TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Detroit to Toronto anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by MichFin, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MichFin

MichFin Member

I'm heading out to Toronto from the metro Detroit Area and had a question

Based on EV Trip planner it looks like I won't have any trouble going from Novi, Mi to the Woodstock supercharger. 2 hours and 23 minutes. Using 60.7 KWH

woodstock.JPG

It would take about 15 minutes longer to stop at the Comber supercharger plus the time charging.

comber.JPG

Is taking the first route too aggressive? What do you guys think?

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I do that trip (well, that leg on my way to Chicago) a bit. Go via the 401 through Windsor. You have both Comber and Woodstock Superchargers if you need them. I think it's pretty close to the same mileage anyway.

3. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

I agree ... Go through Windsor to Comber and onward.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I would (and have) opted for the Port Huron crossing. Faster speeds on 94 compared to 401, and a faster crossing on the Blue Water Bridge. You'll have plenty of energy to make it to the Woodstock SC.

Coming back is a different story. You have to consider taper at the superchargers and it is probably faster to ride the bottom of the pack and do an additional charge in Comber to let you make it home.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Going to Chicago for years in our ICE we always crossed at Port Huron. When I got the Model S, I had to stay on the Supercharger route and cross at Detroit. To be honest, I have found the Detroit crossing faster than Port Huron much to my surprise.

6. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

That is surprising. Did you take the bridge or tunnel?

I'll be headed there in a week and a half and will take the Detroit crossing to begin with since it would be too time consuming to fully charge in Woodstock. The way back will likely be 94/402, though. Wouldn't be surprised if everything comes out in the wash from a time perspective. Really depends on immigration/customs at the particular time one hits it.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Bridge. The first time was a Saturday morning and I drove straight up to the booth (going in to the US). No one in front of me. The thing that took me the longest time was talking to the agent about the Tesla and waiting while he called one of his co-workers over from another booth to check out the car!

8. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

The only route for trucks to cross is the bridge, so during the weekdays it is a parking lot. I suggest the tunnel unless it's a weekend or holiday.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Can't remember. Is there a special truck lane / NEXUS lane at Detroit? I believe there is at Port Huron and it does help get the trucks out of the way.

10. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

The bridge has a NEXUS lane -- I can't remember if the tunnel does.

11. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

Yes, the tunnel does as well.