Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on ebay seems legit. And cheaper

Tesla Service Cable Ethernet FakraHSD for Toolbox 2.0ft Model S/X | eBay

$_0.JPG

Hello
I would like to make my own cable to use with Scan my Tesla.

After reading some threats, I dont get whats the proper diagram for a 2013 model S to get the info for scan my tesla.
Should I make a cable of only 4 wires? Whats the diagram?
10 cables?

Thank you

Imgur <-- Connection diagram

Imgur <-- Connector types

You want to order a cable with Z connectors on line, then cut it and use a network cable to splice it.
The Z connector is Universal and will connect to any other one.
That's not the right cable for what @RuralP85 wants to do. That's the diag ethernet cable. @RuralP85 needs an OBD cable for ScanMyTesla. I use this one from Maxwell Auto Tech: Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (2012 - early '15) – Crimped OBD-II | eBay

I'm not sure why people are building diagnostic ethernet cables, anyway. Do you guys have cracked version of the Tesla Toolbox or something?

Reactions: StarLog and Krash
What I would like to do is the following:

- connect to the odb2 port
- log data to storage as a buffer
- push data from storage to an API or even better MQTT for processing

The storage is pretty important as there will not always be connectivity.

The idea is to only do this during drives via an obdlink mx connected to my Google Pixel 3.

So far I've used ScanMyTesla which a custom proprietary API to a 3rd party logger. It also has an option to log to local storage and then you can use a file synchronisation tool to push the files to cloud storage, etc. but this has lots of overhead. It works for logging but it would be nice if it could be pretty low latency with a few seconds delay would be fine with me.

I've found AdrOBD which also support MQTT. I'm unsure about the buffering of data in case of connectivity issues but its a start. It does connect to the obdlink but does not use I think the right protocol as it does not show any data.

The app shows the following protocols:

• SAE J1850 PWM (41.6Kbaud)
  • SAE J1850 VPW (10.4Kbaud)
  • ISO9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 Kbaud)
  • ISO14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 Kbaud)
  • ISO14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 Kbaud)
  • ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
  • ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
  • ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 250 Kbaud)
  • ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID, 250 Kbaud)
  • SAE J1939 CAN (29 bit ID, 250* kbaud)
  • User1 CAN (11* bit ID, 125* kboud)
  • User2 CAN (11* bit ID, 125* kboud)

Any idea what the protocol should be?

Annoyed with overpriced cables using X437A connector for later Model S and X cars, OVMS made our own.

OVMS Data Cable for Later Tesla Model S/X
US$14.50, including basic shipping.​

The cable provides access to the three most useful CAN buses, for later Tesla Model S and X vehicles using Sumitomo 6098-5622 (X437A) connector. It also exposes CAN2+Body bus (but requires custom replacement of DB9 connector to use).

Code:
Pinout: OVT2
[LIST]
[*]6098-5622 DB9-F    Signal
[*]---------      --------     --------
[*]       18            7        CAN0-H
[*]       2             8        CAN2-H
[*]       6             1        K-Line
[*]       13            5        CAN1-H
[*]       19            2        CAN0-L
[*]       3             6        CAN2-L
[*]       20            3        GND
[*]       1             9        +12V
[*]       14            4        CAN1-L
[*]       9           n/c       CAN2+Body (no connection at DB9-F)
[*]       10          n/c       CAN2-Body (no connection at DB9-F)
[*]Cable: 1m in length, 11 core
[*]DB9-F: Moulded
[*]6098-5622 Heat-shrink tubing to protect end of cable
[*]Label: "OVT2" in black-on-white lettering, shrink to cable
[/LIST]

This cable can be used to connect OVMS to a later Model S or X, or for general CAN bus hacking on those cars.

Enjoy.

perfect @markwj, very nice of you to offer this.

I am selfish. I needed some for myself. It is as easy to make 100 here as a couple.

I hope the design is useful to others. The standard cable has ground, power, body CAN, powertrain CAN, chassis CAN, and k-line, already on the DB9. The body-ft bus is there, but you'll need to cut off the DB9 and put your own connector on for that if you want access to it.

OVMS now has basic support for Model S and X, using the appropriate X437 (OVT1) or X437A (OVT2) cables.

Annoyed with overpriced cables using X437A connector for later Model S and X cars, OVMS made our own.

OVMS Data Cable for Later Tesla Model S/X
US$14.50, including basic shipping.​

The cable provides access to the three most useful CAN buses, for later Tesla Model S and X vehicles using Sumitomo 6098-5622 (X437A) connector. It also exposes CAN2+Body bus (but requires custom replacement of DB9 connector to use).

Code:
Pinout: OVT2
[LIST]
[*]6098-5622 DB9-F    Signal
[*]---------      --------     --------
[*]       18            7        CAN0-H
[*]       2             8        CAN2-H
[*]       6             1        K-Line
[*]       13            5        CAN1-H
[*]       19            2        CAN0-L
[*]       3             6        CAN2-L
[*]       20            3        GND
[*]       1             9        +12V
[*]       14            4        CAN1-L
[*]       9           n/c       CAN2+Body (no connection at DB9-F)
[*]       10          n/c       CAN2-Body (no connection at DB9-F)
[*]Cable: 1m in length, 11 core
[*]DB9-F: Moulded
[*]6098-5622 Heat-shrink tubing to protect end of cable
[*]Label: "OVT2" in black-on-white lettering, shrink to cable
[/LIST]

This cable can be used to connect OVMS to a later Model S or X, or for general CAN bus hacking on those cars.

Enjoy.

Excellent! This might also work directly with my DB9 CANserver.
Question...can you also make harnesses for Model 3, potentially with custom CAN connector instead of OBD?
For that matter, can you make tap-in harnesses for the 3/Y ICE computer?
These are all Sumitomo connectors.

Question...can you also make harnesses for Model 3, potentially with custom CAN connector instead of OBD?

Probably. The Sumitomo X437A connectors were not too hard to find here (and at an obviously reasonable price). By comparison, we can't find the X437 connectors at all, and need to bring them in from USA (in bulk reels).

I've never liked the OBDII connector. Too klunky and non-standard. The cables we make all start with a sealed moulded female DB9, and use the OVMS style pinout at that end (power, ground, 3x CAN buses, and a single-wire pin for stuff like K-line/LIN). The factory I use can put pretty much whatever we want at the other end. If someone really needs OBDII, they can either cut off the DB9 (and replace), or use an adaptor. The CAN1, power, and ground, on the DB9 are pretty standard for USB-CAN loggers (or as close to a standard as I've ever seen for this).

If you guys think there is a need for this, please let me have the details of what you think is required. My eMail is mark (at) openvehicles (dot) com.

For that matter, can you make tap-in harnesses for the 3/Y ICE computer? These are all Sumitomo connectors.

I thought for 3/Y, the best place to tap into the CAN buses was at the rear of the centre armrest thing?

From an OVMS point of view, we really concentrate on tapping into CAN buses. Our goal here is to make it easier to 'open' these vehicles and work on them.