Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DFW Solar Tour, Saturday, October 4, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question to those in the DFW area with solar...we're hopefully going to break ground on a new build in the March/April timeframe; is the preferred option always to put the panels on the roof, or is ground-mounting an option/preferred? It's a big enough lot to go for either option, I could easily carve off the end of the back yard and dedicate to solar, plus it's less to mow and water! I'd also take recommendations on installers; it's early days, but so far the couple of architects I've spoken to are relatively clueless about solar.

Pete

General question to those in the DFW area with solar...we're hopefully going to break ground on a new build in the March/April timeframe; is the preferred option always to put the panels on the roof, or is ground-mounting an option/preferred? It's a big enough lot to go for either option, I could easily carve off the end of the back yard and dedicate to solar, plus it's less to mow and water! I'd also take recommendations on installers; it's early days, but so far the couple of architects I've spoken to are relatively clueless about solar.

Pete
Hi Pete,

A lot of this will depend on what town you live in and how much south/west roof space you have, since many municipalities around here have some sort of restrictions on where you can place panels. Being able to incorporate the panels into your build is a huge advantage and will save you a lot of angst compared to a retrofit.

Personally, I like roof-mount, but ground mount can give you better efficiency since you can select the best azimuth and angle for the array. There are a few members here who would be happy to show you their roof & ground-mounted arrays.

Hi Pete,

A lot of this will depend on what town you live in and how much south/west roof space you have, since many municipalities around here have some sort of restrictions on where you can place panels. Being able to incorporate the panels into your build is a huge advantage and will save you a lot of angst compared to a retrofit.

Personally, I like roof-mount, but ground mount can give you better efficiency since you can select the best azimuth and angle for the array. There are a few members here who would be happy to show you their roof & ground-mounted arrays.

Thanks, Jay reached out with a bunch of information. I don't anticipate any (city) issues on roof mounting them, but my preference is probably for ground, mostly for cost reasons, and having one less thing to complicate the build. I could certainly have a lot of unobstructed west-facing roof, and I assume it's easier to add to an existing system on the ground, so maybe I start with the roof...still researching.

Thanks, Jay reached out with a bunch of information. I don't anticipate any (city) issues on roof mounting them, but my preference is probably for ground, mostly for cost reasons, and having one less thing to complicate the build. I could certainly have a lot of unobstructed west-facing roof, and I assume it's easier to add to an existing system on the ground, so maybe I start with the roof...still researching.

Mounting costs can equal or exceed solar panel costs these days. Every case is different, but in a new build, I would bet that roof mounting is half the price of ground mounting (no new structure). When you add to solar, it is usually a new sub-system with its own panels and inverters. I would not worry about that in your first build except to possibly leave space for more panels somewhere.

Having done a roof mount in one house (9.9 kW) and ground mount in another house (24 kW), if there is a choice, go on the roof for reduced cost and simplicity. For new construction, there are even some roof tiles that include PV mounting brackets!

Having done a roof mount in one house (9.9 kW) and ground mount in another house (24 kW), if there is a choice, go on the roof for reduced cost and simplicity. For new construction, there are even some roof tiles that include PV mounting brackets!

Right. The main reason for ground mounting is to get additional capacity after the roof is full. Also you can get a mount that turns so that the array gets maximum sunlight all day.

Hey guys, not sure which solar thread to put this in, so I'm just starting with this one. We are looking into getting solar for our house, but don't have the money upfront to buy them. I've been on here long enough to see the pros and cons off buying vs. leasing. At this point, I just want to have the energy I generate be renewable, I don't care who owns it. My wife does not want to take out a loan, so the only option is a PPA, no money down, with Solar City.

Can you guys look at their est. and tell me if the size of the system is right for the annual production? Also, they said we had to switch to a utility company called, MP2. Ever heard of them? Thanks!

Solar City Proposal.png

Solar City Proposal 2.png

Solar City Proposal 3.png

I'd be interested to hear the answers from the experts on here...I'm paying 6.3c per kWh currently, and I'm not sure I've ever paid more than 10 in the last 5 years, except when I forgot to renew once, and defaulted to the 'standard' rate, so I wonder how many real savings there are here. PPA would also be an option I'd look at, but not if there's no significant savings.

I'd be interested to hear the answers from the experts on here...I'm paying 6.3c per kWh currently, and I'm not sure I've ever paid more than 10 in the last 5 years, except when I forgot to renew once, and defaulted to the 'standard' rate, so I wonder how many real savings there are here. PPA would also be an option I'd look at, but not if there's no significant savings.

I look at it every year to see if anything has changed, however last month my electric bill was $113 without solar and with renewable energy (goes to about $150 in the summer). With current technology, solar panels could only replace about 40% of the electricity I use. I doubt there would be a way to install the maximum 40% at under $50 per month.

As mentioned above, I hoping to start buiding the new house in a couple of weeks (jsut a bit late!). It's have a mostly flat roof, so is ideal for solar, but SC will not talk to me until the house is up, and I have at least one utliity bill. Are there other firms in the DFW area that offer similar leasing plans? I'd much rather design the build with the expectation of having solar, rather than have to retofit everything.

As mentioned above, I hoping to start buiding the new house in a couple of weeks (jsut a bit late!). It's have a mostly flat roof, so is ideal for solar, but SC will not talk to me until the house is up, and I have at least one utliity bill. Are there other firms in the DFW area that offer similar leasing plans? I'd much rather design the build with the expectation of having solar, rather than have to retofit everything.

I know a great place here in DFW that is NOT Solar City. They are in the top 3 installers here, have leasing, 2.9% financing, or just buying. They have many options.

Send me an email, and I'll forward the info to you. [email protected]

And be sure your roof isn't too steep. They used that as an excuse not to do mine, and most roofs around here are far steeper than mine is.