Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Determining Interest in 2nd run of front-rear camera switch for touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past several months I've received PMs from a number of owners who are interested in the front/rear camera switch kit, which was available in 2014 but has since been out of production. Based on these inquiries I'm considering another production run but only if there is sufficient interest to justify production of 100. Here's a link to very long thread with probably all the info anyone would need to know about the switch.

The
Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit was developed by WhiteP85 and me with input from the members of TMC. When the kit is installed it provides the same high-definition view on the touchscreen for the front of the car that is provided for the rear of the car by the rear camera. With a Tesla rear camera mounted in the front of the car, the switch makes it possible to switch from rear to front view when parking your Model S. The front view has the same wide angle of sight as the rear camera and the same high-definition resolution. Given that the rear camera is on the front of the car, the front view is flipped on the horizontal plane.

With a camera mounted on the front of the car the switch will obviate the need for front parking sensors, as a driver will be able to see on the touchscreen any obstacles that might damage the front bumper or any other part of the front of the Model S. The kit is ideal for owners who bought cars prior to the time the Tesla parking sensors were available as well as those with newer cars who would like to have an extra measure of protection beyond that provided by the parking sensors. The YouTube videos below show the switch in operation on the touchscreen:

The kit includes the PCB switch itself, mounted in a plastic case, with all components to make it operational, including a
wireless remote control that can synced with HomeLink, so switching from rear to front view can be done with via the touch screen. The kit also includes an OBD2 connector that offers a simple way to provide the necessary 12v power and ground connections to the switch.

The photos show several image of PCB switch case, including one of the connections before mounting behind the dash.

_DSC4898.JPG

DSC_5069.jpg

Installation of a fully operational Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch requires that buyers also purchase separately the following:

> Tesla
rear camera, part #1006773-00-E. The camera can be ordered from any Tesla Service Center. The cost is about $450.

> Cables to connect the front and rear cameras to the PCB switch and the PCB switch to the touchscreen. The cables can be purchased from any Tesla Service Center. The Tesla rear camera is about $450 and the cables about $60.

The camera switch PCB case is mounted in the space behind the driver's side dashboard, which is accessible by removing the small triangular flap on the left end of the dash.

The switch is plug-and play and full installation instructions with photographs are be provided with each kit. Installation will be fairly easy for experienced DYI types and very easy for any aftermarket installation shop.

The cost of Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch kit price is $350. This price is based on an initial production run of 100 kits.

If you are seriously interested in the camera switch and would buy it if was offered again kit please indicate by posting on this thread.

Attachments

• _DSC4895.JPG
    _DSC4895.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this mod. I use my front camera frequently--several times today, in fact! When pulling up to a snow bank I can see exactly how close I'm getting, and never crunch into the snow (or brick wall, concrete parking barrier, etc.). The rubber strip just below the lower grill sticks further out than any other part of the car, and my camera has a bird's eye view of that spot, so I can park to a fraction of an inch away without worry.

Here is how my camera looks, mounted to the front lower grill:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72651.jpg

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this mod. I use my front camera frequently--several times today, in fact! When pulling up to a snow bank I can see exactly how close I'm getting, and never crunch into the snow (or brick wall, concrete parking barrier, etc.). The rubber strip just below the lower grill sticks further out than any other part of the car, and my camera has a bird's eye view of that spot, so I can park to a fraction of an inch away without worry.

Cool, plate covering yours. I like that.

I'm interested if someone has one they haven't installed.

That's a cool install. Looks like HAL 9000.

The front camera mod is the best thing ever. So glad I didn't let the expense deter me from going for it.

Looks like there's not enough interest for another production run.

Have you thought about just selling the pcb design files and bill of material so that electronic savvy folks could just build their own? Electronics is a hobby of mine; I've had PCB boards made by oshpark.com, it's only about $5/square inch. Or if you didn't want to let the design files out of your control, you could just have the PCBs made yourself and sell them unpopulated.