TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Determining Pack A or B in Model S without sticker

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Pipcecil, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Pipcecil

Pipcecil Member

In January I got my CPO 2013 Model S. I recently found out about the A/B batteries and the limited SC charging rate on the older A batteries. With the helpful info I went underneath the car to check the battery stick only to find out it was gone. I had been there, but probably had been worn off from use.

Is there any other way to determine if I have an A battery or B battery? I want to know for time planning since the A battery will take longer to supercharge.

2. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

What is the 7th digit of your VIN?

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Two ideas:
    • Call Tesla and ask.
    • Go to a Supercharger with a low level of charge and see how many kWs it charges at.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Many batteries were swapped in earlier cars. Some got 'B' Batteries with the swap from A batteries. So the VIN is not a reliable determinate, only what it was delivered with.

5. Pipcecil

Pipcecil Member

7th digit is "D". But being a CPO as Lloyd iterated, the battery may have been swapped or replaced previously. That said, the delivery date was Aug 2013 if I remember seeing in some reports on it, so likely it shipped with a B battery, but really, I guess the only way to determine is to charge it at a low SoC or ask Tesla.

BTW how low does the SoC need to be before the supercharger can go at full capacity?

6. Zextraterrestrial

I don't think there were any A batteries left by then. I thought the switch was Aprilish '13
    Sc would be the easiest but I expect you shouldn't have an 'A'

7. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I would be shocked to find a car built with a D pack replaced with a refurbished A pack. Have you ever gotten more than 90 kW while supercharging? (even if just for a few seconds?) If yes, then you don't have an A pack.

8. Pipcecil

Pipcecil Member

Never supercharged actually. I have a couple of roadtrips planned in the next few months, but I doubt any of those will push the car to a low enough SoC to trigger the 120 kW

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Roadtripping in the Model S (and by extension the Model X) is the best!! you will get hooked!!