Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DI_w063 Vehicle Shutting Down pull over safely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got audio alarm while in carpool lane of freeway. Lost all acceleration power to Model S p100d. Extremely dangerous situation pulling over many lanes to finally rest on shoulder.

Still in danger on shoulder of getting hit.

I searched this online and found a lot of Tesla drivers have been getting this malfunction and error since the last software update.

Could I please get help gathering other people's experience of this error?

I'm unhappy because:

1) Me and my family and other families were put in danger on the freeway. It was at night.
2) If this is an issue caused by a software update, Tesla SHOULD NOT have released an update causing this danger. They need to fix it asap!!

More details please:

1. What's your VIN range?
What Vin ranges can I choose from?

2. When was your car built?
I believe 2019. I'll check.

3. Mileage/in or out of warranty?
I don't know. But when I purchased the p100d, I asked to buy ANY type of exteded service warranties etc. I just emailed my dealer to ask the names of those warranties.

I'm at 24,600 miles.

4. First, second, or third owner?
They told me the car was new. It was sold "as new."
They said around 600 miles was driven on it. But no previous owner.

When vehicle was delivered, found severe fitment issues, and indications of an accident. Someone (not wanting to be recognized) let me see an internal memo, which indicated the car was brought in "for repairs" before it was delivered to me.

Many many issues including severe autopilot issues. Also windows didn't work, and there was seatbelt malfunction FROM THE FACTORY when I picked up. During some repairs, which Tesla covered, they said they forgot to plug in some wires.

I attempted to lemon out the vehicle. But Tesla WAS VERY EXPERIENCED with trying to do the least possible repairs, and locking me to that car.

5. Did you try to reboot; rest of the story?

Rebooted twice and car wouldn't function.

I was calling roadside assistance when the car turned "off." I turned it on and it could drive again.

6. Repair status?

I emailed Tesla.

I don't really want to waste my time going to the dealership just so they can say to themselves, "Look - another update issue."

I have a lot of trust issues with Tesla's service. One manager (wishes to remain anonymous) admitted that many many Teslas are sold with severe issues.

Please flesh this out for us.

Thx.

Thanks for responding. I posted answers throughout.

Thanks for the details.

Tesla has a team of virtual techs that can diagnose issues from afar. Use your app to report this fault, with specific detail on the DATE and TIME.

They'll do a deep dive into what was going on without you having to take the car anywhere.

As for the VIN "range" that's just the last 6 digits of your VIN, minus the last two or three (replaced by "x's") so that you can keep some details secret, but it'll give everyone an idea of how old or new your car is.

For an extended warranty, there is at least one third-party firm. Tesla has one that's internal too: it's called the ESA (for legal reasons) and here's the link below. For us, we just don't own Teslas that aren't under warranty or ESA coverage--we're not that brave;-)

Extended Service Agreement

Thanks for the details.

Tesla has a team of virtual techs that can diagnose issues from afar. Use your app to report this fault, with specific detail on the DATE and TIME.

They'll do a deep dive into what was going on without you having to take the car anywhere.

As for the VIN "range" that's just the last 6 digits of your VIN, minus the last two or three (replaced by "x's") so that you can keep some details secret, but it'll give everyone an idea of how old or new your car is.

For an extended warranty, there is at least one third-party firm. Tesla has one that's internal too: it's called the ESA (for legal reasons) and here's the link below. For us, we just don't own Teslas that aren't under warranty or ESA coverage--we're not that brave;-)

Extended Service Agreement

Thanks Pilot!

My vin is 312xxx

What can you tell me about my p1d?

I wanted Raven suspension, but I think I missed it by a few months.

Now I wish I could get ideas to get the highest end Roadster when it comes out

I'll update you on the type of extended I got when my dealer gets back to me. I believe it's Tesla's own.

I'll update you on the type of extended I got when my dealer gets back to me. I believe it's Tesla's own.

I don't think this should be necessary. If your car has 24K miles and it was built in 2019, it should be well within its warranty.

As an alternative to using the app to report the problem, maybe consider calling tech support (call the roadside assistance number and there should be a option in the phone tree for technical support).

Bruce.

I don't think this should be necessary. If your car has 24K miles and it was built in 2019, it should be well within its warranty.

As an alternative to using the app to report the problem, maybe consider calling tech support (call the roadside assistance number and there should be a option in the phone tree for technical support).

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce.

I read on some forums that Tesla towing takes forever to arrive, so I used AAA.

The AAA truck was unable to get the Tesla onto the truck, so a second one came.

At one point, they had to drag it sideways by hooking something in one of the rim spokes.

The Tesla is at the dealership, but they couldn't figure out how to put it in neutral. The Tesla dealership had me talk to some kind of manager (I think) in another city. He admitted that the software update messed up the car.

The Tesla is in the parking lot, but the door can't lock. At least one window couldn't shut. And another window opened so high that it got shut ABOVE AND OUTSIDE the frame of the car.

It took me a long time to get the things out of the car, because the back doors couldn't open. They had me put the key in the overnight box (or whatever it's called). And so I had to crawl inside to get the things out. Also, the seats can't move - so it was really difficult and awkward to climb around inside the car. (Because you don't normally climb around the car, but if you have to, you - at least I - need to move the seats).

I wish I could learn more. How did a software update mess up the car so bad? Some doors can't unlock, some doors can't lock. some windows can't come down, some can't go up, the trunk and frunk don't open right (or at all).

At the supercharger, a lot of curious Tesla owners came to watch it getting pulled by force to switch its direction, then finally get forced onto the truck bed.

The Tesla got damaged underneth, and the rims got scratched / badly scratched.

If anyone has links or another thread, I'd like to read it.

Thanks Pilot!

My vin is 312xxx

What can you tell me about my p1d?

I wanted Raven suspension, but I think I missed it by a few months.

Now I wish I could get ideas to get the highest end Roadster when it comes out

Alas, I don't work for Tesla, but I'm sure the "Virtual Tech's" will advise what they find and what needs to be fixed.

It could be as simple as corrosion on your 12-volt battery terminals, but I sort of doubt it. Regardless, don't put this off as it may, indeed, leave you stranded so best to get it fixed ASAP, and especially while under warranty. (FYI: And if it happens OUT of warranty, as long as you're reported it within the warranty period, and they didn't fix it correctly the first time, they're still on the hook for the repair after the warranty expires. It's when the problem presents that establishes warranty coverage, not when they fix it.)

Thanks Bruce.

I read on some forums that Tesla towing takes forever to arrive, so I used AAA.

The AAA truck was unable to get the Tesla onto the truck, so a second one came.

At one point, they had to drag it sideways by hooking something in one of the rim spokes.

The Tesla is at the dealership, but they couldn't figure out how to put it in neutral. The Tesla dealership had me talk to some kind of manager (I think) in another city. He admitted that the software update messed up the car.

The Tesla is in the parking lot, but the door can't lock. At least one window couldn't shut. And another window opened so high that it got shut ABOVE AND OUTSIDE the frame of the car.

It took me a long time to get the things out of the car, because the back doors couldn't open. They had me put the key in the overnight box (or whatever it's called). And so I had to crawl inside to get the things out. Also, the seats can't move - so it was really difficult and awkward to climb around inside the car. (Because you don't normally climb around the car, but if you have to, you - at least I - need to move the seats).

I wish I could learn more. How did a software update mess up the car so bad? Some doors can't unlock, some doors can't lock. some windows can't come down, some can't go up, the trunk and frunk don't open right (or at all).

At the supercharger, a lot of curious Tesla owners came to watch it getting pulled by force to switch its direction, then finally get forced onto the truck bed.

The Tesla got damaged underneth, and the rims got scratched / badly scratched.

If anyone has links or another thread, I'd like to read it.
* underneath

Alas, I don't work for Tesla, but I'm sure the "Virtual Tech's" will advise what they find and what needs to be fixed.

It could be as simple as corrosion on your 12-volt battery terminals, but I sort of doubt it. Regardless, don't put this off as it may, indeed, leave you stranded so best to get it fixed ASAP, and especially while under warranty. (FYI: And if it happens OUT of warranty, as long as you're reported it within the warranty period, and they didn't fix it correctly the first time, they're still on the hook for the repair after the warranty expires. It's when the problem presents that establishes warranty coverage, not when they fix it.)

Pilot,

Thanks for all the details and info about them not fixing something correct the first time.

I was connected to some service person at the Tesla dealership. He told me over the phone it was due to the software update.

However, I'll try to learn more as time progresses.

The issue - one of the issues I've had with Tesla Service, is I've experienced extreme dishonesty. So I try to learn as much as I can, but I'm not always given the answers.

There is one service person I like a lot, but he hasn't responded to my email yet.

Let me know what vids and photos I should take of my Tesla.

When I purchased my p (p100d) as "new," I found major issues with the vehicle. I rejected it, but the delivery manager promised to fix the broken parts, malfunctions, and damaged parts. (Later, an employee wanting to remain anonymous showed me an internal note that the p was sent for "repairs," which implied a crash).

About 1 day later, I found the rim had hit something before I took the delivery. In fact, dark oily substance was used to cover up the rim's damage.

The delivery manager promised to replace the damaged rim.

Then - UNBELIEVABLY - the service manager REJECTED the instructions to replace the rim. They said I couldn't prove it was already damaged!!

First, the delivery manager already promised in writing to replace it.

Second, why are they treating me like I'm a scammer / criminal?

I was really freaked out and I spent a lot of time looking at previous photos. I wish I had taken more photos and videos at the delivery location.

Luckily, I actually found a single photo TAKEN AT THE FACTORY that showed the rim's damage, even though they tried to hide it with dark oil.

The service manager treated me like a criminal and forced me to send screenshots showing the date and location metadata. I objected to this treatment, but sent it as it looked like the only way to get help.

So if ANY OF YOU have ideas on locations, angles to take photos and vids, please let me know.

I've experienced so many times where the service dept INTENTIONALLY REJECTS other orders to fix something.

In fact, I didn't realize until later, but the seatbelts and airbags were malfunctioning at the time I took the "new car" from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
+ 1

This happened to me this afternoon:

-> Pulling out of a parking spot at a shopping center, in reverse, slow and steady, happy.
-> Put it in drive, moved forward for about 10ft, it stuttered a bit, then full on Christmas tree lights on the dash with the "Stop/Pull over safely message.
-> Rebooted everything, no dice
-> Spent the next 60 mn waiting for a tow truck and directing traffic as this was a one way in a tight parking lot. It was 90f and people were cranky. Mind you, they were in their nicely ACed car and I wasn't. But I digress.

I saw a bunch of Teslas as I was directing traffic, in front at the CVS @ Town and Country in Palo Alto...if that was you, hello!. It was me.

They towed it to the SC which was about 1mi away and the app now shows the car "in service, expected date 10/8". Pretty cool real time update. I don't "like" the estimated date, but we shall see when we talk in the AM.

They've taken care of me very well over the years so I am not worried (this is Tesla #2), except this one time when they offered me a Chrysler 300 as a loaner when I was dropping off a P90DL for a significant issue which I/they knew meant they would have the car for 2 weeks +. We had a "chat" about that and all ended well.

Anyway, that's my adventure for the day. I still love my car though.

The details:
MS75 (fka MS60 with locked battery).
2016, vin in the 146x / 37k mi
Running 2020.36.3.1

Last edited:
Brief update: my interaction with the service center has been flawless so far. All communication done efficiently by text, loaner secured by mid day today (clean MS75D).

As luck would have it, the car was working just fine when they took it off the truck last night. They could see the error messages in the log etc, but nothing more. Thankfully, I had to go get something from my car so the service guy (super nice) just started driving my car over...and bam, it happened again. We were both relieved that they could reproduce it I think, or at least, I was.

They haven't looked at it in details, but the tech who witnessed it and came over did mention the D.U. word though. More to follow.