg

I have noticed that in my weather app (I happen to use one called Dark Sky) every stormwatch trigger I have seen coincides with an equivalent National Weather Service alert for my area in my weather app.

Recently, I got "excessive heat" NWS alerts, and on one of those, stormwatch was triggered (as an example) but on a couple other heat alerts it wasnt. When I see stormwatch kick on, checking NWS for my area normally shows what is going on, so thats how I do it.,

Reactions: silenteski
Sure enough, there is a “red flag” warning ~50 miles south of my location. Thanks to you all for the help, I’ll know to check NWS in the future!

I’m near Boise, ID. The smoke is likely out of fires here in ID as well as eastern OR.

I have noticed that in my weather app (I happen to use one called Dark Sky) every stormwatch trigger I have seen coincides with an equivalent National Weather Service alert for my area in my weather app.

Recently, I got "excessive heat" NWS alerts, and on one of those, stormwatch was triggered (as an example) but on a couple other heat alerts it wasnt. When I see stormwatch kick on, checking NWS for my area normally shows what is going on, so thats how I do it.,
It would be nice if Tesla published the list of warnings that should trigger stormwatch. We know the red flag warnings trigger it, as do tropical storm/hurricane warnings, but my experience has been that thunderstorm and flash flood warnings do not. Maybe they shouldn't, but it would be nice to know this is the expected behavior.

Does anybody know if the Powerwall actually learns from the event type and outage history?

We had a "hazardous weather condition - flood warning" yesterday but no storm watch was triggered. We lost power last night along with 35,000 other houses in the area :(

upload_2020-12-25_17-2-4.png