Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devils advocating...from someone who shorted TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, sure. That's why I have friends of mine calling me from all over asking if I would reserve one for them since I own two Model S' and presumably would have a higher priority on the waitlist. That's why I just saw hundreds of people -- no exaggeration -- lining up on their lunch break in Dublin (that's Dublin, CA) to reserve a car they have never seen before. You're right, the Model 3 is just like any other car. :rolleyes:

There will ne no IPhone moment.

I'd say the thousands of people lining up around the world at Tesla stores to put down $1,000 US to reserve a car they've never seen is the iPhone moment. This is unprecedented in automotive history, and you think because TSLA has recovered some unwarranted losses from earlier in the year it's a good time to short? Unreal, once again.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
The revolution is already here. That is the Model S. It is the first usable electric car. Including supercharging.

Still no real "Disruption". Still many ICEs around.

Couldn't agree more! I always try to explain how Apple is a failure! You can tell by how many PC's still exist, and non-Apple phones. I have one in my pocket! Apple failed, which is why their stock never went anywhere. Great minds think alike man.

Realist, you've made bad bets regarding Tesla before; maybe it's a stock you shouldn't be involved with either way? This isn't financial advice, but I generally think it makes sense for people to stay out of areas they don't understand.

You actually sold your model S and now drive a gasmobile instead? You're not normal. The vast majority of people who have tried a pure electric car prefer to drive electric cars rather than shaky, stinky, gasmobiles; I didn't assume this based on my experience, I figured this out by examining lots and lots of reviews. If you're generalizing from your personal experience regarding a situation where you're a weirdo, you're going to make really terrible bets (I learned that early).

Expectations are too high and the valuation is just massively overblown.

The Q2 number is not really important. The outlook is more relevant and there I see clear evidence that Tesla will not be able to sell close to 5000 cars a quarter.
Right now Tesla is selling cars at a pretty insane pace which is unlikely to be sustainable since the Model S is a very high priced car. In countries without TAX incentive the demand is close to zero. In Germany the current reservation number is still in the 3 single digits. I don’t believe the demand for the Model S will be higher than a 100 cars a month. In the Netherlands Tax incentives will run out by the end of this year, therefore demand will collapse in 2014. Apart from Norway, which is not in the EU, no other European country is planning a serious tax incentive on EV cars.

If you take a look at the time between ordering and delivery it has come down to 2-4 weeks. That tells me that Tesla is already not producing at maximum capacity and that demand in the US has already peaked. That is not really surprising since the Model S is very expensive (even with the Tax rebate) and it only applies to a limited audience as it’s range is very limited.

Tesla will have a hard time to make money at all within the next 24 months or even in the distant future. New stock and debt offerings are a safe bet.
Why not have a quick look at what Realist said beginning this thread back in 2013. He still hasn't a clue. No disruption obviously does not include the Model S outselling S-Class, 7 series and A8 in most major worldwide markets. Why does he continue pushing on a losing litany year after year?

Reactions: BornToFly
Why not have a quick look at what Realist said beginning this thread back in 2013. He still hasn't a clue. No disruption obviously does not include the Model S outselling S-Class, 7 series and A8 in most major worldwide markets. Why does he continue pushing on a losing litany year after year?
Maybe he is operating under the broken clock principle? Though currently he is doing worse than a broken clock...

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
It has absolutely nothing to do with that. Electric cars are simply better to drive. I don't have to screw around with pumping gas; the car is fully charged every morning. The heat turns on immediately, no waiting for the engine to warm up. I can turn the car radio on with the car in the garage without any worries. Throttle response is instant, not delayed by fuel injection. The car slows down when I take my foot off the accelerator rather than disturbingly moving forward on its own. It doesn't shake, making it much more comfortable and having a smoother ride.

It's just superior. Most people recognize this. Obviously not everyone is willing to *pay extra* for it, but at the same price point, nearly everyone who's tried both recognizes that electric is superior.

If you don't recognize this, you're going to make awful financial bets and lose your shirt.

(Of course, I could be unfair; perhaps you replaced your model S with a different company's electric car.)

I doubled my position at 234 this morning. Bit early :-D

No intention to set up a stop loss so far.

Keep doubling down. I'm sure you'll see the 100's soon.

Just remember there's some truth to the old saying "the market can stay rational longer than you can stay solvent".

Last edited:
Does anyone here think that Realist is just yanking our chain (like has always been the case)? I mean the statements he/she makes about the inferiority of the Model S and electric cars are just inane and baiting. My opinion/strong suspicion is that he hasn't shorted anything and is just trolling and in need of attention, and every time one of us responds to the inanities, it makes him feel important. Pics of trade confirmations and maybe I'll believe that he actually shorted the stock again and "doubled down" on it again.

No one could seriously or rationally say that 200k people reserving a car, 3/4 of them sight unseen standing in line for hours in many cases, within 24 hours is not a sea change event in the automotive industry. Yet that's what Realist tells us, that we should ignore our own eyes and senses and so should millions of other people.

Last edited:
An alternative idea @SFOTurtle, is that we should be grateful for all the folks who have already sold TSLA (32M shares last I knew), as the market has a preprogrammed buy of 32M shares built into it. Listed to what they say, decide for yourself if what they're saying is connected to reality and persuasive, and don't worry about whether you can persuade them of a different point of view.

Of course they can be right, but it's all beliefs and probabilities, and I know a) that I want to be in on this trade and b) which side of this trade I want to be in on. I don't want to be on the side of this trade that says that 200k people throwing down $1000 each to buy a car in 2-4 years isn't any particular big deal :)

There are plenty of execution issues that could plague Tesla coming up. Besides inadequate service distribution and capacity, I'm now worried today that increasing production too slowly may be a serious problem (people are excited today, but creating a long enough waiting line will sour some subset of people and overall detract from the experience).

There IS such a thing as too big of a waiting list. I'm hoping all the incoming reservations cash plus proven demand the waiting list represents, enables Tesla to kick capacity expansion to a higher level. Today, I think that 50% YoY growth in units is too slow, and a bigger/faster plan is needed (while acknowledging this is much more than a money problem - faster than 50% YoY may not be achievable for the system).

Reactions: StapleGun
I'm definitely not trying to persuade Realist of anything. I just think he enjoys baiting the forum with negative comments about the product itself and seeing people respond to his comments. Makes him feel relevant. My point was that his comments are so ridiculous, so intended to get under people's skin, that I'm skeptical of anything he says, including that he ever owned a Model S and that he is in fact shorting TSLA now. Pictures or it didn't happen (or isn't happening).