Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detroit to Boston in Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting my journey with my wife and son to Boston from the Detroit area, we've never done a trip further than Toledo and back with our EV but I'm really looking forward to the adventure and curious as to how accurate ABRP will be. I have stops planned in Sheffield, OH, Erie, PA, Cheektowaga, NY, Syracuse, NY, Guilderland, NY, and finally Charlton, MA before our hotel in Marlborough, MA. Our son is playing in a hockey tournament but we are also going to go down to Fenway on Saturday, and do some on the fly exploring. I'll be posting updates as to how the trip is progressing, reviews of the charger locations, and any add some photos across New England from a Midwesterner!

Leg one starts tonight, planning on leaving Rochester, MI by 9PM and driving to Cheektowaga, catch a hotel for a few hours of sleep and then planning to get into Marlborough by 6 PM on Thursday May 26 we shall see how it all goes, wish us luck!

Any Boston area tips, tricks, must do, or must eat I'm all ears!

Attachments

• Tesla Model Y 1.jpg
    Tesla Model Y 1.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 111
Good luck on your trip. You will be an expert by the time it’s over, the car navigation is your friend 😂 when charging pay attention to your arrival state of charge estimate, the lower you arrive the faster you will charge. With the family you probably want some buffer, but from my experience Tesla nav is very conservative and seems to have you arrive with 25-30ish percent. I like to shoot for 10-15% but you will find your comfort level. Occasionally I found it useful to end navigation and restart to have it recalculate. I’m not sure, but it seems to be more accurate and possibly use more recent data from the drive to achieve this. YMMV 👍 Use common sense, ask questions and be safe.

It has been a while since I lived around there so I’m sure things have changed, but legal sea food is a pretty solid local chain.

"Trust Tesla navigation and supercharging recs, you will be fine. Don't try to be over smart" - words of wisdom from a Tesla veteran I met at a supercharger a year ago on my first 3500 mile road trip. Since then I have done three more 3500 mile road trips and 30,000 miles and 12 months later in my MY LR 7 seater, I am thankful for that tip.

Walk the Freedom Trail, visit the USS Constitution and compare the cannoli from Modern and Mike's so you can enter the unending debate over which is better. Have at least one meal in the North End. Visit the Common and the Public Garden. (BTW, walk around the city and use the T as necessary-- lots of places are a 20 minute drive apart but a 5 minute walk. Parking is wicked expensive-- don't be surprised by a $30-40 charge downtown.) The duck boat ride is fun (once). The MFA and Isabella Stuart Gardiner museums are wonderful if that's your thing. If you can swing it, get tickets for a game at Fenway. (Be prepared for a couple hundred bucks for a good seat.) Mostly, get out and walk around the city. It's one of the nicest in the world.

Drive with assertive confidence lest you get rear-ended. Don't be shocked when people turn left in front of you at a stop light, it's pretty normal here.

Safe travels and def just rely on tesla navigation. People tend to overcomplicate things with ABRP and detailed stops, just drive and enjoy. Such an awesome feeling pulling into an empty SC station. Love it better when there are other teslas spaced out one stall apart just for company/safety.

Reactions: gmetcalf18
ABRP I find is a great tool for planning. It’s actually very accurate, especially if you have premium subscription and it can read real time. What I like about ABRP for planning is that with the premium subscription, it will factor in weather forecast for the planned trip, giving me a better idea of what to expect. I used ABRP and the car nav side by side on a trip to Atlanta in Feb from Houston. It was unusually poor winter weather (for the south) with rain and 40* weather all the way there. ABRP was better at initial prediction vs the car’s nav. But once on the way, the car eventually “caught up” to the estimations.

Walk the Freedom Trail, visit the USS Constitution and compare the cannoli from Modern and Mike's so you can enter the unending debate over which is better. Have at least one meal in the North End. Visit the Common and the Public Garden. (BTW, walk around the city and use the T as necessary-- lots of places are a 20 minute drive apart but a 5 minute walk. Parking is wicked expensive-- don't be surprised by a $30-40 charge downtown.) The duck boat ride is fun (once). The MFA and Isabella Stuart Gardiner museums are wonderful if that's your thing. If you can swing it, get tickets for a game at Fenway. (Be prepared for a couple hundred bucks for a good seat.) Mostly, get out and walk around the city. It's one of the nicest in the world.

Drive with assertive confidence lest you get rear-ended. Don't be shocked when people turn left in front of you at a stop light, it's pretty normal here.
I would vote for Mike's cannoli. Loved Al Dente in the North End, but I'm sure they are all great. If staying in town, the trolleys were a good way to see the city and go from place to place. Most famous is the Duck Trolley, but there are a few others that run. Making me want to go back now!

Use SpotHero to find parking in the city - usually gives you some good rates, especially on the weekend. You're going to pay $$ to park near Fenway however. Definitely hit the North End - anywhere there will be good. If you looking for something decent near the rink, Teds Montana Grill in Westborough is about 10-15 min south of there.

Detroit to Boston was a total success! Sitting in our hotel in Buffalo currently on our way home, but wanted to update everyone as a new ev road tripper how pain free this was. I generally go between 75-90 depending on speed limit and flow of traffic, I’ve seen miserable efficiency numbers over 70 and I warned my wife we might be taking it easy on this trip. WRONG. I read advice on a different thread to come in screaming at 10% or less if possible and charge enough to get to your next charger stop as low as possible safely obviously. Totally accurate, I was building in a buffer of 20% to get from one to the next and it was unnecessary. My wife and son honestly enjoyed stopping to charge, we brought baseball mitts, a football, and a frisbee keeping him entertained and actually ended up charging more than needed because he was enjoying the fresh air between legs. Most of the chargers we used were at malls, did a little shopping, met some awesome Tesla owners (and one dumb one) and ate up while feeling as we wasted little to no time waiting on the car to charge. Efficiently was hovering between 300-370 going over 70 but with the robustness of the charging net work in New York and Massachusetts I had zero worries on my way and saved a ton of cash over taking our 14mpg LX 570. ABRP is unnecessary in my opinion, I paid for premium but now that I’m out of town it’s not allowing me to click on super chargers stations to see stats on my mobile, and the Tesla navigation in my opinion is superior assuming you can understand the numbers you’re looking at and have a good idea of how your driving affects your estimates and when you want to leave the chargers to make it to the next one. Encountered my first possible wait at a charger but the navigation rerouted me to avoid a wait and we were on our way with zero delay. If you’re hesitating about taking a road trip in your Tesla knock it off! Pack your bags, set the navigation and get after it!

Attachments

• 2D23E3A2-CA44-4197-B868-4D4FA7B22C87.jpeg
    2D23E3A2-CA44-4197-B868-4D4FA7B22C87.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 62
  • CE7FA5DF-8D68-4271-8C9E-C9DA654E7754.jpeg
    CE7FA5DF-8D68-4271-8C9E-C9DA654E7754.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 9E0324BF-1CB4-48C9-99D1-C2C705F34E62.jpeg
    9E0324BF-1CB4-48C9-99D1-C2C705F34E62.jpeg
    902.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2CAD5FB5-F6BB-4032-A7C4-FA618CC48487.jpeg
    2CAD5FB5-F6BB-4032-A7C4-FA618CC48487.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1CEE26BE-968A-4F50-908B-1D1668E27EE5.jpeg
    1CEE26BE-968A-4F50-908B-1D1668E27EE5.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 53
  • E52AF239-411E-4481-AB7C-08DC4D8039FE.jpeg
    E52AF239-411E-4481-AB7C-08DC4D8039FE.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 46
  • D1603F1D-475D-47DC-84F4-1D385EAB64D4.jpeg
    D1603F1D-475D-47DC-84F4-1D385EAB64D4.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 48
  • F7E0D90D-1C6C-4983-9560-92F4D1D02548.jpeg
    F7E0D90D-1C6C-4983-9560-92F4D1D02548.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 61
Forgot the most important part, 4 of the kids I coach for fall and winter hockey made a select team for the summer. Two of them play ball also, my little guy brought his mitt didn’t catch any balls but made a ton of memories. Awesome experience for these 8-9 year olds but I think I had a better time watching them enjoy it if I’m being honest!

Attachments

• F46A30CA-1586-4D3C-A8E1-F60CAB5C3174.jpeg
    F46A30CA-1586-4D3C-A8E1-F60CAB5C3174.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 51
Congratulations on your successful trip. My wife's family is in Michigan (KZ area), so I do most of that trip a couple of times each year.
Guilderland near Albany, NY is a nice stop. Big shopping mall with 20 chargers .vs. the 6 at the other Albany SC. Both are 150 kWh (V2) so better chance of not having to share. As you approach, you can tap the SC on the Nav system and see how busy it is (currently), which is a nice feature.

As you may do that trip again, I tend to avoid NY as the NY thurway (I-90) tolls add roughly $16 and the SC rates are a bit higher (20%). Plus there are a LOT of electronic overhead toll readers. I haven't heard about them ticketing anyone for speeding, but it'd be a very easy "revenue feature" for them to enact at any point.
Instead I go through PA on I-80 to I-84. SC rates are roughly $0.28/kWh in PA .vs. $0.35/kWh in NY and it's less crowded. In the winter, check the weather. The NY route can get snow & ice from Buffalo to Utica (due to 2 of the great lakes, warmer water, cooler land). Ice skating in hockey is fun. Skating in your car on the highway, not as much. The PA route can also get a LOT of snow. BUT (there's always at least one "but"), during the summer, I-80 tend to have delays due to ongoing construction. The Nav system has routed me around some of the backups on occasion, so I've learned to trust it. I agree that it tends to be a bit conservative with it's estimates so I also shoot for 10% arrival at the SC. There are new SCs popping up. The Charlton SC on on the Mass Pike (I-90) is new and V3 (250 kWh, not shared) which is really nice. There is also a new one on the Oho Pike at Genoa, that I'll be trying in the near future.

FSD is really nice on the miles and miles of limited access highways for a trip like this. BUT (yes there is at least one "but"), while traveling in the right hand lane, pay attention to cars entering (and sometimes exiting). If you turn on the turn signal to move to the left (and if it is safe) the car will move you over and you'll avoid the dreaded braking when it registers the car in front of it doing a slower speed.

Reactions: Anser