Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detroit to Toronto anything to worry about?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading out to Toronto from the metro Detroit Area and had a question

Based on EV Trip planner it looks like I won't have any trouble going from Novi, Mi to the Woodstock supercharger. 2 hours and 23 minutes. Using 60.7 KWH

woodstock.JPG

It would take about 15 minutes longer to stop at the Comber supercharger plus the time charging.

comber.JPG

Is taking the first route too aggressive? What do you guys think?

I would (and have) opted for the Port Huron crossing. Faster speeds on 94 compared to 401, and a faster crossing on the Blue Water Bridge. You'll have plenty of energy to make it to the Woodstock SC.

Coming back is a different story. You have to consider taper at the superchargers and it is probably faster to ride the bottom of the pack and do an additional charge in Comber to let you make it home.

I would (and have) opted for the Port Huron crossing. Faster speeds on 94 compared to 401, and a faster crossing on the Blue Water Bridge. You'll have plenty of energy to make it to the Woodstock SC.

Going to Chicago for years in our ICE we always crossed at Port Huron. When I got the Model S, I had to stay on the Supercharger route and cross at Detroit. To be honest, I have found the Detroit crossing faster than Port Huron much to my surprise.

Going to Chicago for years in our ICE we always crossed at Port Huron. When I got the Model S, I had to stay on the Supercharger route and cross at Detroit. To be honest, I have found the Detroit crossing faster than Port Huron much to my surprise.

That is surprising. Did you take the bridge or tunnel?

I'll be headed there in a week and a half and will take the Detroit crossing to begin with since it would be too time consuming to fully charge in Woodstock. The way back will likely be 94/402, though. Wouldn't be surprised if everything comes out in the wash from a time perspective. Really depends on immigration/customs at the particular time one hits it.

That is surprising. Did you take the bridge or tunnel?

Bridge. The first time was a Saturday morning and I drove straight up to the booth (going in to the US). No one in front of me. The thing that took me the longest time was talking to the agent about the Tesla and waiting while he called one of his co-workers over from another booth to check out the car!