Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Determining the 3G/LTE Modem phone number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cell coverage at my house is spotty, so I have installed an AT&T Microcell for our phones and visitors. To grant access to it for my soon-to-be-delivered Tesla I need the car's tel number. Does anyone know how to determine this? Or, does it matter? I have great wi-fi in the garage, so that's not an issue; can all the updates come via wi-fi if the car's cell is offline?

Thanks...

Cell coverage at my house is spotty, so I have installed an AT&T Microcell for our phones and visitors. To grant access to it for my soon-to-be-delivered Tesla I need the car's tel number. Does anyone know how to determine this? Or, does it matter? I have great wi-fi in the garage, so that's not an issue; can all the updates come via wi-fi if the car's cell is offline?

Thanks...

I have similar cell coverage issues at my house and I also have an AT&T Microcell installed but my Tesla is not connected to it. It uses the wifi perfectly and that's how I get my updates when it's parked in the garage. I think you will be fine without adding it to your Microcell if you have a good wifi signal in the car. Good luck!

I don't know about the phone number, but yes you can Bluetooth to your home wifi to receive updates and the car will encourage you to set it up.

You're confusing Bluetooth with Wi-Fi. They're different, and Bluetooth (at least in the car) has nothing to do with network connectivity, either over Wi-Fi or 3G/LTE.

I can't say i'm eager to pry off the monitor; I think I'll let the SC folks figure this out for me.

I'm not sure what your expectations of the Tesla Service Centers are, but I can assure you that they would never tear down the dash and remove/reinstall the touchscreen/MCU just so you can access the SIM card to retrieve the phone number.

Especially when wi-fi is all you need.

Reactions: Tree95