TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Determining Options From VIN?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quantum`, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

I wish there was a way to determine which options a given car has (or doesn't have) from the VIN. (I'm looking at a used car remotely)

I suspicion that this is information that only Tesla would have.

Did a search here and the first 5 pages of threads had nothing.

2. pgh70D

pgh70D Member

3. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Nah, I've got all that, but thanks. There's also this.

I mean options like the Premium Lighting Package, leather seats, and so on, for a particular VIN. Options purchased for a particular vehicle that aren't reflected in the VIN.

4. BertL

BertL Active Member

...and FWIW, I couldn't determine 100% of the options from just the VIN on the vehicles I've owned from Lexus, BMW, MBZ or now Tesla ...some options, yes, but ALL, no. Decoding the VIN is a great starting point, but won't be conclusive if you're looking for complete accuracy of options (especially those that can be installed beyond the factory, e.g. dual charges, optional consoles, etc on a MS).

Good luck in your pursuit!

5. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

#5 Quantum`, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    I know. When I said 'determine from the VIN' I meant enter the VIN somewhere and get the build, not decoding the VIN.

That's why I say that likely only Tesla has that info. I just wish there was a way to access it.