TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Determining the 3G/LTE Modem phone number

Discussion in 'Model S' started by XLR8OR, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

Cell coverage at my house is spotty, so I have installed an AT&T Microcell for our phones and visitors. To grant access to it for my soon-to-be-delivered Tesla I need the car's tel number. Does anyone know how to determine this? Or, does it matter? I have great wi-fi in the garage, so that's not an issue; can all the updates come via wi-fi if the car's cell is offline?

Thanks...

2. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I don't know about the phone number, but yes you can Bluetooth to your home wifi to receive updates and the car will encourage you to set it up.

• Funny x 1
  3. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I have similar cell coverage issues at my house and I also have an AT&T Microcell installed but my Tesla is not connected to it. It uses the wifi perfectly and that's how I get my updates when it's parked in the garage. I think you will be fine without adding it to your Microcell if you have a good wifi signal in the car. Good luck!

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

There's a SIM card on the radio inside the console computer.

What if you put that in your phone, and turned it on? Would it link up enough to display a phone number?

5. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

If the SIM card is removable that is a brilliant solution. And once I know the number, I wonder what would happen if I called the car? :)

I'll know soon enough; my car went into production today

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

Right, so all you have to do is pry off the 17" and take a peak. Please take pictures

• Funny x 5
  7. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

I can't say i'm eager to pry off the monitor; I think I'll let the SC folks figure this out for me.

• Like x 1
  8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

There is no benefit if you have wi-fi. I wouldn't worry about tit.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

cool, thanks.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You're confusing Bluetooth with Wi-Fi. They're different, and Bluetooth (at least in the car) has nothing to do with network connectivity, either over Wi-Fi or 3G/LTE.

I'm not sure what your expectations of the Tesla Service Centers are, but I can assure you that they would never tear down the dash and remove/reinstall the touchscreen/MCU just so you can access the SIM card to retrieve the phone number.

Especially when wi-fi is all you need.

• Like x 1
  11. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

I thought the cell radio was in electronics pod up behind the mirror.

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

• Like x 1
  13. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

By "letting the SC figure this out..." I didn't mean disassembling anything, only that if they could determine the tel number some other way. If not, no problem.

• Like x 1
  14. travwill

travwill Active Member

Just connect to wifi, end of story. Extend your wifi if needed, and/or have it connect to a broader range 2.4ghz signal if needed, etc.

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It's not.