Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Device to tell Drone from milling, clunk from thunk, ballon squeal from brake squeal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woof

Fluffy Member
Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2009
Wouldn't it be neat if the Model S could listen to itself and determine if that odd noise is something to worry about, and notify the driver and Tesla something's not right?

From the "why wasn't this thought of earlier" dept., Wired brings us the story of a new device that can do just that:
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/augury-lets-machines-hear-when-theyre-about-to-break-down/

It'd be really neat if Tesla does something like this in the near future. Then there'd be no reason to have the service tech drive the car to listen and decide if engineering should hear it or not. The car should record and check for odd sounds like any other monitored parameter in the car. Flagged recordings automatically uploaded to Tesla for further diagnosis.

The idea is not something new. There have been DSP modules for several years on the market that perform a Fourier analysis on the current noise/vibration signals to detect new vibrations/variations on the normal pattern. For eg. detection of bearing failure

I read about all these sounds. But I have no idea what they sound like. So I don't know if I have any of them! So far the car seems to sound just fine. I get a very slight whine when I hammer it. But that's pretty rare. I have seen a couple videos about the milling sound. But I couldn't hear anything odd.

So...either I am lucky or the car is going to explode at any minute and I don't know it!

I read about all these sounds. But I have no idea what they sound like. So I don't know if I have any of them! So far the car seems to sound just fine. I get a very slight whine when I hammer it. But that's pretty rare. I have seen a couple videos about the milling sound. But I couldn't hear anything odd.

So...either I am lucky or the car is going to explode at any minute and I don't know it!

You would definitely know it if you had either the drone or the milling sound. Having had both (more than once), they are very obvious and annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a deaf guy like me going to do? This is giving me buyers remorse as I haven't picked up my car yet!

Chances are your car being a newer generation drive unit won't have any of these issues anymore anyway, so just enjoy the car. :)