TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DFW P85+ Owners...how's the ride quality?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by cab, Nov 6, 2015.

1. cab

cab Member

So I am still considering picking up a pre-owned Model S and am considering either a P85 or P85+. I have driven a P85 and a P85D, but not the P85+. I've had a few BMW sports sedans in the past, including my old '02 M5. The M5 had a great ride/handling balance, but a lot of cars with sportier suspensions just err on the side of being too harsh in a daily driver. Harshness can be reflected in impact harshness, a jostling ride, and noise. One of the factors folks sometimes leave out of their comparisons is the roads THEY drive on. In short, how do you P85+ owners find the ride and handling here in the DFW? Is the improvement in handling "worth it" in terms of any ride quality penalty?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Did you notice a difference between the P85 and P85D? If not, you won't notice any difference between them and the P85+. The larger tires in the rear might actually make the ride better (no first hand experience). In terms of performance the ranking is P85 P85+ P85D.

3. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I've had my P85+ for 2 years and never regretted going with the plus. A friend of mine has a Cadillac CTS that we take for lunch runs a couple times a week and ride quality of the P85+ is every bit as good as the Caddy. There's no reason to hesitate on a plus in DFW.

4. JMG

JMG Member

I've driven a P85+ loaner. I would say whats more important to the ride is the size of the tires vs what specific model. 21s will ride rougher without a doubt. I'm glad I went with the 19s

5. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Just do it. If you decide you don't like the 21", it is minimal cost in the grand scheme to change to 19".

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

You'll love the P85+! I love mine. And my other car (the "winter beater") is a '02 M5.

I've had the LeMans Blue M5 since 2006, and the P85+ is a worthy and enjoyable upgrade. I still love driving my M5 from time to time. The Model S is noticeably a "bigger" car, but it handles much like the sport sedan you'd expect. It's not mushy nor too harsh. I have the 21" rims with Hankook tires for summer (yes, even in the Northeast) and they are also great. In the winter, I put on 19" rims with Hankook all-season tires (not snow tires) for cold-weather (not snow) driving. That's relegated to the M5 with proper Blizzak winter tires. Overall, it's a great combination of cars. I'm happy. :)

7. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

FWIW, the P85+ is quite a bit louder than the P85 with 21s, mainly due to the Contisilent tires on the P85. I find it annoying when I get a P85+ loaner and I'm always happy to have my car back. My driving is mainly on 635, 114, 121, 183, GBT STR and sometimes DNT.

Make sure you check out the DFW area Facebook and Google groups for local activities...

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

That's mainly due to the stock Michelin PS2s on the P85+. The Hankooks I put on are much quieter than the PS2s.

I also "un-staggered" my P85+ with 8.5" rims all around so I could put on 245s on the rears so I could buy less expensive tires and now I'm able to rotate them front-to-back. I was unable to tell the difference between the 8.5" rims and 245s and 9" rims and 265s in the rear. It's a difference of about 3/4" of an inch.

9. cab

cab Member

#9 cab, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Hank - what happens to your handling when you put Your 19s on in Winter?

It appears the primary downside of the + here in the DFW area is much as it was when I posted in the general forum...it all comes back to the tires moreso than any additional firmness in the suspension itself. The staggered size can also be a challenge (mostly cost-wise due to the otherwise limited selection in ththe oddball size Tesla chose).

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I definitely notice a difference -- it is a somewhat softer ride (as expected), but most of the + handling is still there. I just can't take corners as fast because of the larger sidewalls on the 19" tires. But it's not a soft as a P85 or S85 with 19" rims.

11. cab

cab Member

Thanks!

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I switch to 19's also for the winter. You notice the handling most in the rear end. It is not as firm and wants to sway into an understeer. I do not drive as agressively with the 19's. I like them for winter, but will always switch back to 21's for summer driving.