Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DFW Model S Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For DFW folks, when did you add the Tesla to your insurance prior to delivery? I'm wondering if it will delay delivery if I add closer to delivery since my auto insurance only offers 7 day grace period to replace a vehicle
How are some of you guys getting your S so quickly? I ordered back in early May (silver, 21" wheels, walnut interior) and right now delivery is January 20th - Feb 17th, every week there is a new delivery window. I haven't paid for it nor have I purchased insurance on it. I plan on taking a little bit of a loan and paying cash. My insurance company, Chubb, wouldn't even give me a quote on insurance price until there was a VIN#, which is still not in the system.

How are some of you guys getting your S so quickly? I ordered back in early May (silver, 21" wheels, walnut interior) and right now delivery is January 20th - Feb 17th, every week there is a new delivery window. I haven't paid for it nor have I purchased insurance on it. I plan on taking a little bit of a loan and paying cash. My insurance company, Chubb, wouldn't even give me a quote on insurance price until there was a VIN#, which is still not in the system.
Getting a VIN is luck of the draw. I ordered Jan 28 and didn’t get a VIN until Nov 10. It is important to have your account complete though with registration info, etc.

For DFW folks, when did you add the Tesla to your insurance prior to delivery? I'm wondering if it will delay delivery if I add closer to delivery since my auto insurance only offers 7 day grace period to replace a vehicle
I don’t think so but not positive. I called my insurance company after getting the VIN, estimated when I might actually get the car, and then told them to make the insurance effective two days before that. They said I can always adjust the effective date before it’s due to take effect. In my case however, I’m not replacing a vehicle until after I get the MS, so YMMV.

I added the VIN to my Progressive insurance about 7 days before my EDD just to make sure there were zero issues with delivery. I didn't want the Tesla monkey to have any reason to divert my car to another customer at the last minute because of anything that could be considered incomplete. It cost me about $50 for the extra days of coverage.

For those of you who have already taken delivery in TX, were you able to pay at the time of delivery using their Plaid service (or ACH) after seeing the car? Does it go through right then and there so there are no delays? Or do I have to pay a day or two ahead of time (since TX loves Tesla purchasers so much)?

For those of you who have already taken delivery in TX, were you able to pay at the time of delivery using their Plaid service (or ACH) after seeing the car? Does it go through right then and there so there are no delays? Or do I have to pay a day or two ahead of time (since TX loves Tesla purchasers so much)?
I financed through a credit union and they sent the check directly to Tesla about 5 days before I received the car. In Texas I don't know if we can pay at the time of delivery. My understanding is we have to pre-pay for the car.