TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Determining Interest in 2nd run of front-rear camera switch for touchscreen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Dec 20, 2015.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Over the past several months I've received PMs from a number of owners who are interested in the front/rear camera switch kit, which was available in 2014 but has since been out of production. Based on these inquiries I'm considering another production run but only if there is sufficient interest to justify production of 100. Here's a link to very long thread with probably all the info anyone would need to know about the switch.

The
    Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit was developed by WhiteP85 and me with input from the members of TMC. When the kit is installed it provides the same high-definition view on the touchscreen for the front of the car that is provided for the rear of the car by the rear camera. With a Tesla rear camera mounted in the front of the car, the switch makes it possible to switch from rear to front view when parking your Model S. The front view has the same wide angle of sight as the rear camera and the same high-definition resolution. Given that the rear camera is on the front of the car, the front view is flipped on the horizontal plane.

With a camera mounted on the front of the car the switch will obviate the need for front parking sensors, as a driver will be able to see on the touchscreen any obstacles that might damage the front bumper or any other part of the front of the Model S. The kit is ideal for owners who bought cars prior to the time the Tesla parking sensors were available as well as those with newer cars who would like to have an extra measure of protection beyond that provided by the parking sensors. The YouTube videos below show the switch in operation on the touchscreen:

The kit includes the PCB switch itself, mounted in a plastic case, with all components to make it operational, including a
    wireless remote control that can synced with HomeLink, so switching from rear to front view can be done with via the touch screen. The kit also includes an OBD2 connector that offers a simple way to provide the necessary 12v power and ground connections to the switch.

The photos show several image of PCB switch case, including one of the connections before mounting behind the dash.

_DSC4898.JPG

DSC_5069.jpg

Installation of a fully operational Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch requires that buyers also purchase separately the following:

> Tesla
    rear camera, part #1006773-00-E. The camera can be ordered from any Tesla Service Center. The cost is about $450.

> Cables to connect the front and rear cameras to the PCB switch and the PCB switch to the touchscreen. The cables can be purchased from any Tesla Service Center. The Tesla rear camera is about $450 and the cables about $60.

The camera switch PCB case is mounted in the space behind the driver's side dashboard, which is accessible by removing the small triangular flap on the left end of the dash.

The switch is plug-and play and full installation instructions with photographs are be provided with each kit. Installation will be fairly easy for experienced DYI types and very easy for any aftermarket installation shop.

The cost of Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch kit price is $350. This price is based on an initial production run of 100 kits.

If you are seriously interested in the camera switch and would buy it if was offered again kit please indicate by posting on this thread.

Attached Files:

2. Victor Liu

Victor Liu Member

I would be definitely interested. Would you be able to recommend any installers in the NJ area? Otherwise I am sure I can research it.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It this goes ahead we'll do some group installs in New Jersey.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Looks like there's not enough interest for another production run.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

This by far was the best mod I've done to my car.

The Rear Applique is pretty cool, but the front camera is worth way more than the cost.

6. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I love this mod, my favorite feature. Even the new gem cars from the factory don't have this! Seriously it's a wonderful useful mod.

7. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

Hmm. I can't seem to find a picture of the camera or mount.

8. tomy

tomy Member

Would be keen to get one

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Mine is mounted behind the lower grille. Easy to do. It can also be mounted on the upper grille, on the ledge between the between the two, and on the license plate frame.

DSC_5960.JPG

DSC_5320.JPG

_DSC4445.JPG

DSC_5781.JPG

10. Cowby

Cowby Member

ok...i'm in...can you package everything together so i don't have to order individual parts from the SC?

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Problem is I can't order the camera and cables in bulk from Tesla. It's basically one or two at a time. They just haven't figured out how to make the parts thing a profit center.

12. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I have a full set, de-installed from my previous model S before selling it. Switch box, Tesla OEM cables and camera. I'll sell it for the original price I paid.

PM me if interested.

13. lousecco

lousecco New Member

Damn it all I'm interested

How do I get one on my own?

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I understand that some original buyers still have not installed theirs. So you may want to post to see if any are available.

15. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this mod. I use my front camera frequently--several times today, in fact! When pulling up to a snow bank I can see exactly how close I'm getting, and never crunch into the snow (or brick wall, concrete parking barrier, etc.). The rubber strip just below the lower grill sticks further out than any other part of the car, and my camera has a bird's eye view of that spot, so I can park to a fraction of an inch away without worry.

Here is how my camera looks, mounted to the front lower grill:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72651.jpg

16. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Cool, plate covering yours. I like that.

I'm interested if someone has one they haven't installed.

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

That's a cool install. Looks like HAL 9000.

The front camera mod is the best thing ever. So glad I didn't let the expense deter me from going for it.

18. jacobp

jacobp Member

I would be very interested in either a second run or purchasing this from someone who hasn't installed theirs yet. Please PM me if you have one to sell.

19. Scott216

Scott216 Member

Have you thought about just selling the pcb design files and bill of material so that electronic savvy folks could just build their own? Electronics is a hobby of mine; I've had PCB boards made by oshpark.com, it's only about $5/square inch. Or if you didn't want to let the design files out of your control, you could just have the PCBs made yourself and sell them unpopulated.

20. deonb

deonb Active Member

I second that. I'll be very interested to buy an unpopulated PCB.